GPX - Ride magazine routes - BIG FILE

leedude03

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For anyone wanting all the ride routes in one file its here, be aware its a large file and contains all the routes from over the water (none of the uk). it will open in either basecamp or map source, but will be very slow depending on your pc or mac spec. Basecamp will be faster.
It contains all their routes including the adventure routes and the full routes, as well as the full routes in sections. all in all 565 routes and 2284 waypoint/points of interest.
Ride magazine deseve high praise indeed for their efforts when you look into the detail of what they have done.
link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mp05kymmwrcztp/1 all ride routes ex uk.gdb?dl=0

There maybe the odd route twice if you come across this just delete it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! Thank you for making tge effort and sharing it with everyone. All you'll have to do now is keep it up to date.

I've stickied it for you and copied it into the GPS Routes section.

Great work well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The UK rides downoad as a .gpx file (which I was expecting). The European routes download as a .gdb file. Are there any issues importing .gdb files into Basecamp?

No issues.

As usual, you might get some movement of the route between way or shaping points, depending on:

1. How the individual route was created

2. How your own route calculation preferences are set up. For instance, if your default setting is 'wiggly roads' and there are two points widely spaced apart, your computer / software may well connect the points up by routing the line of travel down roads it perceives to be 'wiggly'. These may or may not coincide with the roads chosen by whoever made the route in the first place.

You'd maybe get these changes with a .gpx file and / or on transfer to a GPS device anyway.

I have all my routing preferences turned off on my computer and GPS device, which should reduce the chances of this happening.

Other than that, it should go straight into BaseCamp. Have a go, it won't break.

PS I often see the conversion happen on jaunts. Let's say I create a route that has 20 miles of motorway in it to get us going in the morning. If a bod has his device set to 'Avoid all motorways' then there is a very good chance the route displayed on his device will (if it can work out a way to avoid the motorway, as that is what it's been asked to do by default) will differ significantly from my version. The bod will, quite truthfully, report 'But I am following the route' as he hurtles off up a goat track for the 10th time. Yup, he's following his version of it, that's for sure. Turning off all his preferences cures the problem, more often than not.

I have just downloaded leedude03's file, it's certainly large.

Top bit of work.... Nearly as good as the 100 Virees a moto :ague :D Seriously, many thanks for creating it :clap

I have a pretty powerful Mac, running BaseCamp with hundreds of thousands of miles of routes on it. As it opens up all the files and all the routes, it now takes a while to load but the 'Show all' routes is worth a look; a explosion of lines :bounce1

Any chance gbd file please< PC numpty and only use mapsource ,
Pretty sure if you open map source, and then go to file, then open and point it at the file it should open, well at least it does with my version. this maybe because i have base camp as well although i may be wrong.

Any chance gbd file please< PC numpty and only use mapsource ,
Pretty sure if you open map source, and then go to file, then open and point it at the file it should open, well at least it does with my version. this maybe because i have base camp as well although i may be wrong.

Top Man!!! ...done

I can kiss you. Thank you very much for the effort.

A bit of trouble opening Basecamp after installing it. Have to unzip the .exe file and start from the bootstrapper.exe. Don't know why Basecamp wouldn't access the windows registry to launch.

tanneman not sure what you are trying to describe, but i presume you downloaded basecamp as a zip file, you should have then extracted the exe and then installed it from the exe, and then open basecamp from shortcut, this is on a pc dont know about mac.

tanneman not sure what you are trying to describe, but i presume you downloaded basecamp as a zip file, you should have then extracted the exe and then installed it from the exe, and then open basecamp from shortcut, this is on a pc dont know about mac.

Should be near enough the same on a Mac.

The file comes into downloads.

Simply clicking on it should start BaseCamp automatically. The routes should then all appear. As it's a downloaded file it's sometimes necessary to check the file extension; my Mac seems to add .txt to .gpx I have no idea why. Similarly, in BaseCamp it's often necessary to change the name of the download or it get overwritten by the next download.

Back
Top Bottom