Ok tell me about your Yamaha T Max experience

My 2019 XP 530 DX won't start!

Side stand is up.
Kill switch is set to on.
Been on an Optimate trickle charger.
Battery showing 12.85 volts
Both brakes held on.
Dash lights up. Horn, screen & lights all work.
I never used the dreaded App (but I'm not the first owner...)
Quite click when pressing start button but no starter motor sound.
Battery removed and checked over - including connections.
Panel A removed
All fuses checked - including the second 15A one that tries to hide round the back. All good.
No loose wires spotted.
Confirmed that there is an electric 'click' sound when either brake is pulled and when side stand is put up - so presumably all those switches working.

? immobiliser issue

All thoughts gratefully received

So - ignition on, but won't turn over. Is there any chance you could have accidentally turned the keyfob off after you turned the ignition on with the start button?

Tried starting it with the centre stand up?

Tried a jump start (they do eat batteries)

Have you tried starting it without the fob using the physical key and the security code?

Any chance of remote immobilisation? Check the app or call the telematics helpdesk (note that you can't use the app unless you've already registered with the telematics firm)

So - ignition on, but won't turn over. Is there any chance you could have accidentally turned the keyfob off after you turned the ignition on with the start button?

Tried starting it with the centre stand up?

Tried a jump start (they do eat batteries)

Have you tried starting it without the fob using the physical key and the security code?

Any chance of remote immobilisation? Check the app or call the telematics helpdesk (note that you can't use the app unless you've already registered with the telematics firm)

One more thought - have you moved it without running it ie in the back of a van or something like that, since it was last run?

So now...

Brand new battery in place.
No start
Tried the emergency mode procedure with the weird raising & lowering of seat and inputting ID code.
Interestingly despite multiple tries the smart key indicater light did not give me the 10 seconds of flashing to acknowledge correct code -it just stayed lit.
Double checked code - definitely coorrect.
No start.

Software problem?

The hunt continues...

So now...

Brand new battery in place.
No start
Tried the emergency mode procedure with the weird raising & lowering of seat and inputting ID code.
Interestingly despite multiple tries the smart key indicater light did not give me the 10 seconds of flashing to acknowledge correct code -it just stayed lit.
Double checked code - definitely coorrect.
No start.

Software problem?

The hunt continues...

I think you need to call telematics in case they have remotely disabled it.

Thanks again jtb

I will phone them tomorrow as only just picked up this message

I was looking for a can of petrol and some matches to 'fix' the bike.

No
Not going
Helpful people at Vodaphone are getting the connection changed to my name from previous owner but they do not think that they are thse cause of the problem.
Waiting for the OBD2 connector to arrive.
Maybe a bit more spannering

Sorry not to have updated earlier - been away.

OBD2 reader found no faults.

Today I trailered her to a Yamaha dealer.

I await their opinion with baited breath...

She lives!

Just back from Yamaha main dealer.
Had a long chat with the mechanic.
When they took it in he thought this will be a 5 minute job.
Oh no!
After trying everything I had and a lot more besides he talked to a Yamaha guru at another branch who said he had dealt with this on 3 other Tmaxs
A phone call to Yamaha tech department (who us mere mortals are not allowed to talk to) and they diagnosed a faulty immobiliser box.
There is a secret (for obvious reasons) bypass procedure so my bike now works fine without the immobiliser being connected.
£170 for all this.

We live and learn.

She lives!

Just back from Yamaha main dealer.
Had a long chat with the mechanic.
When they took it in he thought this will be a 5 minute job.
Oh no!
After trying everything I had and a lot more besides he talked to a Yamaha guru at another branch who said he had dealt with this on 3 other Tmaxs
A phone call to Yamaha tech department (who us mere mortals are not allowed to talk to) and they diagnosed a faulty immobiliser box.
There is a secret (for obvious reasons) bypass procedure so my bike now works fine without the immobiliser being connected.
£170 for all this.

We live and learn.

Good result. Are you going to get the imobiliser box replaced? If not, how does that impact insurance as I assume they would still think the scooter was mobilised.

Not going to get immobiliser replaced.
Never have trusted them.
I wonder how much extra my insurance premium will be without it
Suppose I had better ring them…

New bike for 2022

Yep, just watched a review. Looks very nice does that. My old one was a 2010. Great for what I needed it for but I used to find the ergos not quite right for me (unlike the BMW Sport scoot) - like sitting too high on the seat relative to the bars. After 45 mins used to get pain between shoulders. I wonder if they've changed over the years.

Still riding my old 2011 Tmax 500 every day, now coming up to 50,000 miles. Easiest vehicle to live with I have ever owned. Only issue with it was a broken Oxford heated grip cable, now fixed and reinforced to prevent further issues. With a Termoscud and Muffs fitted its the perfect winter hack.

Handy, as my GSA is currently in bits to sort out gearbox/clutch rattles.

Back
Top Bottom