Yet another BMW insurance thread!

diplomaticdanny

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Seems that Equity Red Star have decided they no longer want our (BMW) business.

Just changed from a 2006GSA to a 2014GSA although I don't think this was the issue.

Last year, same thing happened, renewal quote came in at more than double what I had paid for the previous year, have got used to this as we all have, got another quote from a different company, rang BMW insurance and they beat the other quote, making it £10 cheaper than previous year.

Quote for renewal came in at more than double again, rang BMW and asked if I have to go the same rigmarole before they will give me a reasonable price, I was told I would get a call back, waited three days and rang them back this afternoon, spoke to the most helpful insurance advisor I have ever spoken to.

She explained that under normal circumstances, I would indeed need to go through getting other quotes for BMW to consider reducing theirs, unfortunately it is now not possible because ERS have put their prices up by a huge percentage and at the same time have removed the ability to negotiate for their advisors. She said she was dreading every BMW renewal telephone call because it will be a shock for most of them.

She then refused to charge me the admin costs of changing the bike on my policy and told me that she would make sure I get my proof of no claims discount posted to me on the 23rd Feb when my policy ends without me having to waste time in their telephone queue.

Have just insured with Bennets with more cover and less excess than BMW (ERS) for £231 instead of £548.

Just for anyone that is interested, my cover is as follows.

£15000 bike + extras
5000 miles a year
Business use
Protected ncd
Breakdown cover that I don't need
Legal cover
Personal accident
Helmet & leather cover
90 days Europe cover
£250 excess
No security devices
Stored in garage overnight
50 years old with 9 years ncd

My insurance is £700 for nearly the same but my is 20,000 mileage and parked anywhere, can't get it any lower

Sent from my
iPhone using Tapatalk

Jut got my BMW (ERS) renewal - £344...
49 yo, parked in garage, 8 years NCD

I went online to BMW (Devitts) and it's £197

Rang the nice young lady - we arent allowed to match the online price - new ERS regs - I will cancel this one and not auto-renew, I hope you stay with us...

How weird a model? :augie

Will ring some others now... :nenau

Jut got my BMW (ERS) renewal - £344...
49 yo, parked in garage, 8 years NCD

I went online to BMW (Devitts) and it's £197

Rang the nice young lady - we arent allowed to match the online price - new ERS regs - I will cancel this one and not auto-renew, I hope you stay with us...

How weird a model? :augie

Will ring some others now... :nenau

Principal (Aegis) is £184 (1x annual payment) with legal, helmet and clothing covered and pillion...

This will make my £1k car insurance calls interesting in a month or so...

My renewal with ERS just came through at £294. I phoned Carole Nash for a quote.

They said £354, I said wow that's dear, he said let me speak to my manager. 3 minutes later he's back at £253.

Are they all just making it up?

Well its that time of year again................BMW insurance renewal £467.85 ! ( 2016 GSA panniers etc ), contact BMW on line same cover but with slightly higher excess ( £150 extra )...........same policy etc etc £205.33 ! Didnt even do it on line in the end as I spoke to Devitts and took out their policy over the phone.
It must be BMW just keeping the unemployment rates down by having more call centre workers....................

Shinyface

BMW Insurance

Been with BMW / Devitts years. Same old story ERS can't discuss its what it is. So I phoned BMW customer services and the chap could have hardly been less interested, I only wanted to register my views on looking after customers fairly. Really poor didn't even sound very clever or the slightest in the bit concerned, must be getting a lot of complaints.???

I will be trying other providers. This year.

Paddy

Last years at BMW 195.00 fully comp age 52 , 7 years no claims kept in garage , 6000miles excess 450 2013 GS LC
This year at BMW 212.39 fully comp age 53, 8 years no claims excess 450 2014 GSA LC

Carol Nash Same cover as above 222.50
AA Cant find the bike so wants you to phone them.:mad:
Bennets. Can find the make and bike i want a quote for , but cant find my presently owned bike including putting my reg number in :mad:

In June last year I renewed the insurance on my 06 GSA with ERS for £138 and then in July I bought a 14my GSA for which ERS charged a further £183

Today I had a renewal notification for both bikes for £629 :eek:

The 06 is going before the current policy runs out so I just insured the 14 GSA with Bennetts on a like for like basis for £196 Fully Comp with a £250 excess which was way less the ERS

Clearly ERS doesn't want the business so fuck em :dabone

Devitts just quoted £99 for a garaged 06 GSA. 52 yr old rider with max ncb.........What used to be Bike Team (now Principal Insurance) is coming in at just over £200 for the renewal which is more than double last years premium.

Got an email from BMW saying that according to their records my insurance is coming up for renewal, after last years double up, thought I'd get a quote from them for this year, luckily there are arms on the chair I was sat on otherwise I would have fallen off.

£954!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's pretty much double last years double up. Hope I'm not in for a shock when I get my Bennetts renewal quote.

And I thought £350 for an old GSA and R1 with Carole Nash was a bit steep. I know the new GSA LC is popular with theives, but £954!!

Rather than start a new thread, just thought I'd add my experience this week into the mix in case it helps anyone.
I agree Carole Nash are prepared to move their price - I have the same thing each year - but they are (otherwise) easy to deal with.
Renewal quote from CN up 20% from £150 last year for 19 yr old GS1100, fully comp, max no claims, 50 yr old rider, garaged.
Went onto Confused.com, put in details and lots of alternatives - including one at CN, same cover, for 20% less than last year.......
Phoned CN, phone operator asked where I found quote - within 10 seconds could tell me exactly what price to the penny - and agreed to change my quote to that.
So happy enough in the end as I'm still paying about the same as I was 10 years ago, and about £30 less than last year - but highlights how insurers obviously try and catch people with higher premiums when they can....

I Have just gone with Bennetts and it was a lot cheaper and just as good as Carol Nash does, one thing I Found with Bennetts was they are very good on the phone, you actually do get help when needed and they will do there upmost when needed

I got my insurance for £159
£14500 with 8 yrs pncb too

Look it's incredibly fucking simple.

Each year you get a quote which, unless you have been stupid enough to agree to auto-renew, you are free to accept or reject. That renewal price may go up, it might go down or it might be the same. If you like it, buy it. If you don't like it or you think that because you live in Berkshire or on the Isle of Muck like some other fucker you have read about you are being ripped-off and your wife screwed over the kitchen table, ring around until you get a price you like.

Look at all the fucking threads in this section. They all end the same way.... people end up happy, after they have made a bit of effort. For every "Bennetts are the dogs bollocks but I've never had to claim" post, there will be 50 more telling you that Carol Nash drops her knickers faster than your daughter at the school prom and that Bennett are scum. They are all three probably right.

Make your own fucking luck. Get on the phone and haggle, just like you do when you buy your bloody motorcycles and over the counter for your awesome boots but sadly not for your 12 tins of nasty lager at the Lidl checkout. This week's price to beat, £98 with a £20 excess.

Look it's incredibly fucking simple.

Each year you get a quote which, unless you have been stupid enough to agree to auto-renew, you are free to accept or reject. That renewal price may go up, it might go down or it might be the same. If you like it, buy it. If you don't like it or you think that because you live in Berkshire or on the Isle of Muck like some other fucker you have read about you are being ripped-off and your wife screwed over the kitchen table, ring around until you get a price you like.

Look at all the fucking threads in this section. They all end the same way.... people end up happy, after they have made a bit of effort. For every "Bennetts are the dogs bollocks but I've never had to claim" post, there will be 50 more telling you that Carol Nash drops her knickers faster than your daughter at the school prom and that Bennett are scum. They are all three probably right.

Make your own fucking luck. Get on the phone and haggle, just like you do when you buy your bloody motorcycles and over the counter for your awesome boots but sadly not for your 12 tins of nasty lager at the Lidl checkout. This week's price to beat, £98 with a £20 excess.

Geez dont slag off insurance companys ffs, Mr insurance will get all upset and spit his dummy :rolleyes::blast:augie

Great, there is now at least one person who's read the advice and will now know what to do when his renewal invitation thuds onto his mat or springs up in his inbox to outrage him.

My efforts were not entirely wasted.

Back
Top Bottom