Newbie in France

Fullback

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just booked a weeks holiday in the Loire valley
For a week with wife and bike
What do I need to know before I go re laws ,requirements etc
Tips hints and help all gratefully received.
Thank you

Have a good time, but rember two things.
1. In France everyone loves a biker
2. Unless you are sure you know to the contrary, give way to traffic from the right. Look it up, familiarise yourself with the signs, but don't rely on them.

Not sure how your travelling, ferry tunnel etc. Saint omer is ok for a night to break up the travelling if your going into calais.
Of course depends how far south you live. Spare bulb kit, warning triangle and breath test kit should be carried, officially anyway.
Loads of people on here have far more knowledge than me so im sure more tips will follow.
Have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny I was looking up getting a new lid and only read today that in France you're technically supposed to have extra hi viz stickers on the back and sides (I think). Stolzy will know but I can't recall him or me ever having them adhered in the past. His advice on the Priority a droite rule is however crucial. Read it up otherwise you could be in for a shock ... or worse. One of the best countries in the world to ride in IMO.

Hi guys

Just booked a weeks holiday in the Loire valley
For a week with wife and bike
What do I need to know before I go re laws ,requirements etc
Tips hints and help all gratefully received.
Thank you

Nothing to worry about, just take all your bike paperwork, passport, money and credit cards. Oh and make sure that you drive on the right hand side of the road and take extra care on roundabouts, they do your head in first time you have to go around them the wrong way :) Go really slowly through towns and villages because of priorite a droit.

Last 10 years or so, even at routine check points (usually holiday periods, then mostly on busy roads) I just get waved through.

Just in case, you need all your bike documents, incl V5, insurance and mot if necessary yet. Supposed to be the real thing, but now many of us do our insurance online and print off our own... ? A drivers licence and passport for you. I keep all that in a plastic folder in a backpack. I would just give them the whole pack.

I don't think bikers need a triangle - you never see French motards with them. I think there is a rule about going to the aid of the injured and some people have been prosecuted for not doing so. Somehow, having a first aid kit got involved.
You are supposed to have a means of adapting the headlamp to avoid dazzle. I haven't bothered in years, but a bit of tape shows willing.
The breathalyser thing is dead in the water, although still on the books, there is no penalty for failure to have one. I have heard rumours that Sarko had relations in the business... maybe untrue?
Other than a speeding thing, the only time I have been stopped was for not having the headlamp on, its a requirement. I think you are supposed to be able to have the thing working, which is where the "must have a set of bulbs" comes from. Now so many cars and bikes have such a plethora of bits to remove to do this, its a bit of a nonsense, however, I think French law has its ass like qualities too.
As far as I aware, any of the local regulations like hiviz on clothing and helmets cannot be applied to visitors from abroad. There is something in the Geneva and Wien Vehicle and Transport Conventions about it.

The stories of Brits being "picked on" are likely from the folk who think they can ride through and across other people's countries with impunity.
I got caught once, bang to rights in a radar. As it was close to lunchtime, Sgt, much to the obvious annoyance of m'laddo, could see the episode impinging on his lunch time, so I was let go. Let it be a lesson and don't speed and don't go on busy roads.

As you roll off the ferry/train, you will start to feel the change in attitude towards bikers in general. Police, hoteliers and restaurateurs all look at you in a far more benign manner than here. Car drivers and truckers will move over. Only kids on scooter and harley riders don't wave.
I've gone into Michelin recommended restaurants, dripping with road filth. To be welcomed and commiserated with and shown a decent table. After the excellent meal, the Maitresse d' Hote brought out our now dried outers, helped us get them on and wished us "Bon route!" Tres Gentile!

Have a great time.

Bien sur

Funny I was looking up getting a new lid and only read today that in France you're technically supposed to have extra hi viz stickers on the back and sides (I think). Stolzy will know but I can't recall him or me ever having them adhered in the past. His advice on the Priority a droite rule is however crucial. Read it up otherwise you could be in for a shock ... or worse. One of the best countries in the world to ride in IMO.

The sticker law has been a requirement in France for years, I bought a helmet for the wife recently, and got a pack of stickers in it, which are reflective. To be applied front, rear, and each side. I've never heard of anyone being pulled up on it however, and reckon if you're a Brit, driving sensibly, you'd be unlikely to fall foul of the law.
The priority a droite rule is DEFINITELY something you want to be aware of though. It's normally applicable only in built up areas.

In this image, the sign with the cross on it, means priorite a droite, so that car will likely pull right out without even looking and if you tbone him, it's YOUR fault.

priorite-a-droite-3.jpg

Apart from that sign, there are also these two,

This one means, you're on a road which no longer has priority, and you often see that when coming into villages or built up areas.

AB7.png

This one, is known as 'priorite ponctuelle' and means YOU have priority, but only over the junction immediately after the sign, so once past the junction, if it's built up, assume priorite a droite.

image.jpg

It sounds scary and complicated but it was designed to slow people down in built up areas and it works in that respect. Once you are in the open, generally, whichever road you're on in the countryside, you will have priority.

In built up areas, ride through villages as if a tractor could appear out of nowhere and pull right out in front of you at the last minute. Seriously the police are really cracking down on people speeding through villages and towns, and if you have UK plates, you WILL have the book thrown at you. If you ride at 30kph instead of 100 through most villages, ye never know, you might find a gem of a cafe.

Enjoy, oh, and ride on the right :thumb

Good resume from Franco, but don't rely on the signs. In rural areas (and there's a lit of priorite a droite in the countryside) you likely won't see any signage other then a lack of white paint on the joining minor road. In small villages unmarked priorite a droites are very common.

Far from being abolished priority a droite is being introduced as a traffic calming measure.

Back
Top Bottom