Morocco Today!

Hi

I do not think you will get a ferry back from Spain to the UK as Brittany Ferries have a major problem with many cancellations.

Derek

Derek, I got my Mrs on the case, not much she cannot get sorted. I'm now on the ferry this Thursday:)

We left Essaouira, in heavy rain and strong sidewinds, heading for a place I had booked in El-Jadida, it was supposed to be a nice place, on the coast, a Portuguese walled town, UNESCO site and all that, and it is the start of the motorway to Tanger.

Getting onto the N1 road from Essaouira, we hadn't got far when we came across heavy traffic and then what appeared to be a total road block, I thought it was an accident, Graham was in front and, as he went past a Spanish plate VW Beetle ahead, it moved out and nearly had him off, as I went past I gave him/her plenty of room, but even so, it did the same as I went past and I felt part of it hit the rear of my bike a glancing blow, I didn't stop, thinking serves you right if you have scratched anything, overtaking a line of stationary cars, Graham stopped and I carried on, taking to the dirt on the side of the road until I came to the head of the line, at which stood a traffic cop, I stopped and gave him a 'bonjour, sava" and held out my hand to shake his, which he did. Seeing that there was a track/piste at the side of the road I pointed and said, in my worst french, 'can we go down there' he said "non"

We then had a bit more conversation about the rain (it was still pouring) where we were from/going and he eventually said okay, you can go, but don't go past any other cars, of course we totally ignored him, and with a mix of riding off/on road we passed all of the stationary collection of cars/bus's, carts etc, until we came into a town, where there was a market or some sort of fair on, it was total chaos, despite the large number of cops around, I'm sure if we hadn't been on bikes it would have taken hours to get through the town.

Onward we go, no letup in the rain/wind, roads that were like rivers at times, brown with mud, we did not stop until we got to El-Jadida and after a hot shower went out for some food and see the sights, but not for long, what a dump that place is. Neither of us wanted to eat out and risk a stomach problem, with the miles we needed to cover to get home, so we went into a supermarket and bought a feast of bread, goats cheese, olives, tomatoes, milk and cereal for breakfast, fruit juice and took it back to our accommodation.

Next morning, we had 300 miles to cover to get to Tangier Med, for the ferry over to Spain, just for a change, it was raining and windy, we aimed to get the 4pm ferry and only stopped for fuel, not even a coffee. We got there in time to get the 2pm ferry, though it didn't leave until 3.

By 5pm we were in the hotel: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/ho...D;sid=51ae752fc8868926c0407939bb6b4878;dcid=2

and civilisation. That night we were out for tapas, beer & wine:)

Next morning (yesterday) on the road again, after booking this:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/ap...D;sid=51ae752fc8868926c0407939bb6b4878;dcid=5

We rode along the coast to Estepona, then inland to Ronda, on the A377 then the A405, great roads in the mountains. After stopping in Ronda for breakfast the rain started again and after Seville it poured, just like riding in a river at times, to say we were wet is an understatement, I had my heated grips and heated jacket on full blast, all the way to Merida and our booked accommodation.

The apartment was a real treat, accommodation for 6 persons, on 3 floors, the bikes locked away in an incomplete shop at ground level.

Graham went out shopping for food and beer/wine (in the rain) and then cooked a great spag- bol. What a treat, I was so full I couldn't move!

Tonight finds us here:
https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/sa...D;sid=51ae752fc8868926c0407939bb6b4878;dcid=5

Its a bit posh, but cheap enough and the bikes are outside the door on the pavement ready for an early start to Santander port in the morning. But for now we are off out for tapas:)

UPDATE: we were going out.....I don't know how I can be so unlucky....

Walked out of the hotel, to go for a tapas and beer evening at 6.30pm,

Naturally looked at the bikes parked outside and what do I see.... a flat back tyre, again, no! not again and just when we need to be away early in the morning to get to Santander and the ferry, four hours away.

So, speak to the guy on the desk, who has a Vespa scooter, there is a bike dealer about half a mile away,

We pump some air into the tyre and then I rode it, standing up, with my weight forward over the front wheel, to keep the weight off the back, the bike was all over the place, with Graham following on his bike close behind, we get to the dealer, who deals with Honda & KTM. I tell them I need to get a ferry early in the morning and can they do it now, or I will have to try somewhere else.

No problemlo, we will do it now and put a new tube in for you.

The KTM 1050 in the showroom looks tempting, no spoked wheels and tubeless tyres, perhaps I could PX?

Fixed in about half an hour and €36.40, a bargain! They even lubed the chain for me.

Visited 3 tapas bars, Salamanca is a lovely city, must visit again

Easy start tomorrow, don't want to miss that ferry.
© 2016 Microsoft Terms Privacy & cookies Developers English (United Kingdom)

Just to finish this off, got back home yesterday, after a non-eventful journey from Salamanca to Santander and calm crossing across to Portsmouth.

In summary, great trip, yes I would do it again, would I have done anything differently? Not really, a bigger bike would have been better on the ride across Spain, but would have been a liability on the pistes/off road, so I still think the F650GS Dakar was good for the job (on the ferry back were 3 guys on LC GSA's who had also been to Morocco, all 3 had been dropped) I took tools/spares I didn't need, but then, if I hadn't taken them I might have. I took spare fuel I didn't need, there are plenty of places to get petrol in Morocco The only thing I really wished I had taken was a portable hard drive, as I ran out of storage space for my video on my MacAir.
Incidentally, if anyone is interested, the Dakar I used on this trip is going up for sale, I have too many bikes, including another Dakar. Thanks for reading this. john

Thank you for posting Gadget ive really enjoyed your trip report and looked forward to your daily posts.

Thank you for posting Gadget ive really enjoyed your trip report and looked forward to your daily posts.

Thanks:) You may remember, we have met before, I bought a screen off you for my twin cam GS (long sold) and you kindly fitted it for me.

Enjoyed the write-up, Gadget.. :thumb

Really must make it to Morocco soon..

Back
Top Bottom