Avon Trailrider review

steele01

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just got some new Avon's fitted on the GSA LC

so initial thoughts 0-50 miles a little weird feeling at first as they scrub in 50 miles in though very positive steering,

100-400 miles

Gradually improved from the onset a very confidence inspiring tyre cold conditions gripped perfectly, didn't get upset by wind, tried it in a few different suspension modes

Handling wise I'd say the bike turns a lot sharper but is neutral and progressive feels very light on its feet so to speak. grip levels are absolutely brilliant very had to think its a 80/20 tyre as they just seem to suit the bike so well no wagging bars at speed etc.

Can't comment on longevity but think I have a new fav tyre now apparently Avon have sold out so just goes to show how brilliant they are especially when out with my dad running the corner speed everywhere behind his 750

few pictures

Anakee III's mate got to try the rest but the levels of grip of the avon's are great might not be to everyones liking but I've used avon on track and always liked them :)

I'll be interested to hear about the noise compared to the Anakee 3, and also high speed (triple figure speeds)/ wet weather performance.

bit of noise but a lot quieter compared to the Anakiee's no daft howling

I like it feels stable :) also got stuck in a massively deep gravel car park haha sunk the back wheel half way got out of it rode round without dropping it so with my limited off road experience over the moon with them :)

I like it feels stable :) also got stuck in a massively deep gravel car park haha sunk the back wheel half way got out of it rode round without dropping it so with my limited off road experience over the moon with them :)

Good to know.:thumb

If you get a chance, please run it up to top speed (around 135mph) and let me know how they feel.:D

All joking aside, with the full system and a Hilltop remap, it gets into triple figures quickly, so I'm interested to know about triple figure stability.

Good to know.:thumb

If you get a chance, please run it up to top speed (around 135mph) and let me know how they feel.:D

All joking aside, with the full system and a Hilltop remap, it gets into triple figures quickly, so I'm interested to know about triple figure stability.
Whatever...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Got a 675 daytona and a Harris TZ 350 for track stuff so GSA will only be at 70 unless a iom trip :)

All about the cornering for me ;)

Totally agree with the original post by steele01, very neutral tyre, just seems to do what you want. Changed from Anakee 3's which were fine but wanted a bit more off-road ability as i live a ways up an unmade road and they feel much better, though I have no expectation that the Trailriders are in any way a true off-road tyre.

First 100 miles they did feel very "tippy" in corners and I seem to feel the road surface more, which doesn't really describe the sensation but might be the larger gaps in the tread??

Can't testify to sustained triple figure speeds and don't really have any desire to but I'm really impressed with the tyres so far.

I've had all sorts of tyres in the past from Tourances (Various) to Trail Attacks to full on road tyres and these are up there with the best, both on wet or dry roads but with the added bonus of having enough off-road ability for my needs.
Considered the TKC-70's but get the impression they're a "Marmite" tyre and the Avons get consistently good reviews.

There isn't really a bad modern tyre, though I prefer the look of the Avons and more than happy with my choice.

Totally agree with the original post by steele01, very neutral tyre, just seems to do what you want. Changed from Anakee 3's which were fine but wanted a bit more off-road ability as i live a ways up an unmade road and they feel much better, though I have no expectation that the Trailriders are in any way a true off-road tyre.

First 100 miles they did feel very "tippy" in corners and I seem to feel the road surface more, which doesn't really describe the sensation but might be the larger gaps in the tread??

Can't testify to sustained triple figure speeds and don't really have any desire to but I'm really impressed with the tyres so far.

I've had all sorts of tyres in the past from Tourances (Various) to Trail Attacks to full on road tyres and these are up there with the best, both on wet or dry roads but with the added bonus of having enough off-road ability for my needs.
Considered the TKC-70's but get the impression they're a "Marmite" tyre and the Avons get consistently good reviews.

There isn't really a bad modern tyre, though I prefer the look of the Avons and more than happy with my choice.

I think you made the right choice I had the TK 70 and hated them the grip was great but they weaved at higher speeds with the boxes on. I've got Anakees on at the moment but will definitely be giving the Avons a go next.

Terry

They certainly look like worth a whirl, but i'd really like to know how many miles of road only use peeps are getting.

Just checked my Anakees 3s, the rear has 6mm left in the middle (deepest hole) after 3200 miles, probably < 1000 two up,but I have done a lot of motorway riding.

I think you made the right choice I had the TK 70 and hated them the grip was great but they weaved at higher speeds with the boxes on. I've got Anakees on at the moment but will definitely be giving the Avons a go next.

Terry

Just ordered a set of the Avons, they are being fitted in a weeks time £268 hope they are worth it. will find out soon enough im off round the lake District for a week a couple of days after they have been fitted.

Terry

I fitted a set of Trailriders before a trip to Morocco last September.
Initial feeling of a loose rear wheel when leaning over into roundabouts hasn't really gone away yet, still feels 'different' when on its edges.
Rear is wearing in the middle, but a lot of its use has been motorway miles, especially in its first month down and back through Spain.
Wet weather, no problems, but I don't take any risks in the wet anyway.
I did have a slight weaving issue at speed with panniers and top box fitted on high speed runs across the long straight desert roads in Morocco. I haven't had any similar issues since but I probably haven't had it loaded/going as fast for long distances as I did then.
Done about 6000 miles on them so far and there's plenty of rubber left.

Just had mine fitted initial thoughts woo hoo loads of grip tip in felt quick at first but think that's the norm with new tyres. They feel very stable, at this point having done about 50 miles are think I've made the right choice very impressed. I'm off to the lakes all next week so will see how they go after a few more miles. They look great too

Terry

Just had mine fitted initial thoughts woo hoo loads of grip tip in felt quick at first but think that's the norm with new tyres. They feel very stable, at this point having done about 50 miles are think I've made the right choice very impressed. I'm off to the lakes all next week so will see how they go after a few more miles. They look great too

Terry
850 mile round trip to the lakes no complaints great grip wet or dry, handles great they look as though they will last a while too. definitely be having them again

Terry

Back
Top Bottom