Sleeping bag and pad recommendations please

Crash and Burn

Reaction score
Went to the Caravan & Camping show today, which was a complete wash out as far as bike relevant tents are concerned. They didn't really have any bags, pads, cots, stoves, etc., at all. What I was really hoping for was to try out a good selection of bags and sleep pads. I quite fancy the Exped 12 Synmat, but would need to know what (if any) cot it would fit on- and some help with making a good sleep equipment decision.

So..... what I'm hoping from you good people, is a recommendation somewhere within a couple hours drive from Guildford, that has a selection and some good advice. If any of you have experience of the Synmat 12, I would love to hear about it.

Regards, Nick.

Last edited:
Cotswold Outdoor are as good a place as any to try. UKGSer discount too, and branches throughout the country, there's got to be one near the South of England. ;)

Equally try Ellis Brigham, Field and Trek, etc etc they are all much of a muchness in my experience.

I use an exped downmat 7, but not on a camping cot, teamed with an Exped duvet if the wife is with me or a Helsport down sleeping bag. Its a warm comfortable mat and the duvet or bag are nice and roomy but still warm.

edit....Also try looking at thermarest stuff. I think they do a cot, bag/duvet combo.

I use a Thermarest and I've a couple of different Snugpak sleeping bags, Softie 9 and a Softie 3. Both pretty old now but work a treat and if things get desperate a bivvy bag!!

Cotswold Outdoor are as good a place as any to try. UKGSer discount too, and branches throughout the country, there's got to be one near the South of England. ;) .

What is the discount code and how much? Is the one at 271 Basingstoke Road, Reading, any good?

The £12 for subs will easily be recouped if you go to cotswold,you'll also get access to the for sale and wanted on here.

Yup, 15% discount IIRC. A good mat and a good sleeping bag is going to cost £100-£150 or more so you will easily get you subs back.

Nick , may i ask what temperatures you envisage camping in?

For this trip- Alps in July. Expect others to follow, but winter camping unlikely to happen. If it makes a difference, I'm looking at an envelope or similar bag, as I'm heavy and the Mummy style is super tight on me.

I havent tried the Synmat 12, but I have the Synmat 7 from REI in Seattle.
http://www.rei.com/product/780367/exped-synmat-7-air-pad-with-pump
I love the fact the pump is built in. ( no parts to lose!)

I cant recommend a sleeping bag, because, as you say, the mummy style ones are all "frustrating " to sleep in.
My Coleman bag was warm when new, but is now poor and "lumpy".....They all seem to "go downhill" fast ....

(If you'd like an REI mat and can wait 10 weeks I can pop one in the post to you, otherwise perhaps try Cotswold as others have suggested?, )

Thermarest mat. I've got a prolite plus. Get the best you can afford or post on here for a sh one. Down bag. Likewise, the best you can afford.

I like my Domex down bag. Bought in NZ in 95. It still performs fine. I've given it a few washes over the years in proper down wash stuff. But it struggles with damp conditions. I gather some modern down bags are better in this regard, even those without the specially treated down. For use in only a dry climate, I'd choose down again. But not for a mixed climate, and not for use on a motorbike (given the potential exposure to wet/damp). I'll almost certainly be replacing my down bag with a synthetic jobbing. FWIW, there are some designs that allow for the fuller figure, so you shouldn't have an issue there.

The only mat I've used that hasn't leaked is my Thermarest. In fairness the others were cheapo ones that I bought during a spell where I couldn't find my Thermarest (also bought in NZ, with the bag). On a bed or cot, the thickness may not be as critical as if used on the ground, but if you are heavy I guess a thicker mat might be a better choice anyway.

I havent tried the Synmat 12, but I have the Synmat 7 from REI in Seattle.
http://www.rei.com/product/780367/exped-synmat-7-air-pad-with-pump
I love the fact the pump is built in. ( no parts to lose!)

I cant recommend a sleeping bag, because, as you say, the mummy style ones are all "frustrating " to sleep in.
My Coleman bag was warm when new, but is now poor and "lumpy".....They all seem to "go downhill" fast ....

(If you'd like an REI mat and can wait 10 weeks I can pop one in the post to you, otherwise perhaps try Cotswold as others have suggested?, )

What's an REI mat? How much are you looking for it?

Do you, or anyone else know of a more 'durable' bag?

I have a Rab 3/4 season bag which is over 20 years old but not seen a lot of use. Its super warm and has a hood but its a mummy shape so a bit cumbersome when I try to sleep with one knee at 90 degrees to side. If I could modify it to accomdate a little bit more room for my knee it would be perfect for autumn winter use. I think if you are going to give the bag any bit of use a down bag is a must as they pack down very small and are very light. They are pricey but most of the best stuff is too.

Exped down mat 9 over here, lovely bit of kit.
but buy a schnozzle as well if you get one, no need for a pump, hand or otherwise. Inflated in 30secs.

I've now evolved into my current bed setup which I really like and is very comfortable although I would like to change my bag for one with more foot room at some point as i'm a wriggler.
I bought a cheap chinese copy of one of those beds off of amazon and an exped downmat 9 LW. That takes care of getting me off the ground and warm from beneath. My sleeping bag is a lightweight 2 season but I take a cotton and fleece liner. If it is hot i sleep in the cotton liner and as it gets colder any combination of the 3 that suits.

My amazon bargain was a cheap copy of one of these http://www.facewest.co.uk/Thermarest-LuxuryLite-Ultralite-Cot.html?gclid=CLasxfvRgc8CFWUq0wodMPgGow

Back
Top Bottom