Free - Biker Down course

I went on the biker down course yesterday. For anyone who hasn't done any first aid lessons then I can see it being beneficial, but I was a little disappointed to be honest as it didn't cover the things I thought it would.

I was hoping we would learn about bike specific injuries and treatment, and discuss the do's and don'ts of helmet removal. Instead it just covered the basics such as a safe approach to the casualty, checking for a response, checking for breathing, getting help and putting casualty in recovery position. It didn't cover CPR but they did do it on request.

I do first aid each year at work to a higher level so if anything it was just a basic refresher, had I know this then I wouldn't have gone.

Must vary from course to course then...I did one in Ashford and it was very bike accident orientated..Helmet removal, bike accident type injuries etc.. Scene management was covered as well..

First Aid at work seems to get 'softer' every time i do it!!

I know things change but my what an eye opener 2 years ago..

safe approach
shout for help
breathing
bleeding
monitor until help arrives

it must be down to litigation?

When I did mine in Hertford, my 'buddy' for the session was none other than Troy Corser.

It made my day

The course was quite extensive and covered CPR, helmet removal, hi vis strategies, yep reallyas well as the basics aboutscene management.

all in all great VFM even more so as it was free.

Back
Top Bottom