Motorcycle Rental in Calgary

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bit of a long shot but has anybody rented a bike in Calgary ?
I'm toying with jumping on a flight next month and heading off into the national parks for a few days.So far I've only found this place,though a Multistrada would do,though I quite fancy an Indian Chieftain or similar to just potter and take in the views.

Ta for any info

Sent from my iPad using Twattybollox

Ta. Actually found that Kane's HD place just after I posted . It might do as they are open on a Monday which is the day I round need to kick off .

Sent from my iPhone using Tosserbollockery

Just been to Kane's.Nice people but never seen so much shit in one place !!!

dec25ea0cfc774ce9548645ec82c3535.jpg
dbb73b53ee3b695aef967175f648e086.jpg
6a11dd1896e5d36ffddde843983341a7.jpg
426d95f258699bc88f5979ae8b7455b5.jpg
bfd662ee7eda684f4d4f0f1ac301f790.jpg

Negotiated a discount on a rental next month.

Does anybody (Bilco perhaps) know of a good map series and where to buy one for Alberta and British Columbia ? I've done a Google search and looked on Amazon but most seem be out of print or poor reviews.

If I do this trip I'll rent and Ultra Glide with built in twat nav,but a map would be useful.
Do any of you metrosexual HD types know if the built in nav on the new HDs let you build a route or can you just go A to B ?
I asked the salesman but he didn't know

Great trip coming up by the sounds of it ,I've only one tip though if you see smoke on the horizon and a lot of cars coming in the other direction just keep going :thumb2

Just been to Kane's.Nice people but never seen so much shit in one place !!!

dec25ea0cfc774ce9548645ec82c3535.jpg
dbb73b53ee3b695aef967175f648e086.jpg
6a11dd1896e5d36ffddde843983341a7.jpg
426d95f258699bc88f5979ae8b7455b5.jpg
bfd662ee7eda684f4d4f0f1ac301f790.jpg

Negotiated a discount on a rental next month.

Does anybody (Bilco perhaps) know of a good map series and where to buy one for Alberta and British Columbia ? I've done a Google search and looked on Amazon but most seem be out of print or poor reviews.

If I do this trip I'll rent and Ultra Glide with built in twat nav,but a map would be useful.
Do any of you metrosexual HD types know if the built in nav on the new HDs let you build a route or can you just go A to B ?
I asked the salesman but he didn't know

Try the CAA - they keep stock of every province and state map. I was a member and got them free but I'm sure they'll sell you some.
The route from Lake Louise to Jasper is stunning. From the Saskatchewan river crossing (the glacier) you head east (you could go west from Calgary, via Red Deer 9another H-D dealer there]) along the David Thompson Highway with a snow melt blue lake - gorgeous! Anywhere in BC is gorgeous bike territory. I'm getting all excited just thinking about it and I'm not going!
Where do YOU want to go????

Try the CAA - they keep stock of every province and state map. I was a member and got them free but I'm sure they'll sell you some.
The route from Lake Louise to Jasper is stunning. From the Saskatchewan river crossing (the glacier) you head east (you could go west from Calgary, via Red Deer 9another H-D dealer there]) along the David Thompson Highway with a snow melt blue lake - gorgeous! Anywhere in BC is gorgeous bike territory. I'm getting all excited just thinking about it and I'm not going!
Where do YOU want to go????

Thanks.

I'm thinking of doing

Day 1 Calgary-Banff-Lake Louise
Day 2 LL to Jasper via the Icefields Parkway
Day 3 Jasper to Golden
Day 4 Golden to Calgary.

To be honest I might leave it all to last minute as flights quite busy and I would be using a standby ticket anyway.

Thanks.

I'm thinking of doing

Day 1 Calgary-Banff-Lake Louise
Day 2 LL to Jasper via the Icefields Parkway
Day 3 Jasper to Golden
Day 4 Golden to Calgary.

To be honest I might leave it all to last minute as flights quite busy and I would be using a standby ticket anyway.

Now that's a good route!
:clap:clap

I would leave your route to the last minute and check out the weather conditions which always have a big say on stuff over there. Those fires in Alberta at the moment may have an impact. No need to book hotels etc in advance as you'll find plenty but bear in mind prices in places like Jasper can be eye watering! You can get good local maps when you get there from a service station of the HD dealer.

If you have the time, try and take in Waterton which is just south of Banff. Superb place and well worth a visit although you may have to book a room there. I always use the Bear Mountain which is sensibly priced and a great little place http://bearmountainmotel.com. The route up to Banff from there via Highways 6, 22 and 40 is one of my favourite routes anywhere over there and much quieter that the Icefield Parkway. The big fire in the area may knock it on the head but worth a thought. If you can't get to Waterton or don't have the time, make sure you you head south out of Calgary and loop round on Highway 40 back up to Banff. You'll thank me......:thumb2

Just looking at your route mate here's a few notes.

Out of Banff, take the old Highway 1A to Lake Louise. You may see some Bears on that highway and it's a great ride. Watch your speed though as a tug from plod will cost you about $300:augie
Lake Louise is a tourist magnet and a grade 1 shit hole in the summer. Crawling with coaches and fat arsed yanks and chinese.
Golden is out on a limb and to get round to Jasper it's a long hit but a great ride.
You need to get out to Valemount as the ride toward Jasper is fantastic as you ride down towards Mt Robson which is one of the most stunning views you'll ever get.

Here is what I would do depending on time and how much you want to see. The National Parks are slow going but outside you can get on and a HD with the music blaring is ideal.

Calgary- Waterton: 270 kms
Waterton to Golden via Hwy 40: 500 kms
Golden to Valemount: 680 kms
Valemount - Banff via Icefields Parkway: 400 kms
Banff - Calgary: 150 kms

Attachments

• Mt Robson.jpg
    Mt Robson.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Icefields5.jpg
    Icefields5.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 248
I would leave your route to the last minute and check out the weather conditions which always have a big say on stuff over there. Those fires in Alberta at the moment may have an impact. No need to book hotels etc in advance as you'll find plenty but bear in mind prices in places like Jasper can be eye watering! You can get good local maps when you get there from a service station of the HD dealer.

If you have the time, try and take in Waterton which is just south of Banff. Superb place and well worth a visit although you may have to book a room there. I always use the Bear Mountain which is sensibly priced and a great little place http://bearmountainmotel.com. The route up to Banff from there via Highways 6, 22 and 40 is one of my favourite routes anywhere over there and much quieter that the Icefield Parkway. The big fire in the area may knock it on the head but worth a thought. If you can't get to Waterton or don't have the time, make sure you you head south out of Calgary and loop round on Highway 40 back up to Banff. You'll thank me......:thumb2

Hi sir.
Can you ride all the way up 40 to Banff or maybe cut over the Smith Dorrien trail??
Riding a big ol Harley and Google maps wont route up the 40??

Many thanks
Colin

Back
Top Bottom