My 1150 Gs will not start

ashjon

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this site , very pleased to have found it. I need help!
I have a 2001 1150GS, owened it for 7 years.
I removed my fuel tank to do some general maintenance/cleaning. The bike was layed up for approx 3 weeks.

When fiinished and I reinstalled tank the bike run for about 30sec then cut out.
The pump seems ok whirring away on ignition, then I released the high pressure hose and tested it, the injectors working ok after removal and testing, and the spark is there . So I am stumped from here on in.

I have no extra electricals fitted although it does have an movement senseor alarm fitted which seems to be alive , I can hear it clicking, but i have never had it working, nor fiddled with it at all.

Can you guys give me some pointers please.

i know it might sound stupid but have you checked the fuel lines are not trapped or are the quick release on the line well pushed in together ?

That was one of the first things i checked, I changed the fuel lines around by mistake from low pressure return and such , realised my mistake and changed them back.

I also diconnected the high pressure fuel line from the injector and cranked it and all seemed well as the fuel shot out at me.

1st thing to check if you have had the tank off or up is the throttle cables are seated properly

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 537
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 528
I removed injectors today , tested them they are working ok , so I have spark i have fuel , I raised sidestand checked throttle housings ok...still no luck! It cranks fine but no fire.

Any chance the fuel ones are the wrong way round? Does it start if you open the fuel filling cap?

hello Smelly old boots thanks for helping. I have doubled checked the lines are the right way round , and yes i opened the filler cap ...still no luck

I know you've said you're getting fuel, but I'm just wondering if the fuel all went to the left side of the tank when you were putting it back on? If it ran for 30 seconds, then cut out, that sounds like fuel starvation to me.

Hello thank you for your help , I thought of this and half filled the tank, tried again....no luck.

1st thing to check if you have had the tank off or up is the throttle cables are seated properly

Hi shapeshifter thanks for the advice, yes the throttle cable is seates properly

They can become dislodged at the other end of the throttle cable at the throttle cassette which is out of sight.

Make sure the throttle body butterfly screws are against their stops.

Also hold the throttle pulleys and turn the throttle twist grip hard fully open, this can reseat the outer cable.,

Thanks for your help stepto, i have checked all of the throttle cables and done as you suggest ...no luck

You have fuel and spark. Do you have air? I've heard of engines sucking in rags or paper towels left near the intake during maintenance. :nenau

After that, I'd be wondering about timing. If it was running okay before you started working on it, I'd suspect that you've disturbed something. Go back over everything you worked on before you tried starting it.

Hello I am new to this site , very pleased to have found it. I need help!
I have a 2001 1150GS, owened it for 7 years.
I removed my fuel tank to do some general maintenance/cleaning. The bike was layed up for approx 3 weeks.

When fiinished and I reinstalled tank the bike run for about 30sec then cut out.
The pump seems ok whirring away on ignition, then I released the high pressure hose and tested it, the injectors working ok after removal and testing, and the spark is there . So I am stumped from here on in.

I have no extra electricals fitted although it does have an movement senseor alarm fitted which seems to be alive , I can hear it clicking, but i have never had it working, nor fiddled with it at all.

Can you guys give me some pointers please.

Based on your other answers to questions, the key may be that you connected the lines backwards. When you did that the pump worked against a closed valve (the fuel pressure regulator). It seems most likely to me that you blew open or off a fuel line inside the tank. Here's a photo of what can happen. When a high pressure line in the tank blows, the engine will start and run for a short time.

fuelfix9.jpg

Ok I have no spark, I have fuel ok just no spark at either end, is there any electricl brains out there to give advice. My first thought is the coil how do I test this on the bike ?

Thanks for the input Toger I will check that out also, but I have just found I have no spark at all from either end.

Back
Top Bottom