BSA A65

There is something about these old bikes that gets under the skin. Whenever I fancy a little ride on a nice day it's nearly always the BSA. Longer trips or going somewhere further the GS , a perfect pairing in my opinion .

I agree, the Spitfire tank really sets it off, it was a cheapy Indian one. Not bad but a bit of a bastard to get to fit right. Its 2" taller than the standard tank, I had to get a mate to machine up a fitting to replace the original tank bolt set up, then gaffa tape thick foam on top of the top tube to bring it up into place.

Its actually the sound of it I like most, it usually starts first kick, but it has to be a proper kick, a jump up on the kickstart job, but it fires up like rolling thunder. I'm not sure why they call these exhausts silencers, as they seem to actually magnify the sound if anything, its great.

Real world quick enough too, its no slouch.

We were young bobbies, nineteen years old. I had the BSA A65 Lightning, my school buddy, we joined up together, bought the Velocette 500cc Thruxton. My 'Leetnin' would pull away and leave him standing, but about the 100mph mark, where my acceleration was petering off, still some left mind, but about 111mph was the road test max ....

.... he would gain on me, come alongside .... bop bop bop ... snick it in to fourth (top gear to you younguns) and pull away :eek:

Never did forgive him :D

:beerjug:

Update - The A65 is up and running and in daily use. Its an absolute blast and sounds fantastic. Ive left the original patina, but I changed seat, tank, silencers and a few other bits that were worn out or leaking, its huge fun....

What a lovely old bike....No 'Garage Queen' just an up and running blast around sort of bike with masses of character....Loud, fast enough for what it's doing and so so so much fun.

It's the sort of bike the got me into bikes in the first place......Great bike......:)

Lovely bike. Built a A65 hard tailed bobber a few years ago, great fun to ride and the TLS front brake was a peach. Shame the git that reground the crank managed to put 3 thou of taper on the main bearing journal...lasted all summer until it grenaded.

We were young bobbies, nineteen years old. I had the BSA A65 Lightning, my school buddy, we joined up together, bought the Velocette 500cc Thruxton. My 'Leetnin' would pull away and leave him standing, but about the 100mph mark, where my acceleration was petering off, still some left mind, but about 111mph was the road test max ....

.... he would gain on me, come alongside .... bop bop bop ... snick it in to fourth (top gear to you younguns) and pull away :eek:

Never did forgive him :D

Funny you should say that Micky. I was struck by the similarity twixt Dozer's bike and and a Velo Thruxton in the tank / seat line.

I love it, its old, loud, a bit rusty but in full working order but people always stop and look at it. The only other bike I have ever had that stops people like that is my S7 Sunbeam, buts that's 1949 and a different era, more of a gentlemans carriage rather than a hooligan tool like the A65.

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 350
Funny you should say that Micky. I was struck by the similarity twixt Dozer's bike and and a Velo Thruxton in the tank / seat line.

As it happens I was using the chrome base of the seat as the start line for the underside of the tank, from the side, as it gives it flow, like a Commando 961. From a higher angle you can see how much wider the tank is tho.

Dozer, did you get the front brake sorted?
I'm glad you're enjoying the bike, they are a lot better than most naysayers think. I remember when no one wanted them, that's when I bought mine for £180 and have had it ever since. I would run past (I can't actually run now) all my bikes to pull the Lightning out if the garage caught fire.

Yes front brake is now superb, new shoes and correct cable and adjustment. Id love to pick up another for £180, but even barn finds are 3k plus now.....

From my 1966 original BSA brochure. The 650 Spitfire Mk II Special (A65SS) looked a mean bugger. Those Amal GP carbs made it a beast, tamed down in the later models by Concentrics :eek:

i-BCPdkpz-L.jpg

Update: Gorgeous 4 gallon fuel tank sprung a leak! Ive been using it regularly and I think the vibration has rubbed a bit of the solder away. The wet patch under it is actually petrol....

Attachments

• IMG_2611.jpg
    IMG_2611.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 369
Is it one of those Indian tanks? Had one on my A65 and the fucking thing leaked from new. Ended up getting hold of a original export tank.

Yes it is, doesn't fit particularly well, had to make up all sorts of bracketry to hold it in the right place. I just bought a tin of tank sealant to see what it does, failing that theres a local guy that's very good with a soldering iron....

I'd highly recommend POR15 as a tank sealant, get the kit as it comes with a cleaning solution and etching primer. Follow the instructions properly and it's good stuff....I've sealed some right colanders with it.

I'd highly recommend POR15 as a tank sealant, get the kit as it comes with a cleaning solution and etching primer. Follow the instructions properly and it's good stuff....I've sealed some right colanders with it.

Plus 1 for above BUT follow the instructions to the letter. These polyurethane epoxy blends use moisture in the atmosphere as part of the curing agent. So if the tank is moist following the metal ready process, the POR will surface cure and not through cure, so it will peel off. Lots of videos on the net showing how to do.

I used the wifes hair dryer to really dry out the tank , point it in the fuel filler and exhaust through tapping for the pet cock. Sorry pictures upside down Que Australian jokes.

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 314
Ive been offered my dream bike, a Panther M100, so the A65 is now officially up for sale....!

MOT Jan 2018, matching numbers, 20 years worth of MOTs. Starts and runs perfectly.

£4750 ono.

Attachments

• IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 235
Get thee behind me Satan! No room in the lock up ... No room in the lock up ... No room in the lock up ... No room in the lock up ... No room in the lock up ... No room in the lock up ... No room in the lock up ...

Back
Top Bottom