The plan for our Morocco trip

restandplay

Reaction score
Hi

We were all set to kick off this coming Sunday but have had to delay the start until the 22nd May because our pet dog is terminally ill and we need to make sure his last few days are as best as we can provide.

However this is our plan. Do others that have done such think the miles and hours riding are doable?
Morocco Itinerary
22nd May North Dorset to Plymouth Leave 11.30am. 107 miles 2 Hours.
Ferry departs 15.45 hours
23rd May Arrive Santander 12.15 hours. Santander to Ontigola 4.46 hours 321 miles.
24th May Ontigola to Motril 6.9 hours 383 miles. Ferry to Melilla departs 14.30 hours (ferry journey time 4.5 hours).
25th May Melilla to Fes (Crossing the border into Morocco) 6.54 hours 231 miles
26th May Fes to Erfoud 6.33 hours 265 miles
27th May Erfoud to Zguid 6.31 hours 276 miles
28th May Zquid to Tiznit 8.12 hours 286 miles
29th May Tiznit to Marrakesh 8.23 hours 280 miles
30th May Marrakesh to Beni-Mellal Via Atlas mountains 7.38 hours 234 miles
31st May Beni-Melllal to Chefchaouen 7.30hours 241 miles
1st June Chefchaouen to Azrou 7.10 hours 202 miles
2nd June Azrou to Oujda 6.58 hours 285 miles
3rd June Oujda to Melilla (Border crossing etc) to catch ferry departs 15.00hours. 2.50hours 100 miles.
4th June Motril to Puertollano 4.40 hours 204 miles (Later start)
5th June Puertollano to Valladolid 6.47 hours 295 miles
6th June Valladolid to Santander 2.41 hours 156 miles Ferry Departs 15.15 hours
7th June Arrive Portsmouth 14.15 hours the then back to North Dorset 1.45 hours 78 miles
Total Miles 3944

Derek

The crossing from the bit of Spain that's actually in Africa into the rest of 'the interior' can be fraught and time consuming.

They reckon you need to allow a couple of hours for entry into Africa, there is also a hi speed ferry same price

Grt the beers in i will be on that very same ferry.:beer: the santander one that is.

Hi

Most certainly will. There are just two of us myself 73 years young and my ridding friend who is much younger at 39 years of age. He rides a 1200gs (A very smart bit of kit) and I ride a F800 gs. Derek and Ben hopefully we will met up.

chances are we will, i will keep my eyes peeled. look out for a hairy bloke with a rather small person, thats my lady. lee and tan.

first stop the picos for 4 nights and then who knows we have no plans beyond that, we will just mooch around spain and portugal and possibly come back via france italy germany and belgium, we have to be back around the 1st of july.

Hi

I normally ride in leather trousers and a part leather textile jacket do you think this is going to be too hot for late May?

Derek

well its all gone pete tongue ferry is canceled its got a broken propellor shaft, typical.

well its all gone pete tongue ferry is canceled its got a broken propellor shaft, typical.

Ride. 650 miles, one days riding through france to Bayonne. Next day up early and 870 miles, ones days ride to Algerciras.

Done it a few times on the Morrocan dashes i used to "organise"*.

*Organise as in " set a date and simply turn up and ride if you want to come along". :D

That flatters the word 'Organise'.

Great trips, paricularly no.1

Thanks for 'organising'.

Ride. 650 miles, one days riding through france to Bayonne. Next day up early and 870 miles, ones days ride to Algerciras.

Done it a few times on the Morrocan dashes i used to "organise"*.

*Organise as in " set a date and simply turn up and ride if you want to come along". :D

with the best will in the world i dont think i could get from derby to the picos from sunday mornig 10.30 to the picos by monday evening, riding solo would be an ask let alone with my lady onboard, 1200 miles all major routes not my idea of fun, and yes i have done 1000 miles in 24 hrs, but would not atempt it with the big gal onboard but thanks for the suggestion.

Hi

Yes the ferry is cancelled but we are now going from Portsmouth to Caen and riding through France which is adding about 550 miles to our trip. Brittany Ferries have paid me for the fuel £205 for two bikes. It is a shame but Brittany Ferries have, in my view, been as helpful as they could be. We are now leaving Saturday night on the 10.45pm sailing which arrives in France at 6.45am on the 22nd. This enables us to make up the time so we will still be at our first hotel stop in Spain at the same time as originally planned. We basically have an extra 1.5 days to cover 550 miles which is more than doable.

Derek

well after being massively disappointed about the cancelled ferry, i have now got somthing resembling a plan B, Ferry from portsmouth to caen sunday night arrive 6.45 am monday and then down to the lott region for a few days and will decide where to go from there,

Hi

Are Brittany Ferries paying you for the fuel? They gave me £205 for two bikes to cover the fuel.

Derek

After a lot of arguing that i thought was not necassary, and the having to ask to be put through to a supervisor, i eventually got a result that was acceptable, the cost for the sailing to Caen should have been £196.00 but with the fuel allowance deducted it came to £22.00 i also have a £78.00 credit that i can use on any of their sailings, this is valid for 2 years,and also a full refund for the santander sailing. It does not compensate for the dissapointment we had after getting the news of the cancelation, or for the hassle of altering the whole of the trip, not to mention the ongoing saga with the holiday insurance company, but as i said, i am happy with the outcome from Brittany.

You have a great trip all the best.

Back
Top Bottom