Automatic payment of French Autoroute Tolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is there more than one electronic tag system for the auto payment of Autoroute Tolls?

I have details of the Sanef Liber-t electronic tag, that I can get free of charge through my Caravan Club membership (saving euro10 + VAT). But I seem to remember one called something like "Telepeage".

Are they one in the same thing? If not, what is the recommened system/card/tag?

(Have tried the search facility but not come up with the info I thought that I had read here in years gone by)

I used a Sanef Liber-t tag last year and it worked flawlessly. I kept it in the sleeve pocket on my jacket and the system recognised me as being on a bike each time, review of the subsequent statements confirmed I was always charged the correct amount. It saves a lot of faffing around with tickets and cash/cards at the peage.

I have the Sanef dongle for the car and had no issues, I might get it changed to the bike, if that's an option.

I think "Telepeage" is a generic term (like sellotape or Hoover). SANEF is one of several companies that run an maintain the French autoroute system (and the Dartford Crossing). All "tags" work on all autoroutes, a bit like mobile phone roaming. SANEF is the only one that I know of that has an English branch that allows you to apply in The UK and pay from your UK Bank Account.

Had a SANEF tag for years. Second only to the wheel as mankind so greatest invention :thumb

I had the second greatest invention down as perforated bum wad.

As to the rest, Chas Mill has it right.

I think "Telepeage" is a generic term (like sellotape or Hoover). SANEF is one of several companies that run an maintain the French autoroute system (and the Dartford Crossing). All "tags" work on all autoroutes, a bit like mobile phone roaming. SANEF is the only one that I know of that has an English branch that allows you to apply in The UK and pay from your UK Bank Account.

Had a SANEF tag for years. Second only to the wheel as mankind so greatest invention :thumb
I pay for mine (SANEF) with a UK credit card without problems. They seem better disposed towards UK customers than others.

I did have a small problem where they debited my bank account for €12,630 instead of €12.63 (comma/decimal point confusion), but is was eventually resolved with some hassle.

Just ordered mine online. No charge for the tag when using the le-shuttle booking reference number

The Vinci tag seems good as, unlike the Sanef one, you seem to not be charged any monthly charge if you do not use it. The Sanef tag seems to have a higher monthly charge

Both tags seem to require fixing to the inside of the windscreen. How do you go about swapping between a m'bike and a car? Or is it not actually stuck to the inside of the windscreen, but merely clipped there?

The Sanef website suggests that if on a m'bike you have to actually use the manned tollboth lanes and hand over the tag at the booth. Seems to defeat the object a bit, although it is easier than having to get money out etc

The Vinci tag seems good as, unlike the Sanef one, you seem to not be charged any monthly charge if you do not use it. The Sanef tag seems to have a higher monthly charge

Both tags seem to require fixing to the inside of the windscreen. How do you go about swapping between a m'bike and a car? Or is it not actually stuck to the inside of the windscreen, but merely clipped there?

The Sanef website suggests that if on a m'bike you have to actually use the manned tollboth lanes and hand over the tag at the booth. Seems to defeat the object a bit, although it is easier than having to get money out etc
The mount is stuck to the windscreen; the tag unclips from the mount.

I've just bought the Sanef one, through my Eurotunnel booking ref. discount, so I sincerely hope I can use the "T" booth and not the money queue one - that would defeat the system of having gone to the length of buying one in the first instance! Assuming it'll work through my jacket pocket, that is.Bloody French! I wonder if can get an Italian one cheap too????

You don't pay a monthly charge for the SANEF one if you don't use it during the month.
As long as its in the vehicle and generally near the detector, it'll be fine.
If yoiu use the 'T' or '30' lane on a bike, I think you get charged the car rate, not the bike rate.

I used a Sanef Liber-t tag last year and it worked flawlessly. I kept it in the sleeve pocket on my jacket and the system recognised me as being on a bike each time, review of the subsequent statements confirmed I was always charged the correct amount. It saves a lot of faffing around with tickets and cash/cards at the peage.

Just ordered one as many trips planned this year and the occasional bit of péage is inevitable to make progress.

But the website definitely says you need to hand over tag to get charged bike rate . If it's in your sleeve pocket, how does it know your on a bike as opposed to it being stuck on a car windscreen ? Is it that clever ?

Just ordered one as many trips planned this year and the occasional bit of péage is inevitable to make progress.

But the website definitely says you need to hand over tag to get charged bike rate . If it's in your sleeve pocket, how does it know your on a bike as opposed to it being stuck on a car windscreen ? Is it that clever ?

I used lanes with a 'T' plus a green arrow. The system is clever and determines if you are on a bike. Not sure if it does this by weight or dimensions or whatever :nenau. First time I tried it I held the tag in my hand and waved it around like an idiot till it worked. Then realised if I kept it in a waterproof bag in the sleeve pocket it worked fine.

I used lanes with a 'T' plus a green arrow. The system is clever and determines if you are on a bike. Not sure if it does this by weight or dimensions or whatever :nenau. First time I tried it I held the tag in my hand and waved it around like an idiot till it worked. Then realised if I kept it in a waterproof bag in the sleeve pocket it worked fine.

Excellent. Ta

Yes.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom