Calais to Malmo

The bod has a 'long weekend' (four days, at a guess) he'll maybe struggle to do Calais, Berlin and the Baltic States... Unless he gets his skates on.

As I said, I took a week, and a 2cv has to be much slower than anything this side of a postie bike.

I have, perhaps like a few others, done rides "just because", perhaps that is the OP's motivation.
Over a long weekend with a yen for the north, I'd perhaps do Berlin. The Baltic States are a bit far - TBH I was thinking more like near Poland, only another few dozen kms.
Perhaps the Baltic States deserves a greater time commitment too, but soon. They are changing very rapidly .

I also got to see Berlin before the wall came down. When I was last there a couple of years ago, they had just realised there was almost no wall left and had to arrange for it to be preserved.

I'm a bit of a Len Deighton fan, so it was nice being able to have a poke about some places he mentions which had been off limits on previous visits.
The Stalinallee, nee Frankfurterallee (don't know its current nomenclature) was interesting too - great monstrous soviet show boulevard, but the little Hinterhof behind had lots of nice little apartments, presumably for the privileged Apparatchiks, unlike the metal framed workers social housing near a very old fashioned restaurant, eating some great Kartoffeleintopf mit Bocki, with some decent Dunkel Bier. Lovely atmosphere, now.

I own personal "pointless" trip would be to some pleasant corner of France, booked into a small family hotel with a few Michelin *'d restaurants with easy reach. Perhaps include a few vinyards to visit during the day.

Judging by some other posts he does seem to get very cross very quickly.

Not really I think I had one disagreement on here with someone quite aggressive. I'm not sure why you've taken such affront to me to warrant looking through my previous posts!

Having come across this thread a bit late (nothing unusual there) I'd say that the only part of riding to Malmo really worth doing are the big bridges as you head east across Denmark then over into Sweden. They're particularly good on a really windy day because it'll be the most exciting part of the journey once you cross into Denmark.

We stopped just a little bit further east on the coast near Flensburg in a very nice hotel where the beers and evening meal were reasonably priced and the breakfast was a proper eat as much as you can possibly manage without any dirty looks from the staff place so worth visiting.

That's a fairly easy first day on the bike done and from there you can be in Malmö by mid afternoon giving you plenty of time to explore before deciding there are nicer places within 100 miles where you can spend the next day without too much effort. I destroyed the clutch on my bike near Helsingborg so spent a few days there waiting for parts before doing the return trip via the ferry to Helsinger, down through Denmark, ferry from Gedser to Rostock and home.

Back
Top Bottom