D roads from Calais to Ypres (traveling Friday)

ZED 1000

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Me and my wife are off for a weekend trip to Ypres, earlyish crossing Friday morning to Calais, not needing to rush down to Ypres and not being a fan of motorway riding I would appreciate any recommendation's for a route through to Ypres on some nice D roads, also a nice little town to stop off for lunch on the way.

Get a map and use your imagination; just for once. It's not much more than 80km or fifty miles, you'll manage. It will be an Adventure, with a capital A, undertaken on a motorbike, setting you apart from other lesser mortals.

To be honest, if it were me, I'd belt down the motorway a few miles, trundle down the road to Poperinghe if you want to stop for lunch, and get to Ypres.

The 'back' roads aren't frightfully exciting in that neck of the woods, and there's lots to see and do in and around Ypres. Go into the tourist info in the Cloth Hall in the centre and pick up a free map or 2.

Thats what I always do!

There are reasonably decent (or at least different) roads in the Pas de Calais, if bods are prepared to look for them.

The bod wants to go about 50 miles in a straight line, so not far, so he has to be imaginative, for which he'll need a decent map. Failing that, pump the two or more destinations in Google maps and. / or viaMichlin's excellent app (free maps at all scales) to see what their walking or bicycling route suggestions are.

1. He can go inland of the Belgian upper coast and across the mass of small dykes and canals that litter the area. Is it fun? Well it's different and will be if he misjudges one and goes in the water.

2. He can loop down from Calais and then curl upwards to Cassel and then on to Ypres.

He has all day. He can get a map and work something out, I'm sure.

Thanks guys

Advice taken Wapping

outline of a plan coming together

J50 off the A16, D219,D216, D38, D3,D26,D933, Lunch at Cassel D948 D137 cross in to Belgium ,Douvieweg, Watouseweg,A33 Ring road N308 to Ypres, not a straight line but then we have a few hours to get there, this looks like 2- 2.5 hours riding and an hour for a leisurely lunch.

Main reason for the post was lots of guys on here have huge knowledge of routes throughout Europe, hints and tips on route planning have in the past guided me to some specular little places which I could have ridden right past without knowing they existed.

Turn right out of Calais and follow the coast road, past Wissant and down to Boulogne. then head inland and south to Montreuil sur Mer - which is a lovely lunch stop (try froggies - award winning chef). From there plot a nice route to Cassel, you should be there in time for an afternoon coffee and a walk around. From there it's an easy hop to Ypres.

Actually that sounds so good I might do that route myself :D

outline of a plan coming together

J50 off the A16, D219,D216, D38, D3,D26,D933, Lunch at Cassel D948 D137 cross in to Belgium ,Douvieweg, Watouseweg,A33 Ring road N308 to Ypres, not a straight line but then we have a few hours to get there, this looks like 2- 2.5 hours riding and an hour for a leisurely lunch.

See, it can be done and quite quickly too.

Excellent. Enjoy your break.

There are quite a few proper decent restaurants in or close to Boulogne. La Matelotte, Hostillerie du Riviere, L'Epicure and Hotel Atlantic (Leigoise fine dining and a bistro) - both in Wimmereaux, La Ferme du Verte in Wierre-Effroy. Between Calais and Boulogne is La Chaloupe in Wissant, a more bistro-y type of rustic moderne, serves a great fish stew, sort of Atlantic bouillabaisse, but other stuff too.
A previous highlight of any French trip is Le Cygne in St Omer. The new owner has changed it just enough to be irritating to those of us who liked it the way it was - excellent value and excellently cooked and presented food with regional character. Great unobtrusively attentive service. If you never went before you might find it great, the menus are much the same, but the service dropped a notch and there is something now quirky to the point of gimickry about the food or its presentation.
The previously mentioned Froggy's in Montreuil was good value too the time I visited. Conveniently located opposite the big central car park. A walk round the ramparts will either give you an appetite or help walk the meal off. I have been somewhat disappointed trying several other establishments in Montreuil food wise.
The Chateau du Montreuil excepted, even there the special menu is <€40.
All the places mentioned offer really good value menus - 3 to 5 course for between <€30 to €50 for lunch times. Evenings are usually more.
There are lots more places but those compromise my personal favourites. I know L'Epicure doesn't have a www, but the food is sublime. One chef, one front of house server, a husband and wife team. They get a bashing on trip advisor occasionally - I can only think it is some malicious troll, as the food has always been superb ever since I first went there in the mid 80's.
La Matelotte is more of showy place, food slightly under L'Epicure. Check them all out, wwwwise. Have a look at the menus and offers and see what you fancy.

The coast road from Calais to Boulogne is an attractive little ride. The hinterland of Boulogne is quite hilly, at least undulating, and if you travel in the general direction east, and if you follow Wapping's advice, and have a look at a map, you will find lots of possibilities, Cassel being only one. Its a nice area for bimbling.

Most restaurants close Sunday evening and Mondays, although in tourist areas this may sometimes change.
Double check you are not clashing with French or Belgian Bank Holidays - everyone likes a holiday! Especially if you normally live in a small apartment in a tower block in Paris.

Other places to visit to fill in the time. Eperleques and La Coupole, both not far from St Omer.

To be honest, if it were me, I'd belt down the motorway a few miles, trundle down the road to Poperinghe if you want to stop for lunch, and get to Ypres.

The 'back' roads aren't frightfully exciting in that neck of the woods, and there's lots to see and do in and around Ypres. Go into the tourist info in the Cloth Hall in the centre and pick up a free map or 2.

Thats what I always do!

That's why I very rarely see any bikes on all those lovely little country back roads, with their rolling pastures and untouched character.

You keep blasting past :thumby:

You clearly haven't been on too many Tossers' trips....

I stopped doing sarnies in laybys in 1963, although the stuffed lambs hearts lasted a bit longer. My mum would only cook them if I took the tubes out first, sort of makes you proprietorial.

Back
Top Bottom