elefantentreffen

Would love to do it, but the cold & busted bodies are not good bed fellows...

2017 Elefantentreffen Rally

I will be leaving on the night boat (22/01/17) to H.v.H. on Sunday heading for Nijmegan, NL for a business meeting. From there, on wards to the rally. Hope to arrive early on Wednesday afternoon possibly Thursday morning pending weather etc.
If anyone else is heading there then PM me and we could meet up for a few beers.

I will be on my little CRF250L .... The GS is staying in the garage locked away for this trip.:beerjug:

I will be leaving on the night boat (22/01/17) to H.v.H. on Sunday heading for Nijmegan, NL for a business meeting. From there, on wards to the rally. Hope to arrive early on Wednesday afternoon possibly Thursday morning pending weather etc.
If anyone else is heading there then PM me and we could meet up for a few beers.

I will be on my little CRF250L .... The GS is staying in the garage locked away for this trip.:beerjug:
But how much beer can you carry on the CRF? Very little :D you should've taken the GS with panniers et al. :thumb have fun! :thumb

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a bee in my bonnet about the Elephant Rally ever since I was a teenager. I am Tempted to jump in the Varadero and blast through the UK to the chunnel.
Have you made any accomodation plans?

I'm jealous because I've been 5 times now and whenever it gets to this time of the year I think I should go.

Get there Wednesday if you can because by Thursday mid morning you'll be looking at putting your tent on a slope and your first priority should be to buy a bale of straw to put under your tent because it'll keep you warmer than any insulated sleeping mattress.

Another tip that might seem really stupid is to take a small travel umbrella. If it rains you'll realise it makes the difference between being very wet and miserable and walking past other people and laughing at their misfortune.

I'm jealous because I've been 5 times now and whenever it gets to this time of the year I think I should go.

Get there Wednesday if you can because by Thursday mid morning you'll be looking at putting your tent on a slope and your first priority should be to buy a bale of straw to put under your tent because it'll keep you warmer than any insulated sleeping mattress.

Another tip that might seem really stupid is to take a small travel umbrella. If it rains you'll realise it makes the difference between being very wet and miserable and walking past other people and laughing at their misfortune.

Never mind the brolly, did you see snow? I think the camping is at the bottom of a valley and getting out in the snow is a problem

I've never taken a bike into the camping area and I never will, I've seen too many bikes being dragged out by tractors to wreck something I need to ride 1,400 miles home on.

We've always parked as near to the imbis at the top entrance as we can then walk down to the main entrance, walk back up with a bale of straw and then pitch our tents in the field below the imbis. It makes it easy to walk down the road to buy firewood, easy to buy food and alcohol from the imbis and it's only 10 minutes walk down to the amphitheatre at the bottom. We always stopped at the same spot and met up with a group of guys from Frankfurt then shared a fire with them.

We'd get through at least €200 worth of firewood at €10 bundle and had some great laughs launching Chinese lanterns which the Germans would allow 30 seconds of free flight before launching rockets at them with a couple of cases of beer being the prize on offer for the winner depending on if we got more away than they shot down.

Snow is good, ice is good, rain turns it into a swamp that leaves you simply wanting to go home to escape from the misery and you've not lived until you've been sitting in the portaloo trying to ignore the smell only to realise that someone has piled a load of straw around the door and set fire to it :yikes

I watched some YouTube vids of the campsite today, looks like hell and not something that someone with their freedom would want to do, still each to their own. Not one I'll be using a pass up on.

I've never taken a bike into the camping area and I never will, I've seen too many bikes being dragged out by tractors to wreck something I need to ride 1,400 miles home on.

We've always parked as near to the imbis at the top entrance as we can then walk down to the main entrance, walk back up with a bale of straw and then pitch our tents in the field below the imbis. It makes it easy to walk down the road to buy firewood, easy to buy food and alcohol from the imbis and it's only 10 minutes walk down to the amphitheatre at the bottom. We always stopped at the same spot and met up with a group of guys from Frankfurt then shared a fire with them.

We'd get through at least €200 worth of firewood at €10 bundle and had some great laughs launching Chinese lanterns which the Germans would allow 30 seconds of free flight before launching rockets at them with a couple of cases of beer being the prize on offer for the winner depending on if we got more away than they shot down.

Snow is good, ice is good, rain turns it into a swamp that leaves you simply wanting to go home to escape from the misery and you've not lived until you've been sitting in the portaloo trying to ignore the smell only to realise that someone has piled a load of straw around the door and set fire to it :yikes

Thanks Andy, I hate porta loos, I would rather ride 20km to civilisation before using one. I think a hotel in Hilpoltstein would be more civilised.

Ele Rally 2017

I have a bee in my bonnet about the Elephant Rally ever since I was a teenager. I am Tempted to jump in the Varadero and blast through the UK to the chunnel.
Have you made any accomodation plans?

Yes, one night close to Koblenz and one night in Regansburg East. However, that can all change pending weather etc. Looking at the weather this week it has been a tad chilly - 10c, - 15 degc

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom