Hotel in Ullapool

Another vote for The Sheiling - we stayed there last year. They have a drying room for your bike gear in the unlikely event it rains :D

We are overnighting in Ullapool on the 17th May. We are booked into the Caledonian Hotel, no idea what it is like, we just stuck a pin in! If it is really awful maybe someone will tell me and we might be able to re book elsewhere.

It's just one night and I expect we might eat elsewhere so as long as the cockroach count isn't too high I think we will be fine.

John

Caledonian gets mixed reviews. One of the older established hotels in the village now catering for the "coach firm" tours. Not top notch but probably OK for a night or two.

It's old and a bit worn down but all right for all that. Decent staff and a good breakfast. I suppose you have to factor in you what you actually want and expect. It does fine for me and mine.

Caledonian gets mixed reviews. One of the older established hotels in the village now catering for the "coach firm" tours. Not top notch but probably OK for a night or two.

We will fit right in with the coffin dodgers on coach tours

John

Totally off topic ,,,,but this is wot it looked like out of my camper door yesterday morning

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 384
Arch inn is good, and it's nice to sit by the edge of the loch in the late afternoon/evening - but they can charge like a wounded buffalo. The Royal is good accommodation, recently refurbished - and is a lot cheaper.

Ladysmith guest house gets good reviews.

You have to try the fish and chips at Seaforth on they quay - the best I have ever had, consistently.

Al

Stayed at the Ladysmith - highly recommended. Not many places offer smoked salmon with scrambled eggs for breckie.

Not recommending the Seaforth any more, for their fish and chips. It has changed ownership (Punch taverns??) and they are now gouging the tourists. Fish and chips small now, and no mushy peas.

Al

Stayed at the Ladysmith - highly recommended. Not many places offer smoked salmon with scrambled eggs for breckie.

Not recommending the Seaforth any more, for their fish and chips. It has changed ownership (Punch taverns??) and they are now gouging the tourists. Fish and chips small now, and no mushy peas.

Al

Inlaws were up last week and had similar complaints about the Seaforth

We are overnighting in Ullapool on the 17th May. We are booked into the Caledonian Hotel, no idea what it is like, we just stuck a pin in! If it is really awful maybe someone will tell me and we might be able to re book elsewhere.

It's just one night and I expect we might eat elsewhere so as long as the cockroach count isn't too high I think we will be fine.

John

You might find yourself sharing the hotel with bus loads of the 'blue rinse' brigade, I'd try something else, Harbour Lights is good, Arch too.

M

Al

Good comment about the Seaforth, robbery with out violence, use the fish & chip shop around the corner next to the butchers' for best F&C in Ullapool, during the day go to the Seafood Shack next to the mountain shop, its really superb.

M

Good comment about the Seaforth, robbery with out violence, use the fish & chip shop around the corner next to the butchers' for best F&C in Ullapool, during the day go to the Seafood Shack next to the mountain shop, its really superb.

M

a good recommendation, thanks.

Caleigh Place for food, or Arch Inn too. Gone off the Arch Inn for accommodation - they tend to be a bit on the expensive side. Royal Hotel can sometimes do some good deals, with freshly-overhauled rooms. Use as B&B only, as restaurant and bar are not overly-inviting.

John

Never stayed there but did have one of the best ever T bone steaks I've eaten in the restaurant.

M

Definitely chippy around the corner for take away, just don't ask if the fish is caught locally, my mate nearly got himself thrown out for that one.

a good recommendation, thanks.

Caleigh Place for food, or Arch Inn too. Gone off the Arch Inn for accommodation - they tend to be a bit on the expensive side. Royal Hotel can sometimes do some good deals, with freshly-overhauled rooms. Use as B&B only, as restaurant and bar are not overly-inviting.

We've always used the Ceilidh Place bunkhouse for accomodation. Like most bunkhouses it's basic with shower rooms downstairs but it's clean and warm. Used the restaurant our first year for dinner and breakfast but found it overpriced even though it was good quality.

Ate in the Arch last year and it was very good but they wouldn't take a booking this year even though there are 14 of us, just said turn up and we'll try and fit you in. One of our party asked about accommodation and it was just over 4 times what we paid at the bunkhouse.

The Seaforth has always been good up until the recent comments over the past few months.

There is a new burger van opened up in the car park at the Corrieshalloch Gorge, is about 12 mile south of Ullapool but it opens early and 7 days a week. Not used it yet so no idea how good it is.

Just back from 4 day trip out of Ullapool, following the recommendations here I also stayed at the Ladysmith Guest house. Great place to stay and in the centre of town. They've got a good paved area outside the main door where you can park your bike off-street, although not out of site.

Glad you enjoyed it. Don't forget that it is Ullapool we are talking about, not Marseille - bike damage/theft is not really an issue.

Looks like you got the best weather too! Any photos?

Al

Back
Top Bottom