TT Rider 400 vs V5

Phil-H

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrate my Urban Rider to a widescreen V5 or 400.
I like the useability & functions of my current unit & am presuming the V5 will be largely the same.
Is there any TT users running the 400 that have had the older rider units, if so how do you find it, quality of navigation, have any bugs been sorted etc?

Any input gratefully recieved.

Cheers, Phil

Phil, I've got a Rider and had a 400 since April.
A lot of the teething bugs have been sorted now.
The 400 took some getting used to, as the user interface is very different.
In a lot of ways the 400 is better - when paired to a smartphone it will search map + Internet , this is really helpful. When within an Average Speed Camera Zone, it displays the speed limit and your actual average speed .
On the negative side, rearranging multiple way points, is a ball ache.
I've used it for over 7,000 miles in UK and Spain and it was very good.
The new powered mount appears to be better quality than the Rider, I went through 3 of them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff, I expect a bit of re familiarisation with a new product but don't want to go back to the dark days of the Zumo 660!

Are earlier units able to be upgraded to the latest software?

Phil

The software updates, latest map and speed cameras are piped in as soon as you hook the 400 up to a PC via the new TomTom MyDrive program.

Another nice feature is that you can search for a destination on a Smartphone, iPad or PC and upload it remotely to the 400
29642117bb6c57b545dcde01c360a722.jpg

I had a V5(still in the drawer) and am using a 400 now. As mentioned above, the software has been upgraded and now does what I expect of a sat nav.

Having used Tom Tom units in the past, this new unit is faster on recalculating route changes etc. , the side bar shows petrol stations and distance to same along the route.
The routes can be planned as before and downloaded via usb to the 400 (been using TYRE route planner for years), there is also a micro sd port which can also be used to download / store routes.

Thank you, it's all sounding quite positive for the 400. Initial google searches showed the 400 owners had plenty of grumbles.

I tend not to get too techy with sat navs (or anything else for that matter!) & don't plan many routes via pc & not many via Itinery Planning nowadays & tend to do routes via winding roads which tends to work quite well.
But I want a unit thats reasonably intuitive with an element of future proofing :)

Cheers Phil

Ok, a new 400 premium has landed on my doorstep.....
And after aninitial fiddle.w I don't like it!
I've not plugged it into the computer for updates etc as I want to leave it 'virginised' incase I decide to return (and buy an outgoing v5)

Am I missing something?
Do the updates change much on the useability front?
Am I mad?

Input welcome.
Phil

Tomtom Rider 400

I Don't like it either Phil, I have the Rider v2 and v5 both have the itinary planning which I use a lot. :mad:

The 400 has done away with this which is a backward step ( for me ).

No where near as user friendly as the earlier models, what are Tomtom doing making a good GPS bad.

I am struggling to get to grips with this GPS and may offload it.

I Don't like it either Phil, I have the Rider v2 and v5 both have the itinary planning which I use a lot. :mad:

The 400 has done away with this which is a backward step ( for me ).

No where near as user friendly as the earlier models, what are Tomtom doing making a good GPS bad.

I am struggling to get to grips with this GPS and may offload it.

No itinerary planning ??????? I load planned routes all the time for my trips.

Thanks for the input guys, it's all interesting info

I have fiddled with the 400 when it first arrived by making several theoretical routes, navigating somewhere, navigating with waypoints, A-B routes etc etc.
Initially I was going round and round in infuriating circles, even just trying to go somewhere wasn't proving easy, before even to change it to a fastest/eco/avoid m-way/winding roads or using the 'plan a thrill' thing.

I was ready to send it back and get an outgoing v5....
Google searches showed the units to be a bit 'buggy' and not always logical when initially released, however, I updated it yesterday and had a browse of the online user manual posted above - it does help.

After the update, I had another go planning various theoretical routes on the device yesterday and with a combination of info from the manual & update - I'm now happy that I made the right decision.
With familiarity many any things are an improvement over the older models - once you get familiar with it's format, menus & sub menus.

I guess thats the price of progress.

Anyway, it's far better than my old 660 Zumo which continually infuriated me even after 9 months.

I have yet to use tyre pro & plan/export routes as I generally leave trips quite fluid but will have a go as I've now got the free code.

Stick with it.

Phil

Thanks for the input guys, it's all interesting info

I have fiddled with the 400 when it first arrived by making several theoretical routes, navigating somewhere, navigating with waypoints, A-B routes etc etc.
Initially I was going round and round in infuriating circles, even just trying to go somewhere wasn't proving easy, before even to change it to a fastest/eco/avoid m-way/winding roads or using the 'plan a thrill' thing.

I was ready to send it back and get an outgoing v5....
Google searches showed the units to be a bit 'buggy' and not always logical when initially released, however, I updated it yesterday and had a browse of the online user manual posted above - it does help.

After the update, I had another go planning various theoretical routes on the device yesterday and with a combination of info from the manual & update - I'm now happy that I made the right decision.
With familiarity many any things are an improvement over the older models - once you get familiar with it's format, menus & sub menus.

I guess thats the price of progress.

Anyway, it's far better than my old 660 Zumo which continually infuriated me even after 9 months.

I have yet to use tyre pro & plan/export routes as I generally leave trips quite fluid but will have a go as I've now got the free code.

Stick with it.

Phil

Just been on the phone to Tomtom help, I can now see the light and think I will be keeping my 400.

Please let us know how you get on.
Out of interest, how did they help?

Used mine now to navigate over 7,500 miles, in UK and Europe, it does the job well, once you are familiar with it. I've got the older Rider as a back-up, pleased to say never had to resort to using it , so the old one will be going on eBay soon

I had never bothered with a satnav but as I have plans for more long trips abroad I thought I'd get one, I know they are useful in cities that you don't know. Everybody seems to moan about every make so when I saw what looked like a very good deal on the 400 from a German website (£362 delivered) I jumped in. It came complete with powered, locking bike mount and a powered quick release screen fixed car mount, lifetime upgrades and lifetime European mapping. Not sure how they specify "lifetime".

I soon got to grips with it, hooked it up to my phone and on a trip down to Hinckley it showed just how useful it can be. It used the phone link to get live traffic data and offered me alternative routes that would be quicker than staying on the M6. We were travelling in convoy with our son but had been split up in heavy traffic when we ended up in different lanes. He had disappeared ahead of us when the 400 offered an alternative route that would apparently save us ten minutes. I took the route and my wife phoned son to tell him what we had done. We arranged to meet up and continue the trip following the instructions from the 400. He was just over ten minutes behind us. After that I started to trust the newfangled electronic work of the devil :)

I had never bothered with a satnav but as I have plans for more long trips abroad I thought I'd get one, I know they are useful in cities that you don't know. Everybody seems to moan about every make so when I saw what looked like a very good deal on the 400 from a German website (£362 delivered) I jumped in. It came complete with powered, locking bike mount and a powered quick release screen fixed car mount, lifetime upgrades and lifetime European mapping. Not sure how they specify "lifetime".

I soon got to grips with it, hooked it up to my phone and on a trip down to Hinckley it showed just how useful it can be. It used the phone link to get live traffic data and offered me alternative routes that would be quicker than staying on the M6. We were travelling in convoy with our son but had been split up in heavy traffic when we ended up in different lanes. He had disappeared ahead of us when the 400 offered an alternative route that would apparently save us ten minutes. I took the route and my wife phoned son to tell him what we had done. We arranged to meet up and continue the trip following the instructions from the 400. He was just over ten minutes behind us. After that I started to trust the newfangled electronic work of the devil :)

Welcome to the dark side Packer 👍

Please let us know how you get on.
Out of interest, how did they help?

They remotely took over my computer and showed me what I wanted to know while speaking on the phone, cant fault them.

I bought a TomTom Go 500 for the cafe and really liked the traffic avoidance facility, so decided to sell my Rider V and buy the Rider 400. It's much easier using effectively the same device in both vehicles. I've not used it on the bike yet, as the Adv is cowering in the garage, hiding from the thick layer of salt and molasses that Norfolk County Council decided was essential to spread in this unseasonably warm January, but I have little doubt it'll behave as well as it's car-based sibling...

Can you skip way points easily if you miss one on a planned route? Does it have an mp 3 player?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom