Which bike for green-lanes?

Just reading through this old thread and contemplating, no one ever seems to mention the 400/450 yamaha WR's - any reasons not to dip a toe in on one of those?
(450 would be better as it has the electric boot!)

WR's are good and pokey but my experience is they don't get great tractionator in tricky, slippy uphill conditions from a standstill often spinning up or stalling.

Of course lovers of WRs will disagree ;)

WR's are good and pokey but my experience is they don't get great tractionator in tricky, slippy uphill conditions from a standstill often spinning up or stalling.

Of course lovers of WRs will disagree ;)

Didn't Giles used to have a WR..............

Once went on a trail ride with someone on a WR400 - watching him trying to kick start it was quite tiring. A lesson never to buy one without a magic button

Just bought this to replace my 525
It’s absolutely fooking mad:green gri

Attachments

• BDB6ED16-608E-4CEA-9385-BDF17CBD0BEB.jpg
    BDB6ED16-608E-4CEA-9385-BDF17CBD0BEB.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 530
fantastic to ride the 450 is a bit of a hand full in the wet mud , but a dusty trail power on in a corner its so much fun . or just a fast way to a&e

Love my 525, plenty of get up and go but happy to tickle along...

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_50b.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_50b.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 471
I ended up with a 400 exc; perfect for what I want to do, easy to pick up, inexpensive to maintain and good fun to ride.

254b82f0f97c85b5c271df4f678e9c46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently bought a 500EXC and it’s fantastic off road. Really confidence inspiring and so light.

I'm currently using my Husky TE630 to do some green laning, I had never ridden off road until earlier this year when I changed it over from SM wheels to knobblies. Looking ahead to the autumn / winter, I can see the Husky being a bit of a handful when things get muddy and narrow and it's quite heavy to pick up as well. I've decided to look for something much lighter with a smaller engine to use for the lanes, and put the Husky back to SM spec. Looking at smaller Huskies, the TE250/310 seem appropriate, but hard to find. What else is worth looking at? Small engine, 2 or 4 stroke, the taller the better, happy with an older bike as I don't want to spend silly money for something that won't do too many miles.

wr 250 will be a great bike to start with , simple old school . after a while if you need more buy a 450 . husky enduro bike the older red ones are a bit odd ball for parts . when you can ride it to its max move up the power scale.

Love our CRF450's
Both R's converted to road use so weigh fuck all.
Just make sure you do the SS ProX valves/springs and you're on 2k service intervals.

wr 250 will be a great bike to start with , simple old school . after a while if you need more buy a 450 . husky enduro bike the older red ones are a bit odd ball for parts . when you can ride it to its max move up the power scale.

I'm wanting to go lighter than that. It doesn't offer enough of a weight advantage over the TE630 to justify having another bike in the shed.

CRF’s and WR’s are only 100kgs’ish.
I know ours are under 100kgs on the road with fuel in them.

Spec says 114kg dry..............:D

Pushing 120kg with fuel, for a 4stroke

Only 2 strokes are around 100kg's................lol

Spec says 114kg dry..............:D

Pushing 120kg with fuel, for a 4stroke

Only 2 strokes are around 100kg's................lol

Yes even my Husaberg 550 was 109 kg dry and CRF 250s are certainly a lot more than that :D

Can tell you for a fact that both of ours are well under as they go on the scales every MOT.
Was noted on the initial MOT the weight for registration that they are lighter than stated.
My OH can lift her 450 off the deck and whilst she’s strong - she ain’t. That strong!

Back
Top Bottom