I have my first observed ride/assessment on Sunday

Bungy

Reaction score
As the title describes I have my first observed ride on Sunday. Any tips for the journey ahead with IAM from those that have done it? I'm keen to learn as much as possible.

Just go with an open mind and the will to enjoy.

We have two ears and one mouth for a reason ... listen more than you talk. There are some great Observers out there doing a great job and there are some areseholes that just love to listen to themselves .... but for the most they're a great bunch doing a great job for the love of it and for no financial reward.

Take on board, listen ... and take out of it what you like, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain, maybe even your life.

Ride as you would normally ride with no pretence to be anything any different.

Enjoy :thumb

Micky ... recently retired IAM Examiner (24 years) :rob

:beerjug:

Thanks Micky, that is pretty much how I see it and I'm open to all comments if it helps me see things from a fresh perspective.
JerseyN, maybe in a different situation.

Ride it like you stole it :beerjug:

Ha ha :thumb

I never went with the Peter Perfek attitude of the IAM and I was reprimanded several times by London for having a liberal attitude to speed in the Nationals :eek:

It is on record that when I buggered off to Mongolia on a six month motorcycle overland trip the next three Associates from our group, going to a different Examiner, failed for excess speed on the open road :blast

Ha ha ... someone may come on here and verify the fact that my last words to the Associate, before setting off, would be "Ride it like you stole it" :D

Just go with an open mind and the will to enjoy.

We have two ears and one mouth for a reason ... listen more than you talk. There are some great Observers out there doing a great job and there are some areseholes that just love to listen to themselves .... but for the most they're a great bunch doing a great job for the love of it and for no financial reward.

Take on board, listen ... and take out of it what you like, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain, maybe even your life.

Ride as you would normally ride with no pretence to be anything any different.

Enjoy :thumb

Micky ... recently retired IAM Examiner (24 years) :rob

+1 especially the listening and taking on board. Nothing more frustrating for an observer than someone who quibbles with feedback.

And don't forget to enjoy it :)

As it's Valentine's Day, don't forget the flowers.:thumb

Not done IAM, busy with ROSPA now. My feedback so far has been plan ahead, observation based. And twice so far I have been asked why I didn't make the overtake...failure to observe far enough ahead impedes my instinct to overtake. Mind you the positives were that I am a confident rider close to the standard...!Good Luck. Its great fun

Good to hear Micky

I have it on good authority that if you ride fast enough the instructor/assessor is too busy trying to keep up and not able to note your faults :D

I am lucky enough to have the benefit of being able to break the speed limit when I have my refresher courses :thumb

Which is just as well on our little rock :rolleyes:

Neil

Relax and enjoy it.
To my mind the golden rules are forget speed to start with, look well ahead, get your positioning and lines through the twisties correct and the speed will come naturally. :rob

Relax and enjoy it.
To my mind the golden rules are forget speed to start with, look well ahead, get your positioning and lines through the twisties correct and the speed will come naturally. :rob

Same with carving a smooth path through traffic. On the open roads, the twisties ... build the speed up, they start to get untidy, bring some speed off and get it smooth again ... the speed comes back but oh so much more easier ... build the speed back up again, untidy again, bring a little back off and back to smooooth again, oh yay ... the speeds back up again :D

My Six Pee Strategy ... "Perfect Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

Oh go on then ... It's Not a Rocket Science

http://www.adventure.gs/Adventure.GS/Riding_Hints.html

Dont forget to take plenty of bacon butty tokens with you to buy your observer a breakfast when you stop at a cafe. I was lucky, my observer only ever wanted beans on toast which was quite a cheap affair for me :). I met some very nice blokes when doing mine, and my observer was brill, but some were a bit clique which put me off staying.

My advice would be to ride how you normally ride. The assessor will be looking to see where your riding can be improved. Don't try to put on a show, you won't be comfortable doing it and the assessor will have to deal with the issues THAT gives rise to rather than developing your riding from the off. If that makes sense.
;)

My advice would be to ride how you normally ride. The assessor will be looking to see where your riding can be improved. Don't try to put on a show, you won't be comfortable doing it and the assessor will have to deal with the issues THAT gives rise to rather than developing your riding from the off. If that makes sense.
;)

Yep, ride your normal ride, which is harder than it sounds when someone is following you. It normally takes a little while to relax. Ignore his position completely, as he will ride out of 'ideal' position, whilst maintaining safety.

Make sure you are fuelled ready, and bike is roadworthy. Also if they asked for any documents dont forget them (not sure if they do now).

Buy him a cuppa if you stop, he just gets a flat fee you pay each run which barely covers fuel/running costs and is doing it for the love of it (used to be £15 in my neck of the woods).

And let us know how you get on !

RBW.

N.B. If riding your normal ride is well over speed limits, then you wont be able to do this as all training has to be at or below speed limits. Can be quite difficult to nail speed limits if your not used to it.

Adding to what rainbow-walker said

Get a Highway Code, copy of roadcraft for m/c

Learn to be self critical

There are good and bad observers, if you don't click or just don't like ask for another.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be off in a bit to go and get fuelled up and meet my observer.

One thing I forgot is, clean your bike and learn about its specifications and details for the POWDDERS check. Probably not for the first session.

Enjoy

One thing I forgot is, clean your bike and learn about its specifications and details for the POWDDERS check. Probably not for the first session.

Enjoy

Bike was clean and tip top. Didn't need the W of POWDDERS ;)

In total was out for 3 hours with no major issues and plenty to think about.

just noticed where you live, presume you are training with SAM

I think I might disagree a little re not arguing. There are always gray areas at this level of riding so be prepared to discuss points back and forth with the observer. Back and forth, not black and white: if you make a mistake put your hands up and have a laugh about it but if you decide to do or not do something and the observer comments on this, then be prepared to give your reasoning. Lots of good advice on this site in the "Thin Black Line" section of the forum. In fact ... Why not start a thread there about your experiences? It can only help your progress and that of others.

Back
Top Bottom