Which bike for green-lanes?

My TE630 is 156 kg full of fuel (11 litres), actual weight as I ride it. 120 kg or less fully fuelled would be good for a 250 cc option.

My TE630 was considerably heavier than that for Morocco, what with a full 25 ltr tank and a 240 lb plus kit rider, used to half fill it for green lanes and rope other people into lifting it up when I fell off (which was often).

My TE630 was considerably heavier than that for Morocco, what with a full 25 ltr tank and a 240 lb plus kit rider, used to half fill it for green lanes and rope other people into lifting it up when I fell off (which was often).

I'm on the standard size tank and without the boat anchor standard exhausts (twin Arrows instead). It's not heavy for a 600cc dual sport.

Resurrecting this thread.

I started doing some greenlaning last year and, with time on my hands now :D , I was considering the option of buying a cheapo/reliable bike for that.
So far I've been doing green lanes on my GSA. I'm ok with it, but maybe a slightly lighter/cheaper bike to trash around would be the way to go as I have a lot of learning to do.
I'm fairly slow and with little experience, so I tend to plow around mostly.

"Issues" are:

– I'm 6'3" so I need something tall-ish. My GSA with Ohlins is about right height-wise.
– I'll have to travel to/from the trails from central London.
– I would like a sturdy/reliable bike that I can trash around without having to spend too much money & time in extra maintenance.

From reading the thread, the DR seems the way to go?

How about a 690 Enduro or Husky 701?

They would be great for your height, very light, good fuel range, and fantastic on the road.

They're a bit tall for me so I currently have a KTM500 EXC which is a real animal.

I am however hankering after a Husky 701 because the engine will be smoother and more refined than those in the 690 Enduro (not new model) and bonkers fun on the road.

I'm thinking of trying a CB500x with the Rally Raid adventure kit. Seems like a good compromise between lightweight adventure bike and decent off-road capability...

A friend of mine took one of these to London to China on an adventure holiday. It was just as capable as the KTM's and GS's on the trip.

Afterwards, he had no difficulty in persuading his wife to move from a CB1000F to a CB500X .

Weight was the most important factor for me and even with a bigger fuel tank, screen and luggage rack I’ve kept my 501 down to 119kg with a small amount of fuel in it. If you’re going to stick to local green lanes and not carry any luggage then I suppose adding another 20kg wouldn’t matter but will you be able to resist the lure of the TET?

Not a cheap option by any means but great fun to ride if my memory serves me correctly :blast

Make sure it’s light, and has electric start. Beyond that, the world is your oyster.

A lot of folk massively “overbike” - unless you’re a riding god anything much more that an 250 isn’t really necessary.

Honda CRF230 always floated my boat (I’m 6’3” and all). Yamaha TTR series are good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm thinking of trying a CB500x with the Rally Raid adventure kit. Seems like a good compromise between lightweight adventure bike and decent off-road capability...

A friend of mine took one of these to London to China on an adventure holiday. It was just as capable as the KTM's and GS's on the trip.

Afterwards, he had no difficulty in persuading his wife to move from a CB1000F to a CB500X .

So, despite JB's scepticism back in 2016, I took a CB500x Rally Raid all the way from London to Beijing, with over 2,000 miles of off road, including the Wakhan valley, on the way.

Near perfect tool for the job. Not a single mechanical fault - unlike all the GSs with their failed shocks and wheels made from cheese and Tigers with self-loosening head bearings.

It's a tad heavy for serious off-roading but as a real-world dual-sport or adventure travel bike it's the D's Bs...

:beerjug:

So last month I sold my FE390, combination of lack of use and needing funds for no.2 Son gearing up for Uni in October. I knew straight away it was a mistake to sell though.

I had last weekend in Penzance with riding friends. They went out on the green lanes while I went Billy no mates on the roads. Fun but not the same as all going out together.

So, a compromise. Older...but cheaper, lighter and lower. Looks like it’ll be fun

d51933d1b7564a761c5bc40aa5871306.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So last month I sold my FE390, combination of lack of use and needing funds for no.2 Son gearing up for Uni in October. I knew straight away it was a mistake to sell though.

I had last weekend in Penzance with riding friends. They went out on the green lanes while I went Billy no mates on the roads. Fun but not the same as all going out together.

So, a compromise. Older...but cheaper, lighter and lower. Looks like it’ll be fun

d51933d1b7564a761c5bc40aa5871306.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the bottom rear shock clevis..... they have a habit of cracking, due to 2t GG vibes - a man in the know was telling me yesterday

Just picking up on this thread and thinking it would be good to start green lane stuff again, but after a 30 year break! I had XR500's back in the day, but really liked my XL185, low and soft power delivery, could be picked up anywhere. Anything like that these days?

Alternatively maybe just put some trials tyres on my daughters YBR125 and take that!

Had the GasGas mot’d today and came home via a few easy lanes. I’d forgotten how much fun a light two stroke is, lifting the front wheel and instant snap on the throttle. In love again

I just bought a WR250f feels good so far, done the grey wire mod and just bought jets to get the carbs sorted properly.

I shall have to make do with my X Challenge bastard. It is heavier than a 250/450, but not that heavy, especially if I leave the top tank empty and just make do with the 130 miles in the under seat tank - just got to get the off road wheels fitted now... proving difficult because I can't support it to take the axle out! Milk crates seem impossible to find and I don't have the £90 for the fancy stand Johnny Boxer (or was it JohnNicholson?). I tried breeze blocks but it was too unstable.

Back
Top Bottom