Puig Touring screen on LC GSA

Fitted one of these to my Iconic GSA. Good improvement, mine is supported by the Givi bracket which is good quality.

I've been reading all of these screen posts and can't help wondering if these taller screens give visibility problems when close filtering for some people.
I have found that I need to lower the standard screen to it's lowest position to be able to clearly judge those 'just wide enough to get through' gaps and if the screen was any taller it would affect visibility in those situations due to distortion. Of course it depends on your height and the seat you have on your LC but wondered if anyone has had second thoughts in this regard after fitting a taller screen?

Doing an 8 day trip in 10 days time, think I'm going to put my touring screen back on. It is bloody good (although I'm not 100% on the looks)

I've been reading all of these screen posts and can't help wondering if these taller screens give visibility problems when close filtering for some people.
I have found that I need to lower the standard screen to it's lowest position to be able to clearly judge those 'just wide enough to get through' gaps and if the screen was any taller it would affect visibility in those situations due to distortion. Of course it depends on your height and the seat you have on your LC but wondered if anyone has had second thoughts in this regard after fitting a taller screen?

If its of any use, i made this video, and I'm using the Puig touring screen. I'm 5' 11" The camera is actually below my eye level on the right of my helmet.

'

Hi, I bought a clear PUIG touring screen for my 2016 R1200GS but it doesn't seem to fit?

The part number says 6486W and this is what says fits on the puig.com website, but the holes are totally different locations to the stock screen, so the mounting brackets don't line up when I try to fit it?

Have I missed something here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They only difference in GS models (to my knowledge) is that the early '13 bikes had smaller diameter holes in the screen. I bought a screen for my '15 bike and had to drill out the holes a bit bigger. Different locations sounds a defective product? There is some play in the screen mech, how far out are they? Got a pic?

I've got the light smoke Puig touring screen on my GS Iconic with the Cymarc adjusters to keep it stable.

I am now able to ride at any speed with my visor fully open with zero wind blast - great for touring!

Took a while to get used to looking through screen for close up work, but can still see over the top for normal riding. As others have said though, the dark smoke version would be tricky, especially at night!

They only difference in GS models (to my knowledge) is that the early '13 bikes had smaller diameter holes in the screen. I bought a screen for my '15 bike and had to drill out the holes a bit bigger. Different locations sounds a defective product? There is some play in the screen mech, how far out are they? Got a pic?

Cheers for the info, no pic just now as I'm heading up to Scotland for a few days. Will get one when I get back.

The holes are about 5mm too far in on both sides.

thank-you for the thread and posts guys, I also am in the market for a bigger screen and have been looking at the PUIG

I like the look of the smoke tint but I might go with the clear as I have mates who have the smoke and wished they got the clear for night riding periods etc

I got the PUIG touring screen (CLEAR) for £84 including delivery from MandP for my GS

Interesting and varied views on the Puig touring screen.
I bought a 30% smoked one last month. I had hoped it might help cure the wind noise from my helmet (I've always struggled with ear plugs). My X-Lite flip front is the comfiest helmet I've ever owned, but also the noisiest. It's quieter with the visor or flip front up than when the visor. Is down.
I thought the Puig screen would take away the noise and it does. Unfortunately, I can't get used to looking through the screen as opposed to looking over the top. If I lower it to see over, the noise in my ears comes back and defeats the whole object.
So sadly, it's not for me.
It's was on my bike for a total of two runs out. If anybody is interested in it, let me know.
Cheers

I went for the dark Puig. Better than stock by miles but not perfect. Thinking of getting a spoiler or something for the top, whatever the correct name is. Was a little nervous first few rides with it but it's fine now and worth it in the summer.
81af5518958a09e7cb90fba0fd28d5fe.jpg

I'm not having much luck here with the Puig.

1st one I bought on Amazon and when it arrived the mounting holes were WAY off, so I've sent it back for a refund.

Next I ordered another clear one off the M&P website, again exactly the same model number as before, clarified by Puig via their website.

This arrived and I've just tried to fit it. Not only were the mounting holes much smaller in diameter, making the fit very tight, but the mounting holes are still way off?!

Here are a few pics to illustrate.

6a753c6a19a807e79a992793f02d5ed8.jpg

dc771eeac7ba1a9ae65a246feaed1d46.jpg

Pretty hacked off with Puig now, how can two screens off exactly the same model number both be the wrong fit and both have mounting holes so wildly different to not only the original stock screen, but also each other?! Terrible QA.

Think I'll be going elsewhere now.

I'm not having much luck here with the Puig.

1st one I bought on Amazon and when it arrived the mounting holes were WAY off, so I've sent it back for a refund.

Next I ordered another clear one off the M&P website, again exactly the same model number as before, clarified by Puig via their website.

This arrived and I've just tried to fit it. Not only were the mounting holes much smaller in diameter, making the fit very tight, but the mounting holes are still way off?!

Here are a few pics to illustrate.

6a753c6a19a807e79a992793f02d5ed8.jpg

dc771eeac7ba1a9ae65a246feaed1d46.jpg

Pretty hacked off with Puig now, how can two screens off exactly the same model number both be the wrong fit and both have mounting holes so wildly different to not only the original stock screen, but also each other?! Terrible QA.

Think I'll be going elsewhere now.

For what it's worth I find the Wunderlich extension just as good as a taller screen. The bonus being you take it off after winter, and get cooling air in the summer (and you're bike still looks good :D )

I found the same thing with the Puig touring screen I bought (with spoiler) and it was a right PITA to fit. I started off by doing the same as I think you did which is remove the 2 screws on the bracket at the rear of the screen and taking the existing screen off the bracket and attempting to fit the Puig in its place, which just wouldnt work because the holes didnt line up. That in itself is tricky enough because its difficult to get to the bottom screws. In the end I found a better way to fit the screen was to undo the single screw in the middle of the bracket at the back of the screen which allows both parts of the bracket to come apart; then push downwards and the screen with the front part of the bracket should come away. Then fit the front part of the bracket to the Puig and leave all the screws a bit loose. By doing this and with a bit of swearing I find I can push the Puig onto the rear part of the bracket on the bike. Then obviously tighten up all screws. Even this method is a lot more difficult than it should be because the Puig holes dont line up

Whilst I'm in moaning mode, knowing that owners change screens why did BMW make it so difficult to do it? I also have a K1600GT and changing screens on that is a breeze because all the screen retaining screws are on the outside of the screen not the inside like on the GSA/GS. I can change screens on my K16 in minutes but on my GSA it still takes half an hour of swearing even though I know what I'm doing now because I've done it several times

Another moan as well. Why on earth do Puig only offer their touring screens in tinted colours rather than clear? Surely they realise that with a taller screen some riders are going to be looking through it rather than over it. I'm 6' 1" and even with my Puig set at the lowest position and the seat on its high position I'm still partially looking through it which is why I change to a lower MRA screen in the summer. The Puig touring screen with spoiler does offer far superior protection to the standard screen but why does it have to be such a PITA to fit why isnt available in a clear version?

I found the same thing with the Puig touring screen I bought (with spoiler) and it was a right PITA to fit. I started off by doing the same as I think you did which is remove the 2 screws on the bracket at the rear of the screen and taking the existing screen off the bracket and attempting to fit the Puig in its place, which just wouldnt work because the holes didnt line up. That in itself is tricky enough because its difficult to get to the bottom screws. In the end I found a better way to fit the screen was to undo the single screw in the middle of the bracket at the back of the screen which allows both parts of the bracket to come apart; then push downwards and the screen with the front part of the bracket should come away. Then fit the front part of the bracket to the Puig and leave all the screws a bit loose. By doing this and with a bit of swearing I find I can push the Puig onto the rear part of the bracket on the bike. Then obviously tighten up all screws. Even this method is a lot more difficult than it should be because the Puig holes dont line up

Whilst I'm in moaning mode, knowing that owners change screens why did BMW make it so difficult to do it? I also have a K1600GT and changing screens on that is a breeze because all the screen retaining screws are on the outside of the screen not the inside like on the GSA/GS. I can change screens on my K16 in minutes but on my GSA it still takes half an hour of swearing even though I know what I'm doing now because I've done it several times

Another moan as well. Why on earth do Puig only offer their touring screens in tinted colours rather than clear? Surely they realise that with a taller screen some riders are going to be looking through it rather than over it. I'm 6' 1" and even with my Puig set at the lowest position and the seat on its high position I'm still partially looking through it which is why I change to a lower MRA screen in the summer. The Puig touring screen with spoiler does offer far superior protection to the standard screen but why does it have to be such a PITA to fit why isnt available in a clear version?

They do come in clear mate, the Ines I ordered are clear.

Thanks for the advice Re fitting, but the holes are so out that it's impossible to fit at all.

No problems with the holes aligning with my Puig touring screen, perfect fit and very pleased with it!

No problems with the holes aligning with my Puig touring screen, perfect fit and very pleased with it!

Good to hear, just weird that I've bought 2 now and they're both different and neither fit, yet have same part number?

Back
Top Bottom