May 2016 Germany

J biker

Reaction score
Looking to do a long weekend via Newcastle/Amsterdam ferry next year. Probably head towards Cochem, Nurburgring, maybe Baden Baden or Eifel national park. Depending on weather.
Are there any great roads or sites worth seeing on the way down there? Done the crossing many times but just hit the motorways between Cochem or Black Forest in the past and wonder if Im missing something.

the roads around cochem are brill, you can't go to Baden Baden and not try the B500!!!

seems a long way down for a long weekend..id add a couple more days in if you can and enjoy the sights ...

Been on the B500 and others around Baden Baden a few times. Good.
Mosel valley, Cochem etc probable. Just wonder if Im missing something good with the direct roads used to get there.
Only got long weekend this year due to other commitments....otherwise would keep going down to Dolomites ;)

Just head down to Aachen on the motorway and then take the B258 to the Nurburgring before dropping don to Cochem. There's no interesting route through Holland.

The war museum at Overloon is worth a visit in the way :thumby:

I'm over there in April for the umpteen time and never tire of the place, just pick a road and ride is the best advice. There's no good route down to the Ring - Mosel, just as Sven said is about as good as it comes.

As with many things in life, it depends on how much of an effort you are prepared to make and how long you've set aside to get from the Dutch coast to Cochem, or wherever it is you want to go.

Start with: Do you have any maps? No? OK, go and buy some they are very cheap.

Where to go: You could, depending on time (but it's really not far) go....

Coast > motorway to say Liege > Spa (have a look at the race circuit) > Malmedy > waives > Bullingen > German border > Hallsschlag > Kelberg > Ulmen > Cochem

OR

Malmedy > St Vith > Clervaux > Vianden > German border > Bitburg > Trauben-Trarbach > Cochem

Of the two, the second would be my suggestion.

Now to the Black Forest..... Google up ADAC Motorrad. Hunt a bit in their German website (you can't break it) and you'll find lots of ready made 'Great biker roads, mate' maps for all sorts of areas. The ones you need are there, for sure.

All from five minutes looking at a map / at Google maps.

Considering he's riding from IJmuiden, these would be better as day trips from Cochem rather than the route there IMHO

I drove from Bastogne to the Nurburgring via Clervaux a couple of years ago and the roads and scenery were lovely :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 767
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 775
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 758
As with many things in life, it depends on how much of an effort you are prepared to make and how long you've set aside to get from the Dutch coast to Cochem, or wherever it is you want to go.

Start with: Do you have any maps? No? OK, go and buy some they are very cheap.

Where to go: You could, depending on time (but it's really not far) go....

Coast > motorway to say Liege > Spa (have a look at the race circuit) > Malmedy > waives > Bullingen > German border > Hallsschlag > Kelberg > Ulmen > Cochem

OR

Malmedy > St Vith > Clervaux > Vianden > German border > Bitburg > Trauben-Trarbach > Cochem

Of the two, the second would be my suggestion.

Now to the Black Forest..... Google up ADAC Motorrad. Hunt a bit in their German website (you can't break it) and you'll find lots of ready made 'Great biker roads, mate' maps for all sorts of areas. The ones you need are there, for sure.

All from five minutes looking at a map / at Google maps.

As ever Wapping is on the money, have a gander at Spa circuit, Google the old circuit and see if you can find it ? Then head east and pick up the 258, it will take you along some fine tarmac all the way to the ring.

Thanks. A few suggestions there. Been to the Ring twice, Cochem once and Black Forest three times. Always feel I might have missed something!

Well, booked up for 1st May bank holiday. Friday out and return on Wednesday.
Nurburgring area to start.
Will give the B258 a try then work off maps and sat nav. ;)

Thanks Redboots, will keep that in mind. Taking my fiancee with me this time so more sight seeing than hooning is in order.

Just head down to Aachen on the motorway and then take the B258 to the Nurburgring before dropping don to Cochem. There's no interesting route through Holland.

The war museum at Overloon is worth a visit in the way :thumby:

Seconded :)

There are so many nice routes within the Eifel, you could spend a week doing these alone and not be bored or do the same one twice.

Although the B500 is nice and a must-do, the traffic and police interest on bank holidays (German and French ones) and on sunny weekends can dampen the "Ahem" appreciation of speed ;-)

Whatever route you take after Aachen and en route to Baden Baden, you'll be smiling all the way!

Piccies on return please, has been three years since my last trip and I need a kick up the backside to go again.

Andy

There is quite a nice tour in this months Touren Fahrer, around the Hunsrück if anyone is going to that area.
As with a lot of their tours, its as much about things you can see as good roads, like the 360m Geirerlay hanging bridge between Mörsdorf & Sosberg. No, you cant ride it :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HMsmHG9CpxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a pic of the route.

Attachments

• hunsrueck1.jpg
    hunsrueck1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 653

Back
Top Bottom