I bet the ink isn't even dry................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not, but I can hardly imagine the buyer telling David when he came to see it that he's looking for a quick profit in its immediate resale. If he had, then David maybe being not too happy about it

No i can see that and I also agree that it isn't necessarily in the spirit of this place but in the grand scheme of things ........

One of the many good things about this forum is that there are many 'mates rates' deals to be had. This is usually for the mutual benefit of subscribed tossers and in the most part, what goes round comes round.

It would have just been 'nice' to see David's bike go to someone on here that would use it and appreciate the history of it, knowing that they'd not been sold a pup or been ripped off and would be looking forward to enjoying the bike for what it was made for.

To buy a bike from someone on here with the sole purpose of making a profit from its immediate sale seems to be against the spirit of UKGSer. Fair enough if after a while you find the bike is not for you and then sell it for more than you paid, then good luck.

It's hardly an encouragement for tossers on here to offer their bikes for sale here if they think that the buyer is just going to sell them on for a profit.

Just my 2p

.......or another way of looking at it - the bike was advertised on here for over a week and Florence was the only one to come up with the asking price. If he had not and no one else did then David would likely have ended up accepting an offer and would have sold the bike for less.

This way David gets what he asked for, Florence spends some time cleaning the bike and maybe makes a profit ;)

Came within an ace of buying it but ti was a bit far away for a look.:tears

Hey ho ... Has anyone seen my tent by the way?

And if anyone has a decent airhead GS , let me know.

David doesn't give a shit about it as he got the price he wanted for it.

What was strange for me was knowing who'd bought it and then reading his posts as if he hadn't. Not really any of my business though.

That bike came from Billh a few years back. It's always nice to follow the history of these bikes.

We are all missing the important question here :rob

..............did David include the clothes peg in the sale and is this listed somewhere on ebay as well :D

Came within an ace of buying it but ti was a bit far away for a look.:tears

Hey ho ... Has anyone seen my tent by the way?

And if anyone has a decent airhead GS , let me know.

Think there is one on ebay now - it's even gotten a little closer to you :D

...did David include the clothes peg in the sale and is this listed somewhere on ebay as well :D

That (in)famous clothes peg went with the bike.

I hope it stays with it, and makes some good journeys.

But somehow, I have my doubts...

Hi Nick, thanks for the 2p it may come in useful?
I bought the bike with an idea of restoring it but after meeting with David and looking hard at the bike I thought it needs to remain as is. So after sleeping on it and discussing first, with David, if he would mind if I advertised the bike on eBay I listed it.
It is a reluctant sale, I have Not asked the earth for it £99 and no reserve and I have a guy coming over today who is aware of the bike on this forum. If I kept it for a while then advertised it at the same start price and let's say it sold for £5k I would never hear the end of it. These bikes are only going one way.

Ok guys, David's bike was advertised for all to see and buy, correct?
None of you went to see it, correct?
None of you offered the £3000 asking price, correct?
The guy that got off his sofa and went to look, paid the asking price and took it away has every right to keep it or sell it on, correct?
He has advertised it with a start price of £99 and no reserve!
If you want my opinion and I doubt you do, he has big gonads. Good luck to the guy I hope he gets a bit of profit from it.
As for using David's words to describe it, how many ways can you say "it's kept greasy"? Well lubricated maybe!! Or nicely oiled up?
I'm sure it will got to a good home and the new owner will be very happy with the price they pay.

All correct, and I have absolutely no issues with this, we all like to buy low and sell high, and pick up a bargain,

but only a C*nt would make it look like they were in support of a third party, when they were the third party! :D

Hi Nick, thanks for the 2p it may come in useful?
I bought the bike with an idea of restoring it but after meeting with David and looking hard at the bike I thought it needs to remain as is. So after sleeping on it and discussing first, with David, if he would mind if I advertised the bike on eBay I listed it.
It is a reluctant sale, I have Not asked the earth for it £99 and no reserve and I have a guy coming over today who is aware of the bike on this forum. If I kept it for a while then advertised it at the same start price and let's say it sold for £5k I would never hear the end of it. These bikes are only going one way.

Thanks for clearing that up, if it's with David's blessing, I wish you all the best with the sale

But that is not how it appeared at the start of this thread ;)

If the new buyer doesn't want the peg, I would happily add it to one of my Airheads and post up "Peg's travels" photos from it.

I can't promise it would ever get back to Istambul, but I can take it to Squires for a mug of tea every so often.:D

I thought it quite funny that Johnny suggested Rod of York had bought it so I ran with it a little. If that makes me a Cnut then so be it.I knew it would get interesting on here, none of you know me, David is the only one that has met me,ask him how the conversation went when I was looking at the bike. The peg is going with the bike, I do have some other pegs for sale but not yet as I have not had them long enough!

I thought it quite funny that Johnny suggested Rod of York had bought it so I ran with it a little. If that makes me a Cnut then so be it.I knew it would get interesting on here, none of you me, David is the only one that has met me,ask him how the conversation went when I was looking at the bike. The peg is going with the bike, I do have some other pegs for sale but not yet as I have not had them long enough!

It's a free world, do as you like....................but you'll soon get to know we're a sort of community here

Great things have been organised from here, much money raised for charity and even people, down on their luck have been 'given' bikes or TV's from our donations

David is a fine sort of chap and as you've find out, we look out for others here (although he's a grown-up) - but not much goes unnoticed by this Community

Think there is one on ebay now - it's even gotten a little closer to you :D

So it has! There's hope for me yet! Does it have a matching tent?

Edit: All is not lost! Just discovered this. And only a few yards away. Every wash day has a silver lining!

Attachments

• peg.jpg
    peg.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 468
Thank you for commenting Johnny and a great community it is too. I'm all up for helping others, giving to friends,charity etc etc.
I'm not a bad guy and if I'm guilty of anything it's having a bit of fun with a couple of posts on here.

I was tempted to buy it (and would have happily travelled to collect it) as I thought it was a bit of a bargain. However I don't really want to own it so I'd have been buying the bargain not the bike with the intention of selling on for a bit of a profit. However, I wouldn't do that with a bike / forum member here. I've always respected the unwritten understanding that the classifieds here aren't for those looking to make a profit. Anything that I've ever bought from here that I've then resold has been advertised on here for the same price (there or there abouts) that I paid for it.
Here's an example -

I bought a Suzuki RV125 VanVan for SWMBO to learn to ride on, she couldn't get on with it so I advertised here for about the same money that I paid for it.

I sold it to Bryn ..... Bryn kept it for about a year and sold it to BHT for about the same money he paid me .... BHT kept it for about a year and sold it to (?) on here for about the same money as he paid Bryn for it.

As others have already said, there's a sense of community here (and some eagle eyed spotters too) which I very much respect.

I guess with only a handful of posts Florence has no sense of that community as he's (She's?) not been immersed in it for any period of time.

This post isn't a dig at Florence, you pays your money and all that, it's just my take on things and perhaps an explanation to Florence why some have found the situation a little sour.

Right, I was very kindly donated a BMW technicians service manual for an R100 from an honourable gentleman on here .......... Must be worth £30 surely? :aidan

Edit: All is not lost! Just discovered this. And only a few yards away. Every wash day has a silver lining!

That's a really good match for one of those spearmint coloured paralever GSs.

Does anyone have a Metallic Ginger one to suit the R90S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom