R1150GS Adventure Protection Detail

Thanks for all the comments and compliments. :)

For the people who asked if I'll ride it or get it dirty, I've already taken down an unpaved road with a bit of mud to a photo rally point.
13015187_10154180136867112_7564432737032273519_n.jpg

Do you use a clean room and dehumidified environment?

Btw send me an email when you want to sell it!

The quartz coatings are temperature sensitive, but not humidity sensitive so I didn't use a dehumidifier.
After all this effort, I won't be selling it, not for at least a few hundred miles.

I'm curious what he does for a living.

My money is on NASA :D

Close enough...I'm an electronic engineer. :D

After taking the photos at Ballyglunin railway station, I submitted them as part of my entry for the Show & Shine competition on polishedbliss.co.uk. I got an email from Polished Bliss this evening, telling me that I won the Show & Shine competition for March 2016. :D The prize is a £150 voucher for their website. ;)

The write-up I entered in the competition is basically a summary of everything I've described in this thread, but you can see it here: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/show-and-shine-march-winner.html

After taking the photos at Ballyglunin railway station, I submitted them as part of my entry for the Show & Shine competition on polishedbliss.co.uk. I got an email from Polished Bliss this evening, telling me that I won the Show & Shine competition for March 2016. :D The prize is a £150 voucher for their website. ;)

The write-up I entered in the competition is basically a summary of everything I've described in this thread, but you can see it here: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/show-and-shine-march-winner.html

There are more of you and you are organised! No wonder it's a voucher, no one would dare send you something that wasn't polished.

Just read this. Really enjoyed it

How is it looking now ?

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Very, very impressive ! Be good to see some pictures of it now !

Thanks. :)

This is the most recent photo I have of it. It has about 5000km done since I detailed it. It's obviously not sterile-clean like it was before, but it's still immaculate.
IMG_9205p_zpsm9at2lmu.jpg

The best part is that I don't have to try too hard to keep it clean. This is the dirtiest it has been since I detailed it:

IMG_8699s_zpsqsiyxnij.jpg

IMG_8700s_zpssfhy4q21.jpg

I had been away for the weekend and rode all sorts of back roads, bog roads and a bit of green-laning. All it took was a power-hosing to remove 95% of the dirt and then hand-washing removed the rest.

I posted the following on http://irishbikerforum.com originally, but a fellow tosser suggested I post it on here.
I know some of you are going to moan and rant because you think a GS should be neglected and allowed to corrode and fall apart. I don't believe in keeping the bike clean. I've no problem getting it dirty, as long as the paint has been properly protected and the dirt can easily be removed.

24/1/2016

So, after spending such a long time trying to find what I think is the closest thing available to a brand new BMW R1150GS Adventure, the first job I wanted to do with it was protect the perfect paintwork on it. Unfortunately, I actually had to get the bike dirty while riding it the 1,792km home from Cologne, but that couldn't be helped. :p

The first thing I did to protect the paintwork was to fit an Extenda Fenda to the front mudguard to prevent the front wheel from spraying crap onto the front of the engine. I have one fitted to the Deauville and it works very well. The only complaint I'd have about it is that I bought one of the stick-on ones and the slight gap created by the double-sided stickers means that muddy water can run down between the mud guard and the Extenda Fenda, so you see the dirty, muddy water running down the outside of the Extenda Fenda. To prevent this from happening on the GS, I sealed between the mudguard and Extenda Fenda with black Tec7:

IMG_5605s_zpsczurlart.jpg

Before:

IMG_5596s_zpsbyhczl4e.jpg

After:

IMG_5611s_zpsrzttf1to.jpg

IMG_5613s_zpsrnoqmtt3.jpg

After playing with my new toy for a few weeks, and with the winter drawing in, I decided to take the bike off the road and start the protection detail. Having performed a protection detail on my new Ford Ranger last Christmas, I knew what was involved and I knew it would be a time-consuming job. The protection detail on my Ranger took me seven days, working 12-14 hours per day. Unlike the Ranger, which is made of large, flat panels, the GS has an exposed engine with pseudo cooling fins and loads of other nooks and crannies to collect dirt, so I knew this job was going to be significantly longer. I therefore decided to log the number of hours spent working on it.

The first step of the detail was to wash the bike properly. I started by power-hosing it thoroughly with rain water that I harvest for detailing. Then I snow-foamed it to loosen the remaining dirt and rinsed it with the powerhose after letting the foam dwell for five to ten minutes. I washed it thoroughly by hand using a microfibre sponge and the two-bucket method, including the insides of the mudguards, the shocks, and anywhere else that dirt tends to gather.

On my last ride before starting the detail, I somehow managed to get the front of the engine speckled with tar spots. I don't know how tar managed to spatter the bike when it was close to freezing point all day. :confused: Anyway, I spent about another two hours detarring the front of the engine before washing it again to remove any traces of the tar remover. After that I dried the bike with my vehicle dryer (think industrial-powered hair-dryer :D )

I don't have a garage (yet - that's my project for summer 2016) and I didn't want to be working on the bike in a cold, wooden shed for the winter. On top of that, the paint sealant I chose for the bike needs to cure for 24 hours at 20°C minimum, so there was only one place for me to put the bike: :D

As some of you may know, I worked on my Deauville in my spare bedroom about two years ago. The boxer engine on the GS, however, won't fit through a standard doorway, so the only way to get the bike into the house was to remove both panels of my patio door:

IMG_6356p_zpsvcfmyjlm.jpg

Here's the bike inside, ready for the real work to begin:

IMG_6408p_zps93zknbid.jpg

Total hours of work: 4.5

31/1/2016

Time for the next episode: :)

With the bike inside, I was ready to start the detailed work. The paint sealant (and other surface sealants) that I'm planning to apply to the bike are quartz coatings, which basically form a layer of silica (glass) that bonds to the surface it's protecting. Besides the fact that it would be stupid to seal dirt in under the sealant, the coating won't bond properly to the surface if it's not pretty much sterile. Therefore, the biggest part of this job is going to be getting every single part of the exposed surfaces immaculately clean.

To get access to the places I wanted to clean, I had to start taking stuff off the bike. I started by removing the seat and petrol tank:

IMG_6415p_zpsaten6xch.jpg

Then the sump guard:

IMG_6420p_zpsq5ziatda.jpg

I took off the crash bars, cylinder head protectors, spark plug covers and took out the battery:

IMG_6446p_zpsd2d5mia2.jpg

With those bits out of the way, I started the detailed cleaning. Due to the cooling fins, and all the gaps and crevices in the engine, detailing it was hugely time consuming. I started with a microfibre towel and a bucket of warm water. I had various shapes and sizes of sticks, including a small paint brush handle and cocktail sticks, to work the microfibre towel into the gaps. For sticky/oily residues I squirted denatured ethanol onto it to dissolve/soften it and a separate microfibre towel to rub it off. I found keeping the water quite hot, by adding boiling water regularly, helped to remove some of the more stubborn dirt. For any dirt that couldn't be removed chemically, I used auto clay. I prefer to use Bilt Hamber clay because you can use water as a lubricant, whereas most other clays require a special lubricant.

Here are some before and after shots of various parts of the engine:

IMG_6500p_zpsm4xzzddh.jpg

IMG_6561p_zpsnct0egje.jpg

IMG_6512p_zpsvxvybgjv.jpg

IMG_7222p_zpsrbehtyh3.jpg

IMG_6515p_zpsapdudoy6.jpg

IMG_6563p_zps4oa1ii17.jpg

Underside of the engine before:

IMG_6539p_zpslb1ebhyr.jpg

During:

IMG_6551p_zpsbyycllzo.jpg

After:

IMG_6569p_zpszhoppoiz.jpg

Detailing around the exhaust ports was a nightmare because there were deep crevices at either side and any dirt that had gone in there had baked into it from the heat:

IMG_6517p_zpsexcbvrlj.jpg

IMG_6520p_zpsoncukfvl.jpg

The downpipes were in the way and prevented me from getting at the dirt around the exhaust ports, so I removed the whole exhaust system:

IMG_6764p_zpsgsxbyvnc.jpg

I used every chemical in my arsenal to try to remove the baked in dirt. It softened and dissolved a lot of it, but in the end I had to resort to mechanical abrasion (scrubbing). This was extremely difficult because of the depth of the gaps. I started with the microfibre towel wrapped around a stick. That cleaned the larger bits out. I then progressed onto cotton swabs with long wooden handles (longer version of the ones for cleaning your ears), but the long, thin handles broke regularly and softened and bent due to the warm water, so I went through a few packets of those. To finish with the very fine specks that were left, I taped cocktail sticks to the end of the paintbrush handle and "picked" the dirt off. The gaps at either side of the exhaust ports took 23 hours of labour alone to clean, but I think the result was worth the effort in the end:

IMG_6980p_zpsihxilhqp.jpg

IMG_6985p_zpsidtnb13r.jpg

Total hours: 59.5

Do you know of any company that does vale ting in the London area using the attention to detail and quality of products you'd recommend?

Do you know of any company that does vale ting in the London area using the attention to detail and quality of products you'd recommend?

I just replied to you post in the other thread.

The only company I have experience with is http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/. I buy all my products from them, and I find them top class to deal with, but they're near Aberdeen. I've never seen their work in the flesh, but I've seen plenty in photos and it's very impressive. If you are looking for someone to do this type of work, search for "detailing" rather than "valeting", but be aware that Polished Bliss charge £350 + VAT per day, so this type of work isn't cheap.

You could even contact Polished Bliss and ask them who they would recommend in the London area. They're very helpful and I'm sure they wouldn't mind telling you who is good around London.

I know of a guy from another forum that does detailing in the south. I've only seen the work he has done on his own truck, so I can't say how good or bad he is but from what I've seen, I'd say he's good and I think he'd be very competitive on price. His speciality is boats, but he also does vehicles. His website is: http://www.southcoastshine.com/

I just replied to you post in the other thread.

The only company I have experience with is http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/. I buy all my products from them, and I find them top class to deal with, but they're near Aberdeen. I've never seen their work in the flesh, but I've seen plenty in photos and it's very impressive. If you are looking for someone to do this type of work, search for "detailing" rather than "valeting", but be aware that Polished Bliss charge £350 + VAT per day, so this type of work isn't cheap.

You could even contact Polished Bliss and ask them who they would recommend in the London area. They're very helpful and I'm sure they wouldn't mind telling you who is good around London.

I know of a guy from another forum that does detailing in the south. I've only seen the work he has done on his own truck, so I can't say how good or bad he is but from what I've seen, I'd say he's good and I think he'd be very competitive on price. His speciality is boats, but he also does vehicles. His website is: http://www.southcoastshine.com/

Many thanks. Aberdeen too far to trek but I need to get my car valeted properly and one of my bikes detailed.

I just watched the polished bliss video of the Enzo, the polishing would cost more than my car is worth!

Many thanks. Aberdeen too far to trek but I need to get my car valeted properly and one of my bikes detailed.

I just watched the polished bliss video of the Enzo, the polishing would cost more than my car is worth!

If you have a garage to work in, it's possible to do it all yourself. If I had to pay Polished Bliss to put the number of hours I did into detail my bike, it would have cost me about £10,000 inc VAT for 220 hours (24 days) of work. What Polished Bliss and the like charge big money for is a show-quality result. If you're not looking for that kind of finish and only want to improve the look of the car, a quick polish could make a big difference. It only took me a weekend to polish and protect one of the Navaras I had, after it got marked by sand during a sand storm. A Navara has a large surface area, so a car is easily manageable over a weekend. That was using a dual-action polisher. You can do it by hand but it will take longer, of course.

That's one seriously good detail. Good work fella. At least with a bike you can bring them indoors given an understanding family and work on it over time.

Thanks. It was worth the effort because it's so easy to keep it clean now.

I've put in for planning permission to build a garage, so hopefully this winter I won't have to take the patio doors off and bring the bike inside. :D

Take a look at Chris Harris YouTube vid on how to remove stubborn BMW oil filters. He 3 opposing holes on the cup wrench and screws 3 self tappers into the filter. The job's a good 'un.

Back
Top Bottom