The beginnings of a 1975 Suzuki TR750

Just did a little test and tune on the bike, test rode it for the first time on a private country lane. Quite pleased really with the results. No leaks or malfunctions everything seemed to work as it should during the limited trial. Was really pleased that it bump started so easily after sitting dormant for two months. Was surprised at its acceleration, pulled the front wheel up very easily and not in a threatening way, very controlled but a bit of a surprise.

Ran it with out the fairing so we could check for leaks or any obvious problems. Nothing really, got up to about 45degrees C, ran it for about 20 minutes. It guzzles fuel!!

Track day next. Will keep you posted. I do have a short video...…….very boring, like watching someone else's vacation video but will post a link if able .

Last edited:
Awesome can't wait for the track day report. That's if you can get it out of the paddock through the crowd that undoubtable will form around it lol :thumb:thumb

track day report

On Sunday I took the TR750 to Cadwell Park for it's and mine first outing. The track day was for 1995 and older bikes with some exceptions made for bikes of interest.

There were 4 classifications of riders....novice, intermediate to 600cc, intermediate over 600cc, expert or fast group. As this was mine and the bikes first track day entered in the novice group.

First thing up was the noise test, max 105 decibels allowed. We failed it at 107!, went back to the pits tried stuffing steel wool in stinger , failed it again! More steel wool and this time we passed it! bike would hardly run and unfortunately I think it all blew out but the bike started to run better and no one seemed to mind.

First session, …..a lot to take in. First time the bike ridden in earnest and it wasn't with out its challenges. Was really taken with how fast others were and how slow I was so started to ride over my head. On about the 5th lap ran off at the goose neck, ran out of talent and track all at the same time. Ran across the grass. I can honestly say its the fastest I've ever ridden on grass but got back on track. Immediately signed up with an instructor.

Followed the track instructor for 3 or 4 laps with the goal of following or emulating his track lines. He then followed me for 3 or 4 laps and then critiqued my performance. What I got out of it was speed up and aim for the turn in point, turn in and then hit the apex, accelerate out . Sounds simple and it is but does require a level of confidence real or imagined, brakes are nice to have as well and false neutrals can change the racing line significantly...…….not a good thing.

Kept at it and slowly started to improve. Off track once more in the third session at the hairpin leading onto the start/finish straight stretch due to a false neutral and my inability to deal with it but back on track with no fuss or interference to others.

The fourth and final session was mine and the bikes best. In the first three sessions it had drank about a tank full that I would estimate at about 20 ltrs. of fuel.

In the end my accomplishment was ,I think I learned some of the basics, got much faster by the end of the day, didn't damage myself, the bike or others and I'm looking forward to the next time. Pleased with that.

Areas that need improvement other than my own abilities on a track,...………... that will come with time.

-rear shocks need to be replaced as the ones on it were very inexpensive bought mainly to build the bike as they had the right eye to eye measurement. New ones on order today.

-front fork cartridge emulator needs to be set up properly, far to soft both ways.

-first gear is hard to find, to many false neutrals. A winter tare down project

-front brakes are minimal, need to review complete front brake system and modify

-got to get to 105dbls/5500RPM for noise test. Wont be easy but have some ideas

What was encouraging

-the motor ran well

-new 3.5"rear wheel and brake worked well...…..thanks Mikey!!

-in spite of all the things that need attention the bike was easy to ride with no real bad habits, Good actually when you consider how old the technology being used is.

-I like the bike and a number of people at the track did as well.

Will post some pictures of this outing when I get them

Well done Bill, love to see the pictures :thumb

Pictures

Cadwell Park June 17th, 2018

Attachments

• DSC_9880.jpg
    DSC_9880.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 894
  • 95F_0817.jpg
    95F_0817.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 858
  • DSC_9930.jpg
    DSC_9930.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 851
Brilliant thread :)

107 Db :thumb2 get in there,

I bet it howls like a banshee -

what oil are you running it on? Mineral or Synth - small cloud of blue stuff in one of the shots

On Sunday I took the TR750 to Cadwell Park for it's and mine first outing. The track day was for 1995 and older bikes with some exceptions made for bikes of interest.

There were 4 classifications of riders....novice, intermediate to 600cc, intermediate over 600cc, expert or fast group. As this was mine and the bikes first track day entered in the novice group.

First thing up was the noise test, max 105 decibels allowed. We failed it at 107!, went back to the pits tried stuffing steel wool in stinger , failed it again! More steel wool and this time we passed it! bike would hardly run and unfortunately I think it all blew out but the bike started to run better and no one seemed to mind.

First session, …..a lot to take in. First time the bike ridden in earnest and it wasn't with out its challenges. Was really taken with how fast others were and how slow I was so started to ride over my head. On about the 5th lap ran off at the goose neck, ran out of talent and track all at the same time. Ran across the grass. I can honestly say its the fastest I've ever ridden on grass but got back on track. Immediately signed up with an instructor.

Followed the track instructor for 3 or 4 laps with the goal of following or emulating his track lines. He then followed me for 3 or 4 laps and then critiqued my performance. What I got out of it was speed up and aim for the turn in point, turn in and then hit the apex, accelerate out . Sounds simple and it is but does require a level of confidence real or imagined, brakes are nice to have as well and false neutrals can change the racing line significantly...…….not a good thing.

Kept at it and slowly started to improve. Off track once more in the third session at the hairpin leading onto the start/finish straight stretch due to a false neutral and my inability to deal with it but back on track with no fuss or interference to others.

The fourth and final session was mine and the bikes best. In the first three sessions it had drank about a tank full that I would estimate at about 20 ltrs. of fuel.

In the end my accomplishment was ,I think I learned some of the basics, got much faster by the end of the day, didn't damage myself, the bike or others and I'm looking forward to the next time. Pleased with that.

Areas that need improvement other than my own abilities on a track,...………... that will come with time.

-rear shocks need to be replaced as the ones on it were very inexpensive bought mainly to build the bike as they had the right eye to eye measurement. New ones on order today.

-front fork cartridge emulator needs to be set up properly, far to soft both ways.

-first gear is hard to find, to many false neutrals. A winter tare down project

-front brakes are minimal, need to review complete front brake system and modify

-got to get to 105dbls/5500RPM for noise test. Wont be easy but have some ideas

What was encouraging

-the motor ran well

-new 3.5"rear wheel and brake worked well...…..thanks Mikey!!

-in spite of all the things that need attention the bike was easy to ride with no real bad habits, Good actually when you consider how old the technology being used is.

-I like the bike and a number of people at the track did as well.

Will post some pictures of this outing when I get them

Pictures look great!

re front brake issue, assuming they are working correctly is it maybe the master cylinder bore too large?

With respect to the two cycle oil I'm using it's Rock oil synthetic at 32:1. Does smoke a bit but that's one of many things that sets it apart from the new bikes.

As far as front brakes, I think it's a few issues, poor discs (used Kawasaki from the 80's , SS and hard) suspect master cylinder bore is to small. Brembo callipers two piston with sintered EBC HH pads (think those components are OK and kind of period correct). Shouldn't be to hard to sort out but encourage your suggestions.

Awesome and it’s fantastic you have built a bike with a few to getting it out on track which you have achieved. Now everything gets better from here. Good on yea :beerjug:

Somehow managed to miss this thread until now.
Farking WOW!!
How have you resisted the temptation to put No 7 on it? :D

Actually I tried to replicate Tepi Lansazories bike, the #8 bike. Tepi was at Daytona in74 as well as Barryand lead the race twice until he retired. Steve Wheatman has Tepi's old bike and Tepi still rides it when he takes it to Europe

Riding this is a bit like entering a Sopwith Camel but its loads of fun to ride and can still suprise some of the 600 crowd!

Stunning.
Simply stunning.. :drool

Featured in September Practical Sportsbike

Attachments

• 917CD947-547D-42C6-840A-5328D1EC5ED7.jpg
    917CD947-547D-42C6-840A-5328D1EC5ED7.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 651
That’s beautiful and sounds very purposeful.

Congrats on a lovely build
:beerjug:

Now what you really need to do is get some removeable lights,comfy seat pad and digital speedo fitted or a daylight mot and get it on the road .

Perfect antidote to the tree huggers even though it will probably struggle to attain EURO 4 standards unless you put reflectors on the fork legs

Just came accross this, had no idea it had made the magazine. Will be getting a copy tomorrow! Maybe two copies

Just doing a major shed clean up so rolled the bikes out for a photo, The little Suzuki GSXR600 is the track bike I'm redoing...…………...grandfather..../….grandson idea

Attachments

• quarter view 3.jpg
    quarter view 3.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 790
  • rear quarter view.jpg
    rear quarter view.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 801
  • rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 782
All the lines do line up, the tank is not bolted down in the last picture. Need to apply decals and then lacquer base coat. Have done some painting in the past but very much a hobbyist effort, like most phases of a project I do enjoy learning how to do new tasks like spraying.

Back
Top Bottom