I have my first observed ride/assessment on Sunday

One thing I forgot is, clean your bike and learn about its specifications and details for the POWDDERS check. Probably not for the first session.

Enjoy

Well - that just kicked the fun out of it................ :blast

(had to look it up....)

P.O.W.D.D.E.R.S (BIKE CHECKS)
P – PETROL
Check by opening the filler cap.
O – OIL
(All types). Sump and gear oil should be checked either at the oil window or with the dip stick, the level of brake and clutch reservoirs should be checked and on two stroke machines don’t forget the two stroke tank- never rely on the warning light, you don’t want a seized engine.
W – WATER
Check your coolant level (when the bike is cold) and make sure you have anti freeze over the winter.
D – DRIVECHAIN
(Adjusted and oiled) and check the condition of drive chains, sprockets, shafts, etc. Chain adjustment should be checked and adjusted if required to your handbook specification, and sprocket teeth should not show signs of hooking. An over tight chain will increase damage to your final drive bearing which will be a costly job and a loose chain will cause excessive wear and increase the danger of the chain coming off.
D – DAMAGE
Relates to any danger that may be present due to general damage on the bike. Check all round bike.
E – ELECTRICS
(All switches). Do all the lights work as they should? Check them all to be sure. Consider carrying spare bulbs and fuses.
R – RUBBER & REFLECTORS
(Tyres: tread and inflation- check the bikes handbook) and Reflectors (mirrors). Check your tyre condition, not just the tread, the side walls are just as important. Check your mirrors are correctly positioned before you move off. Remember to check all rubber components on the bike- footrests and brake hoses included.
S – SUSPENSION & STOPPING
(Check the bike’s handbook) and Stopping (brakes) should be checked to ensure that it is suitably set for the journey e.g. lone rider, with pillion, or with luggage. A moving brake test should be carried out at low speed first checking that you don’t have anyone behind you. Better to find out your brakes don’t work outside your house than at a junction

There's another S in POWDDERSS ! S for Self. Are you feeling well - in good shape and good spirits, properly kitted out and prepared? (e.g. have you got the carrier bag you'll need when you get to TESCOS). If not make appropriate allowances in your riding. And don't forget the static brake test before you get moving.

There's also a sensible balance to be struck between pre-ride and weekly checks.

Checklists are useful at an early stage until you instinctively adopt these things into your routine.

We usually do the POWDERS

The last two being steering and suspension, followed by MOT the rider.

I know a few SAM members through blood biking for SERV Wessex

We usually do the POWDERS

The last two being steering and suspension, followed by MOT the rider.

I know a few SAM members through blood biking for SERV Wessex

I'm curious to know more about blood biking.

I'm curious to know more about blood biking.

if you enjoy getting out of bed at 2am to deliver a box of blood or other blood product to potentially save a life you will get a good feeling,i have been doing it for a year now and still enjoy it very much.

if you enjoy getting out of bed at 2am to deliver a box of blood or other blood product to potentially save a life you will get a good feeling,i have been doing it for a year now and still enjoy it very much.

How do you get activated and are you on call for specific times or days?

our rota asks you to commit to one eve per fortnight with call out hours from 19.00 till 06.00,xtra shifts are up to you and your ability to handle the serv hangover,you are contacted by phone for each job,some nights you are not called out,other times i have been out from 19.30 till 02.30,generally actual riding time is limited to 4 ish hours per shift.

Observation, planning, execution........in that order. But remember......expect the unexpected always. Enjoy !

For years I've lived with that statement .... then the penny dropped ... you can't!

You simply can't expect the unexpected :blast

Probably worth getting a few under my belt and then writing them up for anyone else thinking of doing the same. I really enjoyed the first run out but was exhausted afterwards.

Ha ha :thumb

I never went with the Peter Perfek attitude of the IAM and I was reprimanded several times by London for having a liberal attitude to speed in the Nationals :eek:

It is on record that when I buggered off to Mongolia on a six month motorcycle overland trip the next three Associates from our group, going to a different Examiner, failed for excess speed on the open road :blast

Ha ha ... someone may come on here and verify the fact that my last words to the Associate, before setting off, would be "Ride it like you stole it" :D

:beerjug:

35 in a 30
45 in a 40
55 in a 50
65 in a 60
Nationals = GLF

As there is no way for the observer to compare his speedo reading with the associates speedo it becomes more about consistent speed. Is the associate able to control his bike sufficiently well to maintain the posted limit uphill and down. Half of it is effective bike control.

Probably worth getting a few under my belt and then writing them up for anyone else thinking of doing the same. I really enjoyed the first run out but was exhausted afterwards.

yes it is exhausting to start with as it is change, correcting/enhancing your ingrained skills as a experinced motorcyclist, you have to want to learn these new skills,
i was amazed how it changed my life and was useful when i taught my daughters learn to drive a car. however when encouraging my many motorcycle friends to
experince the same no one was interested or had strong views not to learn !

I had my second observed ride today and tried my hardest to correct all of the last observations. My main points from today were an occasional lack of forward planning and if I'm honest these times were when I was saturated with information and lost my focus a little and all the while trying to correct/adjust my riding. I still feel like I've made progress and the addition of some slow speed manoeuvres was interesting especially when getting ready I cheated slightly by flipping down the brake pedal extender. So all in I've got more to practice and learned plenty today.

Back
Top Bottom