North Cyprus as an alternative to Turkey?

Dennis Tanner

Reaction score
We were looking to travel to Turkey, but with all the recent problems and the latest Russian issues we have moved our getaway to North Cyprus

https://www.directtraveller.com/holidays/north-cyprus has anybody visited the region, and do you think its ok to go there? we are visiting in June.

We were planning on staying at this hotel https://www.directtraveller.com/hotels/north-cyprus/kyrenia/pia-bella-hotel and travelling around the region although the closest thing we could find to a real bike are Vespas for hire :).

Thanks a bunch,

Dennis Tanner.

No security issues in Northern Cyprus and imho, south west Turkey itself. We will be touring there in June also, but taking our own bikes so can't help with bike hire

The Pia Bella is in a fairly busy/noisy part of Girne/Kyrenia but seems to have a good reputation amongst expats

For my money the peace and quiet of Ambelia Village Hotel high above the coast and just a few minutes walk from Bellapais abbey is hard to beat - others enjoy the Ship Hotel, also within walking distance of the harbour

Whatever transport you find do take a trip up the Panhandle. Set off early and aim for lunch at the open air reastaurant at Ayios Philos, the old Roman harbour near Dikarpaz

Visit and climb up the steps to St Hilarion castle and enjoy the great vista then take the small road westwards that winds along the mountain tops

There is tons to see and do in the North and I bet you will go back again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 482
If you want to lay on a beach then your in luck, if you want to shop it's a bit of a dump and unfortunately that includes restaurants. It's not recognised by anyone except turkey so there has been little investment,

The North is not everyones cup of tea, especially if you want Fish and Chips , Kareoke and high rise and lots of restaurants on your door step and Irish bars, if you want that don't go.

I love the way its undeveloped , for now. Beautiful mountains 4000 years of history, crystal blue seas. There are around 4 5 start hotels , mainly for Turkish and Russian gambles, as a holiday destination its pretty much paradise, well in my eyes, very cheap 3 course meal with coffee and brandy around £8 max

Mike

I went with SWMBO a couple of years ago and compared to other parts of the med I thought it was a lot quieter and less developed. The people were friendly and the thing that will prevent us going back is that currently because of the embargo you can't fly direct-we flew via mainland Turkey and we suffered delays in Antalya both on the outward and return journey. It took so long by the time we got to the hotel we could have flown to the USA instead!

Seems the best option to get there to me-we were on a package deal and could only fly in via Turkey, which in my experience is best avoided

Back
Top Bottom