Standard vs PCV vs AF-XIED

So is the general consensus that a full Stock System is the way to go?
I've got Akro Headers and Stock Can on my 2008 and it runs alright but I'm always open to Improvement.

Well, the ECU will adapt to changes in headers and end can. The overall issue is that the O2 sensors are set lean what ever the configuration.

I originally had keihan headers and standard can. I tried these with the AF units and then tried standard headers. I thought the standard headers gave a slightly smoother ride and better low down torque....although marginal. The real reason I stayed with th stock set up was that it was quieter on long motorway hauls when touring and Mrs Oldnfat preferred it....as do I.

The set up now is just superb....I was out for a longish blast with a mate who has a GSA WC and he was surprised by just how hard he had to work to keep up. He assumed I was on the throttle stop all the time. No doubt the LC is faster but the margin is much reduced.....my advice to all would be save your money on headers and end cans and just buy the AF units....they are a peach.

I would agree with what oldnfat has said. Had my AF-XiED units for over 10k miles now and still think they're great.
I've been down the sport headers and exhaust route and only could stick it for a few days. I found it too loud over any kind of distance and felt that there was more vibration. I felt that it moved the power further up the rev range with slight loss mid range. But that's only my opinion.
Much smoother, quieter and puncher on a stock system. But, whatever floats your boat.
Having tried an LC, I would say that with the AF-XiED, my TC is somewhere in between stock and an LC in terms of performance.
Was on a trip to the west coast of Ireland a couple of weeks ago and while overtaking a line of cars on a 50% damp road, the traction control kicked in at around 6-7k rpm. That'll do me!

Can't wait to get some miles on it now. My bike is Mistacats old bike so it's had them on before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree with what oldnfat has said. Had my AF-XiED units for over 10k miles now and still think they're great.
I've been down the sport headers and exhaust route and only could stick it for a few days. I found it too loud over any kind of distance and felt that there was more vibration. I felt that it moved the power further up the rev range with slight loss mid range. But that's only my opinion.
Much smoother, quieter and puncher on a stock system. But, whatever floats your boat.
Having tried an LC, I would say that with the AF-XiED, my TC is somewhere in between stock and an LC in terms of performance.
Was on a trip to the west coast of Ireland a couple of weeks ago and while overtaking a line of cars on a 50% damp road, the traction control kicked in at around 6-7k rpm. That'll do me!

I didn't find the Exhaust to be too loud, even when I had the full Akro System on.
I removed the Can after I read one of your earlier Posts.
I'm now considering reverting back to Stock, Cat and all to see whether there's any Improvement in Performance.
The only thing I have noticed is the Vibration I feel over distance but I don't know whether that's down to the Exhaust or just the Characteristics of the Bike itself.

Can't wait to get some miles on it now. My bike is Mistacats old bike so it's had them on before

I used to run it on setting 7 if that helps, that was 13.8 to 1 AFR on that bike with full Remus.
You will need to run 2 or 3 tanks of fuel to give it time to fully adapt back.

7 it is then. On the ride to work today my initial thoughts are that it is much easier to ride in heavy traffic. The snatchiness had been smoothed out. Not had chance to open it up it. Water and fallen leaves don't go well together :)

No time at all....it already exists....go to Nightrider.com and check it out. £165 I believe.

Update...interesting side effects

Ok time for an update. Now been running for about 4K miles....and still loving the impact these units have had.

Having run 1200GS bikes for 8 years now, it has been interesting to see the impact running the AF units have had elsewhere. When I put the units on I took the opportunity to polish my standard headers back to new (bluing and all other imperfections polished out).

4K miles later I have a slight straw colour on the top part of the headers but other than that no other discolouration at all. Also, I am using allot less oil...granted this may be a factor of more miles but oil use had been pretty consistent up until then. I would need a top up every 1k miles.....not touched it since fitting the AF units.

I can only put this down to a cooler running engine....could the effects really be that dramatic.....it seems so.

Ok time for an update. Now been running for about 4K miles....and still loving the impact these units have had.

Having run 1200GS bikes for 8 years now, it has been interesting to see the impact running the AF units have had elsewhere. When I put the units on I took the opportunity to polish my standard headers back to new (bluing and all other imperfections polished out).

4K miles later I have a slight straw colour on the top part of the headers but other than that no other discolouration at all.

Could you tell me what you used to polish out your headers please? Mine look pretty rough and I'd like to do something about it.....if I can.

Very simple....started with Optiglanz which you spray on (from Amazon) ....amazing stuff...and a Halfords metal polishing kit that fits to the drill. These headers were brown all over, an 90 mins later like this.....same for my chrome Ines but didn't use Optiglanz.

Cheers
Mark

4K miles later I have a slight straw colour on the top part of the headers but other than that no other discolouration at all. Also, I am using allot less oil...granted this may be a factor of more miles but oil use had been pretty consistent up until then. I would need a top up every 1k miles.....not touched it since fitting the AF units.

I can only put this down to a cooler running engine....could the effects really be that dramatic.....it seems so.

Likewise for me. I polished my R1150 headers, which has consistently been a rusty orange every couple months, about 2 years ago. There is still no oxidation or redness. Running richer than stock significantly drops the exhaust gas temperature and as a result the headers stay shinier.

Well thats me taken the plunge and bought a set for my 2012 GSA TC, so heading to the states this week so getting them delivered to the office over in Houston. Bike due a service so will get that all done on my return and fit them, so reading all the posts the best option is setting to 8 for stock exhaust system on the twin cam?? Cheers

When I had the full de cat headers and sport exhaust on my TC, I had them at 9. Could only stick the noise for two days!
Think thats why you see so many sports systems for sale.
I now run the stock TC system with the AF-XiED's at 8 and it's running perfectly with a good spread of power.
Much as many of us would hate to admit it, the stock TC system is pretty good in terms of power without excessive noise. Only a couple of aftermarket silencers produce a few more BHP than stock, but are seriously loud.
You will discover that your GS is the bike you've always wanted.
Let us all know how you get on with them.

Cheers for that, love the bike as is but just that low down roughness im hoping to get rid of save bashing lids with other half in slow moving traffic. Oh and of course everything else that i have read from you guys on adding these units.

Definitely will report back how i get on with them...

You actually can measure the results on the road. The method is to take a GS-911, put it into data collection mode take several in-road acceleration samples, and average the results. The chart below is an example of that on a modified bike, compared to a stock dyno run done by a reputable shop. It isn't a perfect comparison, but the improvement in the 2000-3000 rpm range is what many riders report.

Further, it is well known among pilots of piston engine aircraft, which have a control that directly alters AFR, that engines get smoother as you shift them toward Best Power and they run roughly as you lean the mixture toward Best Economy.

If you leave the O2 sensors connected, chip remapping cannot alter AFR in those areas where Closed Loop fueling is active. Further, if a chip remapper does change fueling in the closed loop area, long term trims get out of whack in those areas not supported by Closed Loop. Not saying it can't be done to effect in the Open Loop areas (wide throttle angles) but it's tricky on a bike with O2 sensors.

The second chart below shows an R1200 before and after acceleration done on a dyno using gs-911 data collection.

alltorque121112.jpg

R1200GSaccelerationbeforeafter.jpg

Hi Rodger,

In order to gather the data with the GS911 i take it you simply put your laptop into the top box and log via the laptop? I will have to get the old GS911 out and have a play with getting it into data logging mode. So is it worth me getting the bike in standard un-molested form and take it out and get some data logged prior to installing the AF units??

Did you simply use excel to plot the data?? Are you able to share the standard data (for a TC if possible) so i have a comparison? Ive got a 2012 TC GSA with 11K miles on the clock that would be looking to do the test with.

Just thought it might be interesting to have a before and after log on another bike??

Cheers
Mark

Back
Top Bottom