590 Average Speeds

RobK

Often Confused
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm playing about transferring a route from Basecamp to my 590. All seems to have transferred ok, the route looks the same however the time the route should take is significantly different. So in base camp it's showing 6 hours 10 mins whereas on the 590 it's 5 hours 15 mins.

Is there a place to set the average speeds the 590 uses? I can't seem to find it.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried a search but it didn't come up with anything.

Cheers,
Rob.

Does not Basecamp use the average speeds you have set in the activity profile. I suspect the 590 will use your actual average speeds in its calculations.

John

Base camp has stupid low speeds as default on European roads. If you go to profile/customize you will get a table of set speeds that you can change. The fastest road given is "highway" at 90kph which I think should be 110 or even 130. I change all mine and it brings the trip times down.

Neil

Thanks for the replies all, I'll have a fiddle with the basecamp settings.

Cheers,
Rob.

Not any more, I think - just the ability to increase or decrease speed relative to the profile, but happy to be proved wrong.

Base camp has stupid low speeds as default on European roads. If you go to profile/customize you will get a table of set speeds that you can change. The fastest road given is "highway" at 90kph which I think should be 110 or even 130. I change all mine and it brings the trip times down.

Neil

Not sure if there is any difference twix' 390 and 590 but having the former and was able to change the speeds in the custom profile bit of Basecamp.
Hope you can too

Not sure if there is any difference twix' 390 and 590 but having the former and was able to change the speeds in the custom profile bit of Basecamp.
Hope you can too

I think Basecamp is Basecamp, regardless of the GPS used, and as far as I can see the custom profiles only allow a plus or minus from a "default" speed, but no idea what the default speed is.

I think Basecamp is Basecamp, regardless of the GPS used, and as far as I can see the custom profiles only allow a plus or minus from a "default" speed, but no idea what the default speed is.

Mines the same using a Mac.
You using a Mac or PC?

You could probably work it out.

Take a decently long stretch of motorway, with a known 70 mph limit. Ask BaseCamp to take you from A to B and look at the time it estimates. That is it's assumed speed.

Do the same for a decently long stretch of 30 mph road.

Do the same for a known 50 mph stretch.

That's if anyone can be bothered enough to do it.

if anyone can be bothered enough to do it.

Not really. I've got 5000 miles to do over lots of different speed limits. It would be easier if you could just adjust the speeds like Mapsource did, but at the end of the day it's only a guide. I did do a quick simulation on the GPS and it uses the speed limit, which is ok on major roads but goes out of kilter on smaller roads with a 60 limit.

500 miles, over lots of different speed limits, will take you all day. Is that good enough? Want to fine tune it? Less time if you don't stop; longer if you stop regularly or for protracted periods.

Or, look at it another way, how long - from your own riding experience - do you think it will take you? You must know your own likely average speed over roads or you wouldn't know what to try to set the software to.

Depending on what GPS device you own, it will have your average speed logged in it somewhere, perhaps even your moving average speed and your whole day average, It may even have recorded the average speed / time taken for each tack log it has saved. What do those numbers tell you? How do they compare with the software's estimation of the speed / time taken? Your bike may also show / record your historic average moving speed, what's that number and over what sorts of roads has it been created?

Leaving all this aside, your own estimation of the total time it will take you will always be best. You could set that your average moving speed on motorways is 85 mph, but that will plummet as soon as you stop for fuel or have a coffee / lunch stop. So, once again, how long - if your life depended on the answer - do YOU think it will take YOU to ride the 500 miles of the route YOU have plotted out?

Mac. I'm running Windows 10 on it too, so I might install Basecamp Windows and see if it's the same

It's a very different program. The toolbars even have different tools. Be interesting to know if you can set speed limits on it like the old MapSource program.

I work on the premise that 200 miles of mountain roads = 6hrs+

200 miles of motorway are 3hrs +

Anything else is somewhere in between depending on traffic/cities travelled through.

Following Gargy's estimation, based on his experience and leaving aside that he put a plus against the times, which I guess means he estimates that those are minimum times which might take longer, he has an average speed of:

33 mph in the mountains

66 on motorways

Averaging the two out gives an average daily speed of not faster than 44 mph.

If your riding experience is similar to his, it will take you about 11 hours to do the 500 miles, a figure you can adjust up and down depending on how much (or little) mountain or motorway you have in your route.

Either way, as I said, you'll be 'looking at all day' to ride your 500 miles over what you describe as a mixture of roads.

500 miles, over lots of different speed limits, will take you all day.

Ahem. 5000 miles. I'm expecting it to take a bit longer than a day. Having done lots of long trips, on and off road, I've a pretty decent idea of how long it will take. I just wanted a simple answer to the question, can I adjust the default speed settings in Basecamp, in case I'd missed some menu option somewhere. The answer is apparently no. But thanks for the advice anyway.

UOTE=iand46;4467844]It's a very different program. The toolbars even have different tools. Be interesting to know if you can set speed limits on it like the old MapSource program.[/QUOTE]

You can indeed, using a pc set the speeds to what you wish to use for various roads, within basecamp activity profiles.
This of course will not transfer these speeds over to the nav, this will be set by the nav from within ts own settings. but it will when viewed in basecamp give you a time based on these settings.

Attachments

• 28-08-2016 12-22-19.jpg
    28-08-2016 12-22-19.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 83

Back
Top Bottom