Montenegro accommodation & insurance questions...

ecker32

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks.

A friend and I are planning a little jaunt in July down through Croatia and Bosnia into Montenegro, then taking the ferry from Albania across to Bari and riding home through Italy & France. I quite fancy stopping for a couple of nights somewhere in Montenegro, dumping the panniers and having a day out without being fully loaded. Most of the trip will be camping, but I would be interested if anyone has any hotel / B&B recommendations.

Also, I have read the post regarding insurance in some countries which are not covered by my own policy. Has anyone any more recent experience as to how to purchase and the likely cost for a couple of days?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

That's pretty much the same route as I have planned for late August but I haven't really looked into any of the technicalities yet!
I was in Croatia last year and my Carol Nash insurance covered me but I'm going to get a Green Card from them this time and I'm sure that they cover Bosnia & Montenegro but probably not Albania (buy at the border).
Same goes for breakdown cover, in the countries not covered you have to be prepared to do your own thing or at least be able to pay/bribe someone with a pickup to take your bike to the nearest border where you are covered, you can then push your bike back over and proceed to call for help (if it's a major problem that is) :rolleyes:

I'm also going to be camping whenever possible but there should be numerous other options available and 'The Lonely Planet' guide might be worth a look, also worth getting the ACSI 'Great Little Campsites' app on your phone as it covers all Europe and is pretty useful.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I've been as far as Croatia before, but I've got a few days extra this time to be able to get as far as Montenegro. I think you're right with insurance on the border - at least that's what I've read on the HU website. I must admit I hadn't thought about breakdown cover - so thanks for the heads up, I'll look into that one!!
We are camping most of the time, and from Google searches there seems to be plenty of options. I just think by the time we get to Montenegro we may be ready for a B&B for a couple of nights!

We are going in July, so I'll let you know how we get on - especially any pitfalls which we didn't think of or expect.

Cheers,

Dave.

One of the best campsites we have stopped on is on Kotar bay Montenegro, no mossies, small beach, English spoken, nearby bar and restaurant, nothing to dislike at all, pitch your tent, leave the panniers and have a brilliant day going around the bay.
http://www.campnaluka.com
Most insurers won't cover you outside the E U, some will, third party cover can be bought at borders for a reasonable sum (approximately 15 €) for Montenegro (iirc)
Great part of the world, try not to miss it.
Have fun John.

Hi Dave,
My wife and I were in Montengro last summer - beautiful country:thumb2

We were not asked for a green card - so had no insurance while in Montenegro. We also had no insurance while in Bosnia - they at least asked for a green card and when I said I didn't have one they checked the vehicle docs - then sent us on our way!
My bike insurance is with BMW- I phoned them prior to the trip and asked for a quote to issue a green card to include Bosnia and Montenegro - but they refused:mad:

Never had breakdown insurance anywhere abroad - but I'm on an 1150GS:rolleyes:

The inland mountain regions are rugged, remote and sparsely populated - and plenty of stunning scenery and roads.
The Gulf of Kotor, on the other hand, is much like any of the Dalmation Coast of Croatia and a fairly busy economy with tourism.

The two places we stayed in Montenegro are linked below.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/me/villa-peaks.en-gb.html

https://www.booking.com/hotel/me/old-mariner.en-gb.html

Both very different but were excellent and would recommend them.

Cheers........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Hi Dave,
My wife and I were in Montengro last summer - beautiful country:thumb2

We were not asked for a green card - so had no insurance while in Montenegro. We also had no insurance while in Bosnia - they at least asked for a green card and when I said I didn't have one they checked the vehicle docs - then sent us on our way!
My bike insurance is with BMW- I phoned them prior to the trip and asked for a quote to issue a green card to include Bosnia and Montenegro - but they refused:mad:

Never had breakdown insurance anywhere abroad - but I'm on an 1150GS:rolleyes:

The inland mountain regions are rugged, remote and sparsely populated - and plenty of stunning scenery and roads.
The Gulf of Kotor, on the other hand, is much like any of the Dalmation Coast of Croatia and a fairly busy economy with tourism.

The two places we stayed in Montenegro are linked below.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/me/villa-peaks.en-gb.html

https://www.booking.com/hotel/me/old-mariner.en-gb.html

Both very different but were excellent and would recommend them.

Cheers........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Luv it!!

Any bit in particular you "Luv" Gerard - more info required:thumb.......................Grizzly:beerjug:

The thought of you..and wife....going to all the places you get to.....with no insurance! I admire your 'just go do it' attitude!

Thanks for all of your replies. I am aware of buying insurance at the border in Montenegro and possibly other places - I don't think I'm brave enough to take the 'no insurance' option Grizzly!!

Camping near Kotor could well be an option, but I think we might fancy a proper bed for a couple of nights by the time we get there. I'll research the Booking.com links.

I'll also post some pics when I get back :)

Thanks again, Dave.

Back
Top Bottom