Avon Trailrider review

Just ordered a set of these last night. Will be replacing the TKC-70 that I'm running now. Loads of thread left on the Conti's but the rear is badly squared off and I can't quite explain it but you constantly feel like the tyres are under inflated.......I just want them off the bike.

Will update after the Avon's are fitted.

Just done a euro jaunt for a week. Around 2000 miles, mostly in wet conditions. Tyres were faultless. I'll be putting these on again unless they are knackered in under 4.5k.

No issues in triple figures with three boxes all loaded.

Only thing of note, is that they are quieter than Anakee 3's, but noisier than PR4's.

Recommended.

Only thing of note, is that they are quieter than Anakee 3's, but noisier than PR4's.

Recommended.

Newbie here, and a new GS owner. Interesting comment - are Anakee 3s known to be noisy? The 'front end' on my GS seems noisy to me and I was wondering whether it is the tyres. I will change to Avons but need to wear the Anakees out first!

Newbie here, and a new GS owner. Interesting comment - are Anakee 3s known to be noisy? The 'front end' on my GS seems noisy to me and I was wondering whether it is the tyres. I will change to Avons but need to wear the Anakees out first!

There certainly is a perception on here that the Anakee 3s are noisy, along with a number of others I too will probably go for the Avon trails when the time comes. My Anakees have done nearly 4000 with plenty of life in them, hoping they will get to 6000.

There certainly is a perception on here that the Anakee 3s are noisy, along with a number of others I too will probably go for the Avon trails when the time comes. My Anakees have done nearly 4000 with plenty of life in them, hoping they will get to 6000.

My bike is now a 6100 miles and my Anakees still look good!

I can vouch for Trailriders at high speed, with and without luggage. They are great tyres, and I'd choose them over Annakee 3s, TKC70s and PR4s, all of which I've had on my GSA. I'm about to fit a pair of Dunlop Trailsmart, but that's only because I'm inquisitive, and I suspect the Avons will be a hard act to follow.

Edited to add I'd love to get 6000 miles out of a set of tyres. My commuting would be far cheaper. I've not yet had more than 4500 miles from any tyre on this bike...:augie

My problem is I'm going to get to about 6000 miles and then head on a 2000 mile trip to Spain and France with pillion and luggage, so the Anakees either need to do 8000 or get changed at 6000 as I don't want to rummaging around looking for a tyre supplier/fitter on my hols.

My problem is I'm going to get to about 6000 miles and then head on a 2000 mile trip to Spain and France with pillion and luggage, so the Anakees either need to do 8000 or get changed at 6000 as I don't want to rummaging around looking for a tyre supplier/fitter on my hols.

I've been lucky to get 6000 out of my rear tyres, the last rear Anakee was shot after 4500 I'm hoping to get more out of the Avons.

Terry

Just ordered a set of these last night. Will be replacing the TKC-70 that I'm running now. Loads of thread left on the Conti's but the rear is badly squared off and I can't quite explain it but you constantly feel like the tyres are under inflated.......I just want them off the bike.

Will update after the Avon's are fitted.

I hated the TKC70 my bike weaved with the luggage fitted, the Avons are miles apart you will love them

Terry

117a2cdc41226dc1bd9035b12f5c5c9c.jpg

Arrived today, I've a decision to make...... do I take the TKC70 off even though there's 1000's of kms left on them? The longer they are on the bike and the thread blocks get more unevenly worn..... the worse the ride gets.
The blocks are ridged so bad that when I wheel/push the bike, my top box rattles!!

Sent from a OnePlusX

Take the 70's off it sounds like they are spent anyway. They may still have tread but what's the point if they are killing the handling.

I hated the TKC70 and thought they were dangerous. By contrast, I love Avon's Trailriders. Ride the bike and don't enjoy it to the full, or swap out the tyres and have fun. It's a no-brainer...

I got my tyre dealer to return the TKC70s to the distributor and got a partial refund a few weeks later once they'd been inspected by Continental. The amount was in proportion to how much I'd worn them. It may be worth you trying the same.

Arrived today, I've a decision to make...... do I take the TKC70 off even though there's 1000's of kms left on them? The longer they are on the bike and the thread blocks get more unevenly worn..... the worse the ride gets.
The blocks are ridged so bad that when I wheel/push the bike, my top box rattles!!

Sent from a OnePlusX

Ooh, what's that going on, then? My LC GS takes a 120/70 section tyre on the front.

Sent from a OnePlusX

Piss the the wife and neighbours off and do a burn out, then change them.

Anyone done any trail riding on these? Time to replace my TKC70s.Found them a reasonable compromise but didn't like the weave over 80.Off to Romania Sept and need some off road capability.:beerjug:

Anyone done any trail riding on these? Time to replace my TKC70s.Found them a reasonable compromise but didn't like the weave over 80.Off to Romania Sept and need some off road capability.:beerjug:

I've done some dry green lanes on mine (Hexhead Adv) they are supposed to be 10% offroad...

They're not TKCs but they are OK, I would not put them on for trail riding but if I had the need to ride some trails i'd not be sitting at the trail head thinking oh shite...

Back
Top Bottom