Can I transfer maps from Zumo to Mapsource

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just acquired a refurbished Zumo 550. Is there a way to transfer the maps from here to Mapsource?

I've just acquired a refurbished Zumo 550. Is there a way to transfer the maps from here to Mapsource?

To answer your question ( rather than telling you to use Basecamp) Just plug in the unit to the PC and use "receive from device". Tick maps and away you go.

I have just tried it with my 390 (using latest OSM maps) and it took no time at all to transfer my UK map set. I dare say the whole of Europe might take a little longer.

John

Just to cut in.
Where did you get the refurbished 550 unit.?
I have just been in touch with Garmin and they said they don't support them anymore ("so go away and buy a new one")

In order...

Used to have a lovely 2610 which died at the weekend, think it is a dead digitiser

Basecamp on a Mac is arse, a complete pain, Mapsource does just what I want and is intuitive, I don't want the bells and whistles and non intuitive Basecamp - YMMV

Refurbished Garmin from Ebay, paid a bit more for one which came with a 90 day warranty... for what it's worth, was £105, but without the cradle etc

OK, giving Basecamp another go, maybe it will be a different experience with the 550?

I've connected to Macbook, it's loaded the map from the Zumo, but disappears when it's unplugged. I'll look for a manual :)

... and now the maps have disappeared and I'm left with the base map... arghhh, this is why I don't like Basecamp

Register the device with Garmin. Reinstall maps to device & choose the download option to install to Mac or PC using Garmin Express or MapUpdater / MapInstall.

Register the device with Garmin. Reinstall maps to device & choose the download option to install to Mac or PC using Garmin Express or MapUpdater / MapInstall.

As it's an old unit there might be no free update from Garmin. You could try the (better) OSM maps http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ The latest "new style" ones are rather good, Try just downloading the UK ones to see what is on offer. You can load them on your PC where they will work with either Mapsource or Basecamp. Then transfer the map set to the 550. OSM maps are updated weekly and now have more detail and better accuracy than Garmin maps.

John

OK, giving Basecamp another go, maybe it will be a different experience with the 550?

I've connected to Macbook, it's loaded the map from the Zumo, but disappears when it's unplugged. I'll look for a manual :)

... and now the maps have disappeared and I'm left with the base map... arghhh, this is why I don't like Basecamp

I'm no great fan of Basecamp but the above is not a reason to dislike it. Basecamp always loads the device map, a pointless waste of time for those with the maps on their computer, but at least if you don't have maps loaded you can work with it. Mapsource does not work on a Mac anyway so you are stuck with the overcomplicated, badly thought out mess that is Basecamp.

John

Basecamp is using the map on your device for your route planning, so when you disconnect there is no local map on your PC for Basecamp to load. I'm not certain of this but I don't think you can copy the map from the 550 to your PC. Your best chance of doing this is a utility called JaVaWa GMTK which will copy maps with their unlock codes from one location to another. It's very useful for copying maps between PCs but I've never used it to copy a map from the device to a PC. If you can't make this copy your options are
1. to plug your 550 into your PC for route planning,
2. buy a lifetime map upgrade from Garmin or
3. use open sourced maps (OSM)

BTW, your install of Basecamp is working as intended by Garmin.

As it's an old unit there might be no free update from Garmin. You could try the (better) OSM maps http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ The latest "new style" ones are rather good, Try just downloading the UK ones to see what is on offer. You can load them on your PC where they will work with either Mapsource or Basecamp. Then transfer the map set to the 550. OSM maps are updated weekly and now have more detail and better accuracy than Garmin maps.

John

I never mentioned an update. Just advised reinstalling the current version to device &
computer

I'm no great fan of Basecamp but the above is not a reason to dislike it. Basecamp always loads the device map, a pointless waste of time for those with the maps on their computer, but at least if you don't have maps loaded you can work with it. Mapsource does not work on a Mac anyway so you are stuck with the overcomplicated, badly thought out mess that is Basecamp.

John

Those of us with Macs successfully use BaseCamp without issues even with older devices. No choice but to learn it.

Those of us with Macs successfully use BaseCamp without issues even with older devices. No choice but to learn it.

I appreciate Mac users have no choice but to use Basecamp however, not being able to use Mapsource they can't really comment on that software. I don't doubt Basecamp can be made to work. I have used it many times myself with lots of different devices. For me and, it would appear, a awful lot of others Basecamp does not offer enough in compensation for the effort required to use it. I am told it works better on a Mac but I have no personal experience of that.

For now Mapsource does absolutely everything I need without fuss. I am far from being a Luddite but I do not believe that because something is newer it is automatically better. This is especially true with anything to do with software. How long, for instance, did it take Microsoft to see the error of their ways and bring back the start menu?

Even just plugging in my 390 and downloading a route takes longer in Basecamp mainly because, despite the same maps being on my PC Basecamp insists on downloading the device maps before it will do anything else. Yes I know this helps those who don't for whatever reason have maps on their PC but why on earth is it not an option? I don't like the way Basecamp hides all my routes away and will only store them in a visible file if I go to the trouble of exporting each route. I could go on with a list of niggles but Mapsource users know the problems anyway and Basecamp devotees work around them.

As I have said before I salute those who have the patience to make Basecamp work. Whilst Mapsource does all I need I can't see me joining those ranks any time soon.

John

As the bod has had his question answered, I'll close the thread before it turns into yet another 'BaseCamp is shite' 'Use OSM maps' rant and battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom