I'm back, for a while. I live in Istanbul so if anyone has any questions.....

ExpatinIstanbul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
....about getting blown up, ripped off or how not to die on the roads......

....about getting blown up, ripped off or how not to die on the roads......

Ahh, I remember you well.. you were quite active here when I first started visiting and I remember reading your diatribes on the Turkish building "profession" that you were experiencing. Had me in bloody stitches. Welcome back.

Forgive what is probably a naïve question, but is there any recourse for damage and injuries caused by a non-insured driver in Turkey?

Forgive what is probably a naïve question, but is there any recourse for damage and injuries caused by a non-insured driver in Turkey?

Yes, but good luck. Every driver must by law buy a common insurance policy which should cover third party damage. I've never heard of anyone claiming against it though. You might want to contact the Turing Club (link below) as they'll know the procedure. Bear in mind that in Turkey anyone working in the bureaucracy only knows 90% of their job, the other 10% is known by someone with a completely unrelated job. I don't know why this is, but it seems to be traditional.

Whether a driver has this insurance is another matter, by law they must, but then by law they shouldn't drive the way they do. But they do.

http://www.turing.org.tr

Or for Social Media
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Touring-and-Automobile-Club-of-Turkey/103451659709948

:jes :jes :jes

Sorry.................... :D

Oh, welcome back Expat, are you back for good?

Andres

Probably. I'm still bikeless, and kind of drifted away from any interest in them, but my kids can now feed themselves, wipe their own arses and put their clothes on the right way round so I now have time to look at pictures of GSes. I'm thinking of buying a new GSA, but here in the land of tax-upon-tax they cost close to £24,000 and I'm in two minds as to whether it's really worth it. One mind, mine, says yes, the second mind, the wife's, says no. Hey ho.

Cheers, when I have time I might regale you of some facts about dealing with government ministries. They are fun.

........................ I'm thinking of buying a new GSA, but here in the land of tax-upon-tax they cost close to £24,000 and I'm in two minds as to whether it's really worth it. One mind, mine, says yes, the second mind, the wife's, says no. Hey ho.

How much! :yikes

Regarding your 'domestic' situation, maybe you should take a leaf out of our very own Twizzle's book? :D LINKY

Andres

How much! :yikes

Regarding your 'domestic' situation, maybe you should take a leaf out of our very own Twizzle's book? :D LINKY

Andres

Then I would end up with a Goldwing, which although cheaper than a GSA, would involve helmet-to-helmet advice on riding style, choice of music and directions.

It's only possible to keep a foreign registered vehicle in Turkey for 6 months, then it has to be taken out for 6 months before it can be brought back again. This prevents people from importing vehicles and avoiding the enormous taxes they throw at them. Bikes over 250cc also have a luxury tax added to the standard taxes, which makes them more expensive than many cars.

Back
Top Bottom