Turkey-still a tourist destination?

bladerunner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm in the process of planning a tour of Turkey.

Now, please leave aside your opinion of professional tour leader type pre planned tours - I know we all set off on our own adventures.

If you can put yourself in the mind of a cash rich time poor customer;

Would you sign up for a 2 week tour of Turkey starting in Instanbul? Blue mosque, cappadoce, Roman ruins, early Christianity and whirling dervishes etc. fairly decent hotels and good daily rides.

The route would avoid southern troubled areas and probably lesbos departure lounge.

Or do you feel recent press would sway you away from such "just enough adventure?"

I'd go.

Istanbul and the sights there are worth seeing as is Cappadocia etc. It's a huge country so as long as you avoid the south east then you should be fine.

I'd avoid touristy bits of Istanbul and central Ankara, ISIS and the PKK are still very much a threat. Other than that the rest of Turkey is still safe, what's the route?

I'd avoid touristy bits of Istanbul and central Ankara, ISIS and the PKK are still very much a threat. Other than that the rest of Turkey is still safe, what's the route?

+1

Given the standard of driving in Turkey you are more at risk from an RTA than an terrorist attack.

Not much point in going to Istanbul as a tourist..... And then avoiding the 'Touristy bits' :blast

Not much point in going to Istanbul as a tourist..... And then avoiding the 'Touristy bits' :blast

Istanbul's big, really big. If part of a tour that will spend only a day or two in the city there's plenty to do that would avoid both the Blue Mosque / Istiklal areas.

The Princess Islands, Beylerbeyi Palace, Koç and Sabancı museums, Dolmabahçe Palace and nearby Ortaköy are but a few.

I love Istanbul.... was there recently - I would go where I damm well pleased, just as much chance of an attack in London ...... also, Istanbul population is around 16 million I think? more chance of an RTA as already stated then being unlucky enough with ISIS....

Travel info about traveling by bike in Turkey

I asked the OMM in Turkey information about going eastwards in Turkey up to the Iranian boarder. This was their answer (last week):

The situation east of Gaziantep and Urfa is fluid and it changes almost daily. Last time I was in the area was October 2015 and border with Iran and area Van-Dogubeyazit-Kars had no problems with only restrictions on night riding.
Custom Turkey -Iran was open with the usual long lines.
Armenia border was declared open but I did not go there.
I am sending now requests to fellow OMM riders asking for most update information; still it will all change by the time you'll be here West of the line Urfa Malatya Erzurum Kars the riding is extremely safe and this year prices will be very favourable (we expect the worst season for touring in the last twenty years )
Gürbulak border to Iran is clear.

Second information:

He can take the Sivas-Erzincan-Erzurum-Ağrı route to cross the Gürbulak border to Iran. He should stay on main roads and travel on daytime. He should avoid Tunceli and Bingöl area. We do not recommend him to stop over at Doğubeyazıt. The last spot to stay for the night can be Erzurum and and there should be no problems if he rides directly to the border from Erzurum.

While riding to Gürbulak, right after he passes Doğubeyazıt he will see the magnificent Mount Ararat, which will seem very close and that may tempt him to take the village roads towards the mountain. We strongly recommend him to fight this temptation and stay on the main road. Also he might also want to see the Noah's Arc; that is not wise either.

If he has time, he can visit Ishak Pasha Palace at Doğubeyazıt. He will not have any problems at Doğubeyazıt city center and Ishak Pasha Road.

So I think safe traveling by motorcycle is possible, but be aware of problems in the eastern sector.

I asked the OMM in Turkey information about going eastwards in Turkey up to the Iranian boarder. This was their answer (last week):

The situation east of Gaziantep and Urfa is fluid and it changes almost daily. Last time I was in the area was October 2015 and border with Iran and area Van-Dogubeyazit-Kars had no problems with only restrictions on night riding.
Custom Turkey -Iran was open with the usual long lines.
Armenia border was declared open but I did not go there.
I am sending now requests to fellow OMM riders asking for most update information; still it will all change by the time you'll be here West of the line Urfa Malatya Erzurum Kars the riding is extremely safe and this year prices will be very favourable (we expect the worst season for touring in the last twenty years )
Gürbulak border to Iran is clear.

Second information:

He can take the Sivas-Erzincan-Erzurum-Ağrı route to cross the Gürbulak border to Iran. He should stay on main roads and travel on daytime. He should avoid Tunceli and Bingöl area. We do not recommend him to stop over at Doğubeyazıt. The last spot to stay for the night can be Erzurum and and there should be no problems if he rides directly to the border from Erzurum.

While riding to Gürbulak, right after he passes Doğubeyazıt he will see the magnificent Mount Ararat, which will seem very close and that may tempt him to take the village roads towards the mountain. We strongly recommend him to fight this temptation and stay on the main road. Also he might also want to see the Noah's Arc; that is not wise either.

If he has time, he can visit Ishak Pasha Palace at Doğubeyazıt. He will not have any problems at Doğubeyazıt city center and Ishak Pasha Road.

So I think safe traveling by motorcycle is possible, but be aware of problems in the eastern sector.

I 2nd all of that.

Pammukale is worth a visit too. Very touristy, but for a good reason. Fascinating place.

Back
Top Bottom