Advice Please

Cooky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Am looking to buy an offroad bike for green lanes in Herts. I live in North London so it needs to be able to handle some road work too to get from north London out to some of the lanes around Stevenage etc. I don't want to get a van. Just sold my 200cc AJP PR4 because it was too under powered for the road albeit fine for the offroad stuff.

I would also like it to be something that has the longer service intervals of 'normal bikes' if possible ie not too high maintenance. Any suggestions?

You'll get all sorts of advise on here so given your criteria I'll Kick off with the DRZ 400 :D

yamaha wr 250r just a bit more modern better suspension, sits at 70 on the road fuel injection,,,,,,,,,loads of info on them on adventure rider

DRZ 400 all day long if you can handle it being a bit heavy. Totally capable off road, long service intervals compared to some others. Easy ride on road.
I went from a DR to a TE510 and the change in servicing was shocking.

No electric start:blast

Sorry, I didn't see a requirement for electric start in the post. If riders cant kick a XR400R they are not as able as my grandson who is 11. I have a XR650R with hot cam etc and can kick it in flip flops. I'm 60 in June.............Firt time I've admitted my age.:blast..................but I still feel 21. When I'm on any motorbike.;) I've never ridden a DZR but had a SP370 new in 1980. Pulled like a train but not reliable like the DZR. I was happy to own it and happy to get rid of it too.:)

I had a WR450 for a couple of years - serviced it once a year like any normal bike (ie, not like every so many hours on an exc ..) and it had enough poke to sit at 70+ on the motorway :D

(ye Gods it used to weave if you hit 80 ... !!)

Pretty bullet proof ... :thumb2

KTM 500

I live on the border of Essex and London , which often means a 20 mile ride to the lanes in Herts.

The 500 has the legs to do the road /motorway work without it feeling like it is going to shake itself to bits.

An old leccy start DR350 (if you can find one?) failing that another vote here for the DRZ400 :thumb2

I can't disagree with that sentiment

2f9d73919d52d5c9f70f9206a68f0c72.jpg

I am a member of Herts TRF member. I ride a KTM 500 it is fine for all of our lanes. It is only anything more technical that I struggle with.

Sorry, I didn't see a requirement for electric start in the post. If riders cant kick a XR400R they are not as able as my grandson who is 11. I have a XR650R with hot cam etc and can kick it in flip flops. I'm 60 in June.............Firt time I've admitted my age.:blast..................but I still feel 21. When I'm on any motorbike.;) I've never ridden a DZR but had a SP370 new in 1980. Pulled like a train but not reliable like the DZR. I was happy to own it and happy to get rid of it too.:)

Clearly you are from legendary stock and this has made it's way to your grandson. I however prefer to use an electric start when situations dictate and quite frankly find kick-start alone inadequate. I'm guessing you have only done light trails and never really challenged the bike otherwise you'd realize the benefit of dual kick and electric start.

Back
Top Bottom