Ok tell me about your Yamaha T Max experience

So,a few thoughts on the Tmax DX,now that I’ve given it a good run on a mixture of roads,from fast autoroute cruising to the Route Napoleon twisties to mountain hairpins.

I’ve done 1500 miles in 6 days with 800 more to do in the next 48 hours.

Comfort-fantastic.
Much better than I expected.Longest day was 10 1/2 hours and 470 miles.Arse only started to ache the last hour or so.
Got a bit of tightness between shoulder blades,probably as bars quite wide.

Motor-Very impressed.
Rapid acceleration up to 90+ and will max out at 110/115 ish.
Very smooth,with average economy sitting at 58mpg over 1500 miles.

Handling-very secure and planted,though centre stand touches down quite early when two up with luggage around Route Napoleon ultra twisties

Farkles/features-all work very well.
I love the keyless feature.
The heated grips and seat both get hot enough that level 2 out of 3 is more than enough.
The eleccy screen is brilliant-for 90 mph autoroute cruising just set screen to max height and sit in a bubble of quietness.Then for back roads,lower the screen about 3 inches.
Cruise control is bloody ace-works very well ,especially when you slow right down and then hit resume-it will accelerate briskly back to the set speed.

Luggage-with the Yamaha OE top box and under seat storage it’s great.Plenty of room for all my stuff for 9 days away !

Overall I’m impressed.Only minor niggle is my back is a tad tight but I used to get that on my previous KTM so more me being fucked and old rather than the Tmax’s fault.And if I lived on the Route Napoleon,I’d remove the main stand.

It’s not a cheap scoot but in DX form with all the extras it’ll do everything,including a 2000+ mile trip to the S of France and back and then have fun when down there.

5e09e419740d9b7dd8b99e76e93b14f5.jpg

So,a few thoughts on the Tmax DX,now that I’ve given it a good run on a mixture of roads,from fast autoroute cruising to the Route Napoleon twisties to mountain hairpins.

I’ve done 1500 miles in 6 days with 800 more to do in the next 48 hours.

Comfort-fantastic.
Much better than I expected.Longest day was 10 1/2 hours and 470 miles.Arse only started to ache the last hour or so.
Got a bit of tightness between shoulder blades,probably as bars quite wide.

Motor-Very impressed.
Rapid acceleration up to 90+ and will max out at 110/115 ish.
Very smooth,with average economy sitting at 58mpg over 1500 miles.

Handling-very secure and planted,though centre stand touches down quite early when two up with luggage around Route Napoleon ultra twisties

Farkles/features-all work very well.
I love the keyless feature.
The heated grips and seat both get hot enough that level 2 out of 3 is more than enough.
The eleccy screen is brilliant-for 90 mph autoroute cruising just set screen to max height and sit in a bubble of quietness.Then for back roads,lower the screen about 3 inches.
Cruise control is bloody ace-works very well ,especially when you slow right down and then hit resume-it will accelerate briskly back to the set speed.

Luggage-with the Yamaha OE top box and under seat storage it’s great.Plenty of room for all my stuff for 9 days away !

Overall I’m impressed.Only minor niggle is my back is a tad tight but I used to get that on my previous KTM so more me being fucked and old rather than the Tmax’s fault.And if I lived on the Route Napoleon,I’d remove the main stand.

It’s not a cheap scoot but in DX form with all the extras it’ll do everything,including a 2000+ mile trip to the S of France and back and then have fun when down there.

5e09e419740d9b7dd8b99e76e93b14f5.jpg

Loving the photos.

My TMax used to give me chronic shoulder ache too. For me, it was the feet forward/lean towards the bars ergo's. Needed some Rox risers and it would've been sorted I reckon but not possible on the one I had. Enjoy trip. Jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and better still, if you dig into the settings in the setup menu you can alter the values of each level of seat and bar heating, on a scale of 1-10.

Port Vauban, Antibes, that's the fairway between the capitanerie quai and mole sud. I'm about 200m to the left of where you've taken this pic.

Excellent pics and report, thanks.

...and better still, if you dig into the settings in the setup menu you can alter the values of each level of seat and bar heating, on a scale of 1-10.

Port Vauban, Antibes, that's the fairway between the capitanerie quai and mole sud. I'm about 200m to the left of where you've taken this pic.

Excellent pics and report, thanks.

Love Antibes.

We just stopped for a coffee and a stroll around the market this time but I normally have lunch at the Cafe de Chinons.

Went to St Tropez the next day but what an overpriced place full of weirdos.....

Knocked off 510 miles today,all autoroute as couldn’t be arsed to take back roads again.
Piece of piss sat at 90 mph with cruise control on and using Sanef toll tag.

I’ve done a total of 2080 miles in 8 days and the Tmax has been brilliant.....

I'm the GS LC "Refugee"

I promised a report on the purchase of my new DX but I only have time at the moment to say "Wow".
One thing, however, I said late last year, when I first saw the start of this thread, was how surprised I was, that so much enthusiasm and almost total satisfaction I was able to read in the BMW Forum, about it.

I do have some questions about things like the best farkles to get, and technical questions, the answers to which, I feel sure I will find on this Forum.

What is there to question, you may say!

Remember my first bike was a 350cc side valve Royal Enfield and in spite of learning with the times and enjoying the development of bikes, (the last one being the GS), it is my first Twist and Go. (Another "Wow")

No,my first question is not: "Where is the clutch lever, 'cos when I pull the left hand lever the bike stops"

However, is there a TMAX Forum similar to this one, to be found on line? I have come across some posed questions and answers that looked like forums but if there is one, then I'll have another source along with ours, where I hope to find out, not only which lever operates the clutch but under which panel will I find the gear lever and is it "one up and three down" or the opposite?

Harold

I promised a report on the purchase of my new DX but I only have time at the moment to say "Wow".
One thing, however, I said late last year, when I first saw the start of this thread, was how surprised I was, that so much enthusiasm and almost total satisfaction I was able to read in the BMW Forum, about it.

I do have some questions about things like the best farkles to get, and technical questions, the answers to which, I feel sure I will find on this Forum.

What is there to question, you may say!

Remember my first bike was a 350cc side valve Royal Enfield and in spite of learning with the times and enjoying the development of bikes, (the last one being the GS), it is my first Twist and Go. (Another "Wow")

No,my first question is not: "Where is the clutch lever, 'cos when I pull the left hand lever the bike stops"

However, is there a TMAX Forum similar to this one, to be found on line? I have come across some posed questions and answers that looked like forums but if there is one, then I'll have another source along with ours, where I hope to find out, not only which lever operates the clutch but under which panel will I find the gear lever and is it "one up and three down" or the opposite?

Harold

Yep maximuppets take a look . nothing like the traffic through here but a good source of information

Fitted the GPS/phone mount with USB feed so I can use my phone for mapping .

e96227adc54d281d708aa4c7207cc4f6.jpg
353dc253b7427deea98c55a89184a373.jpg
5b0c000cfbab74b8c341bcf6c983be9c.jpg

Bloody pain to fit as the feed for the power was down low on the right side so the bike had to be stripped

Checking for the yamaha smartphone mount, do we need to drill a hole into the handlebar plastics? thanks

Checking for the yamaha smartphone mount, do we need to drill a hole into the handlebar plastics? thanks

No the mount include the bar top plate 2 screws and its out and fitted. You will need to chase a wire to the battery , fairly straightforward , I used a cable tie to push the wire towards the battery .RAM fitting bolts to the cross bar , tom tom to that or a phone holder

Many thanks, Robo for quick reply. I will do my report for all BMW Tmaxers to comment.

As promised and for those who are interested in the Tmax, I offer you my initial thoughts.
All that has been said of the latest TMax DX is, I feel, true.
Those who have had earlier models must be better able to appreciate it and once I got used to my first Twist and Go machine, it does all I wish. Should any one be tempted, I'm so glad I changed my order from a standard one to a DX
The electric screen is only one "must".
My only slight disappointment is the seat height quoted is not the full story as the width of the seat means that at 5'10 and 31.5 leg I'm not as much in contact with the floor as I would like. I'll manage, though. Also with the weight and this lack of contact, I find tight turns in a confined space needs concentration. (The only time I'd like a clutch lever!)
Now done 700 miles, will cruise a 70 and handles like a bike should.
I've removed the parking brake caliper (to see if I ever need one) and should I, a bicycle toe strap round the rear brake lever will suffice.
The extras I'm thinking about are a tail tidy, a hugger on its own and one c/w belt cover. Ermax offer these but as they are quite expensive, I wondered if any one had fitted any as I can only find photos on the Emax web site and non show looking down to see how the hugger looks. Ideally seeing a bike would be the way.
More later after I've calmed down having found out that the 1st Service was not free! My fault perhaps for assuming these are always free except for oils etc. But £120!

I'm not sure why you'd remove a perfectly functional parking brake in favour of a strap when you could just ignore it? That said, it's your bike so crack on. Winter use is considerably enhanced by the addition of a Tucano Urbano cover, more commonly known as a 'shitebag'; allied to TU handlebar muffs they make it an all year round tool.

Good point but I wondered about its possible use and how necessary it might be. The caliper weighs quite a bit and makes access to the disc and surrounding area, difficult.
I know a Twist and Go, when parked on the side stand, is vulnerable, if parked pointing downhill, as it has no "Left in Gear" option, but would one do that anyway? My strap will be handy if such an occasion does occur.
Thank you for your response, Oblertone

That was quick - why'd you decide to sell it?

I really like it.
But now I’ve got my Duke 790 and a small car I’ve hardly used the Tmax since my French trip.

It’s handy for local shopping /running errands but I’ve been using the 790 and I’ve decided to get an Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT, so I’ll still have something with an auto box which is useful too in local traffic.

I’ve been offered quite a good part ex but thought I would try it on here first .

Well as others have said, funny to come on to a GS forum to chat about a Yamaha. Hello everyone, and just to say that I have considered a GS a number of times and have been on a few long test rides.

My T Max story started last Saturday.

Fek it! I thought. Money in an ISA that won't do much if I eventually get to retire so bought a 2016 Bronze T Max.

Don't laugh! I have ridden all sorts of sports bikes and nakeds since 1979 but in 2015 a friend offered me her 2009 Vespa GT300 for a crazy low price and I couldn't say no.

Within minutes of riding it in London, I was converted. Why hadn't I tried a pretty zippy twist and go before? I wish I'd had one when I was dispatching in the 80s on a GPz900R.

Only problem with the Vespa was riding on fast A roads like the A3 and fast country roads especially at night. Tiny wheels and rubbish head light.

Still, I did move to Surrey and still used it to commute to London from time to time but I kept getting jealous of those T Max riders looking steady as they overtook me on the motorway and blasting through the London traffic.

Unfortunately whilst moving back to London in January my Vespa got stolen when I stupidly left it at the station car park, intending to go back down to pick it up after I moved the last of my stuff by car.

Picked up the T Max on Saturday afternoon and took it on a 80 mile get to know you ride.

Quick and steady on the motorway and a joy on the A and B roads. It handles really well, you can even sort of hang off it, and have you seen the T Max racing series on YouTube.

I even saw 70mpg on the ride out although it has settled down to 54mpg running around London.

I tried the Maxi Scooter forum but still waiting for the email plus most of the posts are old. Doesn't look well frequented.

Took my son to school on it this morning. The rider's seat part is quite long, about as long as the whole seat on a sports bike, so the passenger is pushed quite far back.

I last took him at age 12 on the Vespa and it wasn't really a problem, but now he's almost 16 years old, 6' 5" and 16 stone, the handling on the T Max at low speeds was downright dangerous, plus I would not have fancied any higher speed evasive action.

I also took my younger son later in the morning who is 12 and told him to sit closer to me and I could barely feel him on the back. He's also tall and a big lad for his age.

Reading on-line, it would seem that having a passenger heavier than the rider is not a good idea on a bike. Makes sense I suppose.

I'm 5'11" and 12 stone 10lbs btw. So my son is over 3 stone heavier.

I am pleased with the bike so far and I have spent hundreds of pounds on locks, covers and alarmed disc locks as I know they disappear. It's parked within earshot of my bedroom window and I'll just have to decide if it's worth taking it on certain jobs of mine if there is no safe parking.

Shame we have to think this way.

The bike is actually a special edition called a Bronze Max and although it's a 2016 and still has a few months of Yamaha warranty left, it's a previous generation. It looks like the latest model but no bells or whistles and no ABS or Smart key.

Be great to hear impressions and advice from other owners. Cheers.

I am surprised no one has fitted a riders back rest, l have one on my Honda Helex scooter, lean back and it takes the pressure of your arms and shoulders

Hello there, I’m a new t max owner, I bought the old girl for work ‘ dispatch rider ! I’ve only been riding with the new company for a week but so far so good, the bike was a good choice in my opinion anyway ! Only problem I’ve had is on Wednesday l did 475 miles and my arse was numb ? I’m 6’1” so using all the seat, anyone else have a similar issue ? Bike is a 13 year old mk1 with 40k so would probably benefit from a bit of an engine refresh, I don’t want a tuning job just a strong reliable engine ! Any ideas greatly appreciated many thanks, john

Back
Top Bottom