Oldrat's Guzzi cafe jobbie

Oldrat

So much better now Engineer is on ignore
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Three years since I first was smitten by that Davida girl poster and her Guzzi, I'm almost on the road with my own tribute bike.

It's a T3 base, with bigger carbs and cylinders, twin plugged Ram Clutch and lighter flywheel etc etc..and it has not wanted for anything, every nut and bolt has been renewed or refurbished. (I also have a slightly tired Mk 2 Le Mans Coburn and Hughes Black and Gold, which I'll restore to original spec , although after the conversations on here about patina and old R100s I'll think long and hard about it.)

According to Nigel at NBS and those in the know, this T3 set up won't quite have the top speed as if I'd used the Lemon as a base, but as I don't intend racing it, it should be far stronger at road speeds and as a result much more useable. Anyway..

This was the bike that I bought from Nice and Fat of this parish. It had great paintwork but was in need of lots of TLC.

850T31-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And this is where I've been able to get to (forgive the leery blue fork tops, black anodised ones will be fitted when it goes of to have new rear suspension fitted :D) I was aiming for something that looked classic from across the road, but the nearer you get the more you would notice trick differences. It has lots of little quirks, like Ducati 916 brakes, Brembo RCS racing front brake lever and master cylinder, but as the clutch was cable not fluid operated, I ordered a special RCS Clutch side cable control to match the brake one. They are a stock item now.
With Suzuki GSXR fork internals squeezed into the original Guzzi forks, Ohlins on order for the back end, a hidden Hayter lawnmower speed control lever :eek: operates the seat release mechanism. You'll have to guess where I used the coat hanger :eek:
I have shortened the frame rails and kicked up the ends to follow the seat line. I've hidden the rear LED indicators in the tube ends whilst the front indicators are German bar end style 'ox eyes'

image.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_3.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

The electrics are all Motogadget, save the Silent Hetik ignition system. It has keyless start with a RF sensor hidden on it. The bike is going off to have a bespoke loom fitted later this week, because I'm a numpty with all that stuff..

image_2.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I wasn't sure about how my idea of what to do with the speedo would actually turn out, but it's ok. Chris (TunnerUK) of this parish did an absolutely wonderful job on the paintwork including a special personal touch on the side panels, just for me. ;) The logo is so subtle that even looking straight at it you would be hard pressed to see it until it was pointed out. I absolutely love it! As I said, this was a very personal build. Thank you Chris, just what I wanted. I even had the silver Tommaselli clip on knuckles painted because I didn't like the rough cast joints showing, they had to be smoothed right back. Complete engine, gearbox and bevel overhaul by Nigel at NBS, Stafford. Top man. Rear sets by Simon Barley of Barleycorn engineering, and an MV Augusta bit thrown in to boot. Rear number-plate bracket by Harris engineering.
Most of the bits that I designed and had machined up have been anodised black to try to tone the 'bling' aspect down, front rotor mounts, Calliper adaptors, rear set and exhaust mounts, rear caliper hanger and steady etc.. The beautiful tank was made by by John Williams, of The Tank shop Scotland (40 week waiting list), Exhausts are bespoke by OSPIPES Stafford. Anyway.. I hope you like it, I do I love it.

Pictures speak louder than words.

image_4.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_2.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I know you're not finished, but the indicator wires look a bit naff coming out of the inner bar ends,

You probably have plans already with some custom caps, but I do have some plastic caps if you want a couple, like these,

Thanks Ian, the Tommaselli ones are pretty dire, just cheap thin plastic, and I've misplaced them. Your picture reminded me that I ordered some off of Fleabay which haven't arrived, so I shouldn't need to take up your offer. I like your idea of the wires exiting under the bars, a nice touch. Hmm, I need to add a ram ball, but not until I need to, so I might make use of the spare holes in the top yoke??

Let me know if you need anything, I have some rear lights and bits I bought but didn't use. :thumb2

Where did you get the tank and does it fit straight onto the tonti frame?

I really admire people like you oldrat, who have the skills and patience to do a proper job of something. Sadly I lack in both . Tob job as said , looks great :cool:

Oldrat,

Where did you source the exhaust header clamps? Are they the original cast iron/chromed ones or spangly polished ally ones? Need some for my 1100spt whose clamps let it down somewhat.

There's dribble on my desk. can't imagine what caused it!

Fluff.

Wow
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm pretty taken aback by how its been received.
The bike has been under wraps during the build and as I have said, it's a very personal bike to me, so whilst I don't need anyones approval, no one had seen it until recently and so your reactions have been incredibly humbling.

:thumb

@ Fluffy
Exhausts and clamps are brilliantly handbuilt in the UK by Roy at
OS Stainless Pipes
Ingestre Garage
Trent Drive
Ingestre, Stafford
Staffordshire
ST 18 0RE
(07891 267039)

Back
Top Bottom