Coast to Coast advice wanted!

uncle balders

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm planning to ride from Baltimore the Los angeles this summer. Looking for a hotel near Baltimore docks so any ideas recommendations warmly welcomed. Also how tricky or easy is it to collect your bike from Baltimore docks, how much notice do you need to give them. Also at the other end anyone freighted their bike from LA...any helpful advice again welcomed!

I've used the red roof inn in Baltimore before and it's handy enough akthough you will have to take a bus/taxi to the port. The port is quite a way out of Baltimore.

It used to be a very simple process and I've done it 3 times in Baltimore. However, things have changed a bit. Talk to your shipper and (I presume it's ro/ro via Vilnius Wilhelmshaven) and he should be able to point you in the right direction. You need to be accompanied onto the dock which will cost you about $100 which is a bit of a scam. You then go and see your agent who will then take you to customs where you get the 3rd degree and fill out reams of paperwork. Then you can get your bike out. If I recall, my shipper said give it 4/5 days after the boat arrives. It sounds nightmare but it's not too bad and should take you a morning to get your bike out.

I've shipped back from Long Beach and it's not too bad but it's a bit out of the way. If you are shipping ro/ro, you can only ship your bike and no luggage so be warned. They also won't guarentee when you get it back! Don't even thing about airfreighting as the cost will break you.

I have a couple of containers coming back from San Francisco next summer and would have room for your bike if the dates suit. I can ship the bike back with all your gear which makes a big difference for your flight home! It's a much better place to finish a trip to be honest as LA is a hell hole on a bike.

Happy to help you with routes and places to see as well if you need it.

Massive thanks for this. Once I've picked the bike up from Baltimore I know I will feel relieved etc. would definitely prefer to go from San fran than la so that would be great. No firm dates yet but I guess it would be around first three weeks August or perhaps last week in July so I guess I need to get a wiggle on and start booking flights etc which look crazy expensive for direct flights!

Flights sorted. Shipping sorted. 26 days and 14 hours to go!!!!!!!!!!! Buggar the exchange rate I'm off - trip of a lifetime!

Back
Top Bottom