Come on guys who owns an Africa Twin ???

501e78d95204d582f4a4e2a2771f8a3c.jpg

tea break engineering, cant beat it

Africa Twin owners.....position of GPS

I have a TomTom rider on a RAM mount, with an extension arm, all off the U-bolt mounted to the the 12mm diameter bar above the clocks.
It looks like a feckin meccano set.

Has anyone had any success with other mounts? I don't really want to put it on the handlebars so I dont have to take my eyes too far off the road

It wasn't a problem ( and still isn't really....just a fugly cow) until I put a shorter screen on the bike and now the GPS sticks up above the top of the screen, even with it tilted on the RAM as far over as I can get it.

I started off with my GPS on said screen crossbar. It's nice having it above the clocks, but then I started reading that some folk were having breakages and Honda refusing warranty claims as they say it isn't designed to take a GPS. Now, most of these breakages seemed to be happening mostly to yanks who were into their off-roading and in all possibility, road riding wouldn't be as severe. But I decided to play safe and change the position to the handlebar clamps. In all honesty, I'd prefer the above clock position, but in reality it's not bad where it is now. It's not like you spend more than a fleeting second looking at the unit, I know I just glance at it when it's giving an instruction and to date, I've not had any pucker moments.

I use the SW-Motech quick release mount attached to the Touratech thingy. I don't like to have the actual mount permanently attached to the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 461
Just got back from alps tour and was suprised at the number of africa twins I Saw. Almost every group of motorcycles
Had at least one africa twin in them..lovely looking bikes.

I use a BMW clamp, originally used for 1150s I believe. Part number 71 60 7 713 903

I use this with a Garmin, so don't know if it will fit the Tom Tom - it needs the 4 holes to be in the correct place. The tube diameter is different from the BMW so I used some webbing tape to make up the difference. Can't post photos at the moment as i'm a Photobucket victim, but the linked photo shows the clamp attached to a Touratech mounting.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205112&stc=1&d=1338460028

Thanks guys

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I did 100 miles yesterday round South Yorks and into Derbyshire. TBH, apart from the fecker sticking up in the air, it's actually easy to read.

I'll mull it over................:thumb

Just ordered these crash bungs by GSG for my AT. A bit neater than many of the engine bars I've seen. Wether they're any good or not.....I hope never to find out. :rob

Attachments

• 61E17B3E-5CC5-4A2B-9C87-4752C8F491FB-16077-0000097F4C628045.jpeg
    61E17B3E-5CC5-4A2B-9C87-4752C8F491FB-16077-0000097F4C628045.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 912A5041-B3D3-464B-9C4F-E790A5EBD738-16077-0000097F4FB2ABE4.jpeg
    912A5041-B3D3-464B-9C4F-E790A5EBD738-16077-0000097F4FB2ABE4.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 274
Davy let us know how the bungs are, I was thinking of buying crash bars for my tricolour but I much prefer the look of the bungs

Davy let us know how the bungs are, I was thinking of buying crash bars for my tricolour but I much prefer the look of the bungs

Will do...not sure when they'll arrive. The vendor got the €€€ on Tuesday, so I'm hoping for German efficiency and get them maybe early next week. Only real downside was he doesn't do credit cards or PayPal, so I had to do a bank transfer which cost an extra £9 for the transaction. Total cost...£120.

Not cheap but they do look good quality, I've been thinking of getting the GIVI engine guard, seen them on line for £132 and they look quite neat

Had my first go on an AT

Gaz at ABW in Manchester now has one for rental , as well as a new GS
Rallye . He kindly loaned me a lid let me have a quick go around the industrial estate .

I can't comment much on the ride as I was in my work clothes / loafers, short sleeve shirt and mo gloves so just took it around the block but as many have commented it feels so much smaller and lighter than the weight figures suggest. The other thing was how much the engine felt / sound per just like my 750 Super Tenere from 89 . If I shut my eyes I was back on my old bike but with a bit more go. Feet up full lock U turns a doodle, can't do that on my Crosstourer DCT without fear of dropping it . Forks didn't seem to dive under braking as much as I thought they would but the brakes didn't have the bite of the radials on my CT.

I would need to rent it for a day to try the handling on the open road and to see if I'd miss the lack of power compared to my V4.

Give Gaz or Becky a call if you fancy renting one :thumb

Sargent have now released their take on aftermarket seats. I hope it's as good as I found their GS offering. :thumb2

Attachments

• FF7744B5-9034-4C77-904E-5C6DB36A6439-9081-000005514A4CE2BD.jpeg
    FF7744B5-9034-4C77-904E-5C6DB36A6439-9081-000005514A4CE2BD.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 310
FWIW Seat Concepts offers two different seats for the AT, a regular similar to the Sargent pictured, and Rally which is taller like a flat, one-piece rally seat.

I have the regular and it's a nice improvement, allowing you to sit at the very back without the sliding forward effect. It's also more affordable than Sargent. I'll post a pic later when I get to my computer.

Sargent seat now ordered (delivery not expected until end of September). They have a 10% discount offer on at the moment until Sunday 13th at midnight. I've ordered the front seat only (I never take a pillion) and the configuration has come in, after discount, ar £349.40. Northern Ireland postage an extra £10.

If you live on the mainland and just go for bog stock, it comes in at £339.60 after discount.

I'm seriously thinking about a tri-colored DCT Bike

if would be good if you guys could give me your thoughts on the following, as I want to add side protection bars but also want to keep the weight down

Has anyone changed the end can .....any recommendations? ..... a Remus can will halve the weight of the stock silencer
Do you really need a centre stand ...... probably yes ..... but it's heavy
Which protection bars .....?
I would do all my own maintenance - do you need to remove the engine and side protection bars to access all the areas needed to do this
I would not use hard luggage but would want the mounting frames - any recommendations for frames
Has anyone changed the foot-pegs
Tyres - any recommendations for 50/50 offroad/tarmac type tyres
which radiator and front light protection?

Full Arrow Ti system plus Hilltop remap
Centerstand a must for me
Waiting for GSG crashbungs
Dealer serviced while under warranty
I've the hard luggage, but there are options for racks to suit soft kit
OE pegs
I'll never need 50/50 tyres
OE rad guards, no headlamp protection

Back
Top Bottom