Tracer 1 year on ...

red1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's now around a year since the Tracer was getting all the good press and seemed in favour with quite a few people on here, so any thoughts 1 year on?
It's on my radar as a possible replacement so, Good, Bad or Ugly?

from the darkside this was sent

I was following a bike mag that had one as a long term test bike (MSL I think) and he loved it though it took him a while to get the suspension sort to suit him. All do by adjustment to the standard front and rear units.

I was following a bike mag that had one as a long term test bike (MSL I think) and he loved it though it took him a while to get the suspension sort to suit him. All do by adjustment to the standard front and rear units.

I was chatting with Nick at Revs the other day and he mentioned that whereas in years gone by, most of there road bike work was BMW, they are now doing a lot of work on new yamaha's. And triumphs! They have already done 'quite a few' Tracers because to factory equipment is cheap rubbish. Otherwise, a nice bike, he said!

Only just nudging 600 miles so far but can confirm its a great bike, 40 kilos lighter than a bandit 1250 with similar bhp, not found anything I don't like so far, nice details when you start to take it apart (fitted oem grips and full exhaust myself) front suspension is a bit harsh but not noticed an issue with the rear (18 stone and 52ltr topbox).
As said many times for the money :thumb

Got mine March 1st 2015 now on 5,800 miles, fitted mirror extenders, Givi Trekker top box and Kappa hard panniers (Yamaha luggage is expensive and not that good by all accounts) I've replaced OE tyres now with PR4's which seem better in my view (altho I'm no expert :rolleyes:) Still enjoying it a year on, it had a timing chain tensioner under warranty ( rattled from cold intermittently) other than that it's been great :D. It's the lack of weight that's the bonus for me as it makes for easy manoeuvring into the garage etc..
Roll on the warmer weather and some long trips out :thumb

Well so far not decided on luggage, got a Jofama bag for chrimbo so may try that 1st, got the Givi plate in the deal, fitted a full Yoshi system so it sounds great and offloaded the heavy cat. Mirror extenders , Yam heated grips which are ok and integrated , oem tyres have a bad rep but unfortunately the are on both the Tracer and my VFR800F so i'll just get on with them. Fitted a short black screen from powerbronze not happy with the quality but will see how I get on, seen the big Givi and it looks like it will do the job in the winter. Might look at suspension at some stage but just want to get out and do some miles soon as the shitheads stop chucking salt at every opportunity :mad: the winter scoot is taking it in its stride but think it would rip the Yam to pieces.

Mine seems to get better and better . The engine vibes have virtually gone (6000 miles ) , I just think the engine is perfect , being light tractable and powerful and the bike seems so light compared to similar equipment . Yes I'm sure the suspension will need reworking at some point but it's good enough at the moment , giving a smooth ride but also positive handling

Back
Top Bottom