Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok tell me about your Yamaha T Max experience

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm now seriously considering a T-max after riding a mates Burgman 400. I couldn't stop grinning.

..............Robbo, you have a PM.
    ADAM

2008 R1200GSA
    2011 Yamaha Tmax

Ok tell me about your Yamaha T Max experience

I bit the bullet and bought a new Tmax DX recently.Traded in my T120 Black which turned out to be the biggest pile of shit I've ever owned ( well,apart from a K1200S ).

Anyway,I went for black DX with topbox and back rest.Got an Akra on order.It doesn't need one,obviously but got a great deal on it and a tad more noise and poke won't hurt.

The Tmax IS silly money,but in DX variety,it's bloody good !!!!

Not done a huge amount of miles yet but am loving it.
    Trying to run it in a tad so not gassing the fucker too much just yet,but it's got some grunt.

Only had 2 scoots before-a Gilera Runner 180 stroke ,which flew, and a Kwak J300 last year,which served it's purpose last summer when I was car-less.

But the Tmax is in another league.The J300 was good for getting about locally,but was a bit flat and didn't let you stretch out feet forward like the Tmax does.

I specced the top box with back rest on mine to increase luggage/shopping carrying capability and will be better for g/f on the back too.

The finish on the bike seems very good.

I like the comfort/riding position.The dash is very clear and intuitive.
    All the controls work well.Heated grips and seat both have three-stage heating and both get plenty hot.
    The eleccy screen is fantastic and on the fully high position sits you in a bubble of peace !!
    I've even been using the cruise control a fair bit on open roads-we have silly 35mph speed limit,so I set the cruise to 40ish which stops speeds creeping up too much,and being a scoot without gears,it's very easy and smooth to use and one can simply hit resume as soon as a stretch of clear road appears.
    The keyless ignition/locking works very well.

I took my J300 to Brittany with my ex last summer and can already see a plan with g/f to go further afield.

I always try and get down to Castellane early in the season and that normally involved a few nights there including a blat down the Route Napoleon to have lunch in Antibes.

The place is full of maxi scoots and I've often thought it would be the ideal tool down there (as it is locally here).

So I think I'll fly the g/f to Nice,ride down a few days earlier and then pick her up to have a base in Castellane for a few days.

Should have plenty luggage capability with under seat storage and top box.Just need to sort GPS fixing.

Can't really fault it so far.

Thanks for the review, very interesting. I'm finding my mk4 530 a bit dull, and altho I've only done 2000m on it (had it for 18 months) I'm thinking about chopping it in for the DX.

PS I'm in Antibes every other weekend from March - October, I keep my mk3 down there, perfect for the south of France traffic. More fun to ride than the mk4 for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukmeister View Post
    I'm now seriously considering a T-max after riding a mates Burgman 400. I couldn't stop grinning.

..............Robbo, you have a PM.
    Replied sorry for the delay I was at work ..........in prison ....
    You Soft Southern Jessy

My Glass is half Full

Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    I bit the bullet and bought a new Tmax DX recently.Traded in my T120 Black which turned out to be the biggest pile of shit I've ever owned ( well,apart from a K1200S ).

Anyway,I went for black DX with topbox and back rest.Got an Akra on order.It doesn't need one,obviously but got a great deal on it and a tad more noise and poke won't hurt.

The Tmax IS silly money,but in DX variety,it's bloody good !!!!

Not done a huge amount of miles yet but am loving it.
    Trying to run it in a tad so not gassing the fucker too much just yet,but it's got some grunt.

Only had 2 scoots before-a Gilera Runner 180 stroke ,which flew, and a Kwak J300 last year,which served it's purpose last summer when I was car-less.

But the Tmax is in another league.The J300 was good for getting about locally,but was a bit flat and didn't let you stretch out feet forward like the Tmax does.

I specced the top box with back rest on mine to increase luggage/shopping carrying capability and will be better for g/f on the back too.

The finish on the bike seems very good.

I like the comfort/riding position.The dash is very clear and intuitive.
    All the controls work well.Heated grips and seat both have three-stage heating and both get plenty hot.
    The eleccy screen is fantastic and on the fully high position sits you in a bubble of peace !!
    I've even been using the cruise control a fair bit on open roads-we have silly 35mph speed limit,so I set the cruise to 40ish which stops speeds creeping up too much,and being a scoot without gears,it's very easy and smooth to use and one can simply hit resume as soon as a stretch of clear road appears.
    The keyless ignition/locking works very well.

I took my J300 to Brittany with my ex last summer and can already see a plan with g/f to go further afield.

I always try and get down to Castellane early in the season and that normally involved a few nights there including a blat down the Route Napoleon to have lunch in Antibes.

The place is full of maxi scoots and I've often thought it would be the ideal tool down there (as it is locally here).

So I think I'll fly the g/f to Nice,ride down a few days earlier and then pick her up to have a base in Castellane for a few days.

Should have plenty luggage capability with under seat storage and top box.Just need to sort GPS fixing.

Can't really fault it so far.

Martin , did you find a sat nav kit for the DX ? The one on the yam site looks like it won't do Tom Tom ?
    You Soft Southern Jessy

My Glass is half Full

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1200ADV View Post
    Martin , did you find a sat nav kit for the DX ? The one on the yam site looks like it won't do Tom Tom ?
    Not looked since we 'spoke',to be honest.

I'm sure some one will do something for the new T Maxs soon but couldn't find anything on the 'net when I last looked.

Strawberry fields ... forever Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I tried my sat nav (550) on my MkII, had it mounted on the Ram plate which replaces the clutch master cylinder cover and wired in to the sidelight for switched power. TBH I was never very happy with it as the mount vibrated too much.
    Paul

And don’t forget -the new TMax is also a gnarly adventure bike !!! :-)

I love my Mk1

(It's Bluebird's old one )
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black
    2017 BMW R Nine-T Scrambler X
    1962 BSA Gold Flash
    1980 Kawasaki Z1300
    2006 Suzuki GSF 650
    2003 Sherco 250
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    2001 Yamaha T-Max Mk1
    1979 Yamaha XT500

Looks good Arsey!

I t's on my wish list for commuting during the winter months but the price is a big stumbling block.
    I've gone orange 1290 SA

After riding a Honda NC750 with DCT and continually raving about it, my HK brother last week traded it in for a TmaxDX and time will tell. I asked him if he's looked at the Honda X-ADV with DCT ( which I think looks very interesting) and he hasn't responded. I like the Tmax.
    Too shiny and clean to use it properly.

I plan to test the waters with a Mk3/Mk4 Tmax at a reasonable cost, then decide if upgrading to a newer scoot in future is a necessary/worthwhile expense.

I also hope to revisit Northern Spain in a year or two by Tmax using the Portsmouth/Santander ferry service, probably keeping it simple by wearing Draggin' jeans for riding with evening gear in an Ortleib bag strapped on the rear seat plus some waterproofs. A bikermate with a Burgman 400 has never toured abroad so he is keen to give it a try, I hope a pair of maxi scooters will do the job in comfort and be a fun trip.......... If Andres can tour on a Tomos moped, I guess anything works.
    ADAM

2008 R1200GSA
    2011 Yamaha Tmax

Quote Originally Posted by Pukmeister View Post
    I plan to test the waters with a Mk3/Mk4 Tmax at a reasonable cost, then decide if upgrading to a newer scoot in future is a necessary/worthwhile expense.

I also hope to revisit Northern Spain in a year or two by Tmax using the Portsmouth/Santander ferry service, probably keeping it simple by wearing Draggin' jeans for riding with evening gear in an Ortleib bag strapped on the rear seat plus some waterproofs. A bikermate with a Burgman 400 has never toured abroad so he is keen to give it a try, I hope a pair of maxi scooters will do the job in comfort and be a fun trip.......... If Andres can tour on a Tomos moped, I guess anything works.
    My TMax will def be doing the S of France next year and I might even take it to Asturias next July but we are two up and I might struggle for luggage.

My TMax will def be doing the S of France next year and I might even take it to Asturias next July but we are two up and I might struggle for luggage.
    I've seen website pics of a Tmax with some slim Givi soft panniers fitted to frames. Might be worth checking out if you are taking a pillion? I'll see if I can post a link later.

Edit:

http://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/pr...aha-t-max-530/

http://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/pr...-pannier-bags/
    ADAM

2008 R1200GSA
    2011 Yamaha Tmax

Ok tell me about your Yamaha T Max experience

Fitted the Akra tonight . Took a while as had to remove a few panels to get at the headers more easily. Looks better and feels quicker but rather muted !!

Most likely will drill baffles out tomorrow . Looks easy enough as carbon tip removes easily with two screws giving access to spot welds which are where grub screws would have been on Euro3 exhausts (Euro4 don’t have ‘removable ‘ baffles out of the factory )

Fitted the Akra tonight . Took a while as had to remove a few panels to get at the headers more easily. Looks better and feels quicker but rather muted !!

Most likely will drill baffles out tomorrow . Looks easy enough as carbon tip removes easily with two screws giving access to spot welds which are where grub screws would have been on Euro3 exhausts (Euro4 don’t have ‘removable ‘ baffles out of the factory )
    Did you fit the front baffle ? My mk 4 has a pre pipe baffle and a rear baffle. Left the pre pipe baffle out and it's noisy enough, both out and it's feckin noisy . Nice though ��maybe the Euro 4 's are quieter ?
    You Soft Southern Jessy

My Glass is half Full

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast