Is this a Lancaster?

tyclyd

Gary
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know it is a little off topic but could anyone here definitively confirm whether this is indeed a Lancaster, or anything about the plane... it a photo with my Grandfather who was WW2 ground crew (a firefighter) but I know very little about aircraft or his history and am just starting to explore a little of his WW2 past.

Thanks

Gary

Attachments

• Plane 1.jpg
    Plane 1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 993
  • Plane 2.jpg
    Plane 2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,025
I cant believe your a male adult (assuming British) and you don't know what a Lancaster looks like? didn't you build Airfix models when you were younger?? or watch the Dambusters??? Ok admittedly a Lancaster is fairly similar to a Sterling but you can easily tell the difference.

However, you must be very proud of your grandfather (I would be) although not directly in the firing line he did his bit for the war effort and a very important job too.

:clap:clap:clap

To be honest I did think it was a Lancaster I thought the air intake just below the cockpit was fairly distinctive. I know very little about my grandfather he died when I was very young I have memories of his flat felt hat and some vague recollections of a rubber handled firemans axe. I know nothing about his rank or operational units I have his date of birth and full name so I'm going to do a bit of research over the next few days. Thanks for your feedback so far

Gary@tyclyd.co.uk

To be honest I did think it was a Lancaster I thought the air intake just below the cockpit was fairly distinctive. I know very little about my grandfather he died when I was very young I have memories of his flat felt hat and some vague recollections of a rubber handled firemans axe. I know nothing about his rank or operational units I have his date of birth and full name so I'm going to do a bit of research over the next few days. Thanks for your feedback so far

See if you can find any more photos , if you can find one with the aircraft reg number you should be able to locate its base and go from there .

Just a thought :D

I think you can use his full name and date of birth to get his service record from here. Takes a while and costs £30. You may need to prove your are next of kin to get the full gen.

Google can help a lot if only to help find out how to search etc.

HTH

A

If you ever find yourself over in Lincolnshire you can have a look at this one and some days they carry out a taxi runs. The future goal is to get it airworthy. Interesting way to spend a few hours.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 846
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 980
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 902
Just Jane is being restored to flight, so hopefully we'll see this again soon :thumby:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 843
There were many WW2 Lancaster bases with the majority in the East of England, with about half of the total in Lincolnshire alone

images

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/...AF-Bomber-Command-base-in-England-mapped.html

Yes!!!
My dad was Lancaster crew (engineer) at RAF Killinghurst....
You need to do some research and find out where your grandfather was based. I wish I'd spoken to my dad about his experiences when he was here to ask but I doubt he would have really told me what it was like....

Shorts Stirling.....engines by and large being the most noticeable difference along with the slope forward of the canopy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 776
Shorts Stirling.....engines by and large being the most noticeable difference along with the slope forward of the canopy.

It's not tall enough , the aircraft in the OP photo , and it does t have a bubble canopy like the Stirling . I'd say a very early Lanc

Do you what squadron he was posted to, or airfield.... Plenty of information out on the net. Good luck with your quest.....

However, you must be very proud of your grandfather (I would be) although not directly in the firing line he did his bit for the war effort and a very important job too.

:clap:clap:clap

I'd bet he was very much in the line of fire being stationed at an airfield in WW2. Any airfield was a prime target for the Jerry bombers.

If you ever find yourself over in Lincolnshire you can have a look at this one and some days they carry out a taxi runs. The future goal is to get it airworthy. Interesting way to spend a few hours.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk

Lincolnshire bike nights have a 'bike night' visit here in the summer and it's a great night and well worth a ride out, hundreds of bikers and the engineers get the Lanc out and run up the engines, it's an awesome experience, and for some it's quite emotional.

check it out here...

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/Special-Events/lincolnshire-bike-night.htm

Back
Top Bottom