125cc bike advice wanted please

RDub

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Could I tap into the vast experience on the forum please.

My 27 year old son has just passed his CBT and is now looking to buy a 125cc bike to commute to work and practice on for around 6 months before taking his full test.

He is 6ft 3" tall and large build (not tosser size though).

I am not familiar with 125cc bikes. Can anyone recommend a bike that will suit his size and won't depreciate too much in value.

I think he has about £1500 to spend.

Cheers.

On any of the 125 road bikes ie Honda cbr/cbf 125 or Yamaha yzf/ybr 125 he is going to look ridiculous and be extremely cramped ,better off looking for a Yamaha xt125/wr125 or even a late dt125 or similar.

The trailies keep their value and handle the inevitable learner low speed offs much better than the road bikes , my niece ran an xt125 around for 4 years as a commuter after she passed her restricted licence and only got rid when it was written off by an obviously blind car driver

If you can find an older Honda Varadero 125 that would be a great bike. Very tall for a 125, well built and will likely keep its value these days as they no longer make them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking bike , given his size he would not suit the usual Scooter or conventional 125's

Varadilldo 125 if he wants a geared bike or Vespa GTS125 if he doesn't mind an auto, Honda MSX125 if you fancy giving his mates a giggle :thumb

I'd say go straight for the test and put the £1500 to a full sized machine.

Thanks everybody for the advice. Next step is to go and sit on a few and try them for size. The Varadero seems a good choice.

Cheers.

My lads just over 6' and is pretty well built and he managed just fine for 3years riding a YBR125 like the one that's on here for sale. He may even end up back on it if his car breaks down:eek:

Personally I'd say go straight to test at his age, something like the CB500 in the for sales wouldn't cost that much to insure and would give him a much more useable bike.

Back
Top Bottom