R1200RT 2005 Potentiometer

Witney wonder

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a 2005 R1200RT which has developed a problem with its Potentiometer Part No: 23007680581. BMW (UK) say this part is on long term rode not available much before August, they are being as unhelpful as it is possible. My bike is off the road as it is unrideable. I would most obliged if anybody can help locating the part.:nenau

Have you tried any of the breakers on eBay?

You can email them, ask if they have the items, they don't list everything

I have a '55 plate RT, which I am slowly restoring as time allows.

Which part do you need, you are welcome to borrow one until you can locate a new one.

PM me if this is of interest

I have a 2005 1200RT and have been waiting for a gearbox potentiometer now for over a year.
Vines BMW in Guildford have told me that their screen says it's on 'back order' and to try again in March.
They told me this in Feb last year too. Something about a change of design and machine tooling problem at the factory?
I have regularly tried all used part dealers (Motoworks etc) and they are all out of stock, in fact they chuckle when I ask because they are getting loads of inquiries for these as it seems to be a common problem.
You don't have to search far on the forums to find lots of owners with the same complaint.

While it feels wrong to blame Vines Guildford I need to seriously complain to someone. Does anyone know of a BMW parts HQ for example that I can write to.
I love my BMW, but if I can't get this sorted I will have to change my bike. And if a BMW main dealer cannot get me a part for it, I certainly won't be changing it for another BMW.

:mad:

@witney wonder. Potentiometer for what function on the bike?

@stevestreet. Potentiometer for what gearbox function?

Hi

Given the position were it is located, it obviously gets covered in road crud. I had problems with my original 2005 GS, and the mechanic who worked for the met police said it was common.

He removed it and cleaned it up, especially the rear electrical connections. When installing it required some setting up via the laptop, but it worked faultlessly for another three years.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom