Opinions

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a classic,trouble is I have a choice to make between a 1955 Ariel 500HS Replica,or a 1948 Matchless G80C,the Matchless is £1500 more than the Ariel but I am really attracted to it.I would probably be looking at spending a bit on the Ariel ,but the Matchless needs nothing doing to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 414
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 432
My advice is: If you're in a financial position to buy the Matchless, do it. It's the bike you want. It's not like buying a bike for commuting or as your main transport, where it has to make financial sense. Buy the bike that puts the biggest smile on your face.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, I'd choose the Matchless too. It's got more character.

I'm not well up on classics but I see the word replica used in connection with the ariel. It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. Like would u buy a say, RD400 replica? Or a ornigiol GT750? JJH

I have an Ariel Red Hunter in the stable, so you could say I am biased,BUT, I would go for the Matchless. Its a really pretty looking bike.

I've had both in the past but matchbox is the best option ( I've had two)

Don't discount the Ariel, it looks to have an all alloy VHA or HS engine which is a much better motor than the iron G80C one on the bike you are looking at. I suppose it depends on what you want from the bike, the Matchless would doubtless be easier to sell on but the Ariel could be a better ride. If both rode well and there was no vast difference in condition I would go for the Matchless (but wished I'd waited for a BSA B34 Competition).:beerjug:

The consensus vote has it.......and I'd go for the Matchless as well.

I'm not even remotely in to old bikes, but out of those two, I'd walk away from the Ariel without a second glance backwards, but the Matchless I could sit and gaze at while I ate my pub lunch and looked forwards to riding it home......it's got 'it', whatever the fekk 'it' is :nenau

If you get the Matchless you will at least have something pretty to look at whilst you await the recovery truck :D

I've had Ariels for years and am an active member of the AOMCC. I've got a '58 'VH' 500 at the moment and would love an 'HS' (the Scrambler) or, more so, an 'HT' (the Trials Iron).

BUT.

The Ariel is a replica and a genuine 'HS' is very different to a road bike - frame, cams, piston, bottom-end, tank and probably a load of items that I don't know about. They certainly don't have pillion footrests or hydraulic front brake conversions like the one in the picture. They are very scarce which is why people mock them up out of 'VHs'.

The Matchless looks genuine - go for that ;).

Bob.

Matchless

Well i think that's settled then,I've bought the G80,I rode it this afternoon and loved it,it looks even better in the flesh than in the photos,it's a 1948 G80 that's been rebuilt into a G80C,the forks are genuine Competition items with a larger front drum etc.it needs nothing doing to it and has the benefit of being pre Mot and tax exempt.very pleased with it.I need to make some space in my garage so will be picking it up in the new year.

Good decision, I hope it serves you well.

Show us more pics when you have it on the road :drool.

Bob.

Back
Top Bottom