Possible USA Motorcycling opportunity, for anyone who fancies a bit of touring in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortina

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just done a wash and clean up (and oil and filter change !) , on my 2009 registered GL1800 in sunny Seattle ..... after doing 6,495 miles in the last 27 days (21 on the road !)

After getting faced with a $6,500 bill for hiring the equivalent type of machine (for 4 weeks) ... I decided there was a better way , and went the purchase route !! I have done this for the last four years on 3 different bikes , and am considering giving it a rest for a year or two .... or three.
What should I do ? sell up and buy again in x years time ... or park it for y years .. and use again ? (keeping is tempting .. it was cheap (no big investment tied up) , comfortable ... (over 300 miles a day average , nearly 500 miles was longest day) , economical (56.5 uk mpg average on this trip) , and 100% reliable ...... and nice to ride ! BUT ... vehicles like this (and most others) ... should be used.

Decision not needed till late Sept , as a friend from NI is borrowing it for a couple of weeks then ..... meantime , let me know if any of you are interested in taking this on (buying it off me !) . In addition (anyroads) I will post a few pics after I get back to base on Tuesday , some interesting experiences , from heat in Death Valley , to heights of Pikes Peak , to getting caught in a "freak" snowstorm , and having to jump ship for 24 hours !!. (price guide is $7000 , that's all it is worth ... nothing of similar age in the UK for sub 10,000 Pounds + (Note different currencies !) ... all beit with a bit less less than 108,000 miles on the clock !). Timescale flexible .. could be held for a 2017 visit ... but I would not advise a northern half of the USA tour, pre May...ish time .

Only sticking this in the Ireland section as that is my base

cheers
Alan

Couple of snaps - one after our tour , other at Death Valley.

Hope they are not too small !!

Attachments

• Wing 1800.jpg
    Wing 1800.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 574
  • Wing 1800.2.jpg
    Wing 1800.2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 577
I'm confused (it's not unusual) - are you offering this for sale, or hire, or what?? :confused:

As stated in advert "buying it off me" .... Hire is not mentioned , not sure where confusion arises ?

As stated in advert "buying it off me" .... Hire is not mentioned , not sure where confusion arises ?

Well, possibly because the phrase was hidden deep within the stream of consciousness that was your post :D - and the fact it's not in the FS&W section...:p

the post was clear enough to me - $7K for that bike is a good deal. GLWS.

Thankyou for that - I am watching one on ebay.com at present ... 163,000 miles and bidding is up to over $7K already , and bike is many years older than mine .
So yes , it's not dear at that.

Update to this (and to make it clear .. the bike will be for sale in the future ...... see below)

Sept last year : Bike used by a good friend - approx 2500 trouble free miles done

2017 Plans : I have booked to go out again for 3.5 weeks - returning June 25th 2017. Bike will then be sold (If no joy here , then probably stuck on ebay with a low starting price (guess $4,000 ?) ... and highest bidder wins) If you want to gamble - then feel free to wait .

If on the other hand , someone wants to plan a trip to USA to collect my grand machine ... take it away and do what they wish with it (I would suggest an American tour ... then ship it home !) ... then now is the time to start planning it. Flights available ex Dublin for approx £580 return to Seattle via San Francisco.

Mileage by then will be approx 116,000 , cost approx $6750 .. all things are negotiable up to a point. I will be finished with the bike on about Thur 22nd June (+/- a day) and would be available for handover for that 3 day window. If someone wants it , I'll do an oil service on it , and leave it ready to go again (for another 8,000 miles)

cheers
Alan

Now listed in the for sale section .... for another few days, before I clear off to America again ................

Right - time for me to get packing . No real interest on this side of the pond !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom