Come on guys who owns an Africa Twin ???

Cheeky sod. I'm hard at work
61f9ef40a6de52a089ccd50e010f703c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to get a bit curious about the AT, but coming from the big KTM I'm wondering how the engine will compare. Anyone gone the same way and able to provide some real world comparative feedback? Given my inherent laziness, I'm also curious about the DCT over manual...

I'm starting to get a bit curious about the AT, but coming from the big KTM I'm wondering how the engine will compare. Anyone gone the same way and able to provide some real world comparative feedback? Given my inherent laziness, I'm also curious about the DCT over manual...

I did just that and TBH, I did worry that I'd made a mistake during the whole protracted launch campaign. Glad to say, I'm more than happy with my decision. It's too easy to say it lacks power, it lacks the kudos, it lacks the electronics etc etc.
However, it makes me happy with just how it goes about its business. Some might say it's a typical Honda, does everything it says on the tin, but it's more than that. I binned the stock Craplop tyres from the word go, so it handles really well despite the 21" front wheel. It's more stable than my 1190 was loaded with panniers and topbox at speed. The power is more than enough for my needs (yes, more would be nice but we're back into that horsepower race of late and that's not what the AT is about) and it's more economical than the KTM.

My dealers machine was the DCT. I'm fairly familiar with this system (I did 500 miles on a Crosstourer DCT) and actually love it, but chickened out when putting my order in. I don't regret that decision, but sometimes think I should have gone DCT as it is superb.

In summary, I don't mss the 1190, especially as mine was a '13 early model and had more than it's fair share of problems/recalls. I actually like the 'Hondaness' of the AT and maybe it just suits my current frame of mind.

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 477
I read just last week that every model that Honda offer both gearboxes on the DCT now outsells the manual version. It really is a great gearbox. i use it mostly in manual mode when I'm pushing on a bit or riding a twisty road and then the auto when I'm in the mood for just cruising, in traffic or on the motorway.

I did just that and TBH, I did worry that I'd made a mistake during the whole protracted launch campaign. Glad to say, I'm more than happy with my decision. It's too easy to say it lacks power, it lacks the kudos, it lacks the electronics etc etc.
However, it makes me happy with just how it goes about its business. Some might say it's a typical Honda, does everything it says on the tin, but it's more than that. I binned the stock Craplop tyres from the word go, so it handles really well despite the 21" front wheel. It's more stable than my 1190 was loaded with panniers and topbox at speed. The power is more than enough for my needs (yes, more would be nice but we're back into that horsepower race of late and that's not what the AT is about) and it's more economical than the KTM.

My dealers machine was the DCT. I'm fairly familiar with this system (I did 500 miles on a Crosstourer DCT) and actually love it, but chickened out when putting my order in. I don't regret that decision, but sometimes think I should have gone DCT as it is superb.

In summary, I don't mss the 1190, especially as mine was a '13 early model and had more than it's fair share of problems/recalls. I actually like the 'Hondaness' of the AT and maybe it just suits my current frame of mind.

Seems my interest in the AT may be short lived, apparently Blade Honda/Group are unable to "underwrite" my late 2015 KTM 1290 SA as a part-ex on the AT DCT with full touring pack etc, so I guess they have now pushed me to other manufacturers...

I rode over to Bury to see the new @ at John Banks (which as it happened is where I brought my GSA). It's looked really good and I took a new 17 plate out for a test drive (two up with Mrs L) and doubled its mileage to 60.

I am very tempted and really liked it. It's a lot cheaper than a new GS and was easy to ride (and a lot more comfy than the GS Rallye I had last month). I was also tempted by the PCP offer of £1000 down and £109 a month (although I guess this is more if you get a pack of extras) - since I'm riding a lot less atm this sort of deal makes more sense. Something I'm going to look into a bit more anyway.

Seems my interest in the AT may be short lived, apparently Blade Honda/Group are unable to "underwrite" my late 2015 KTM 1290 SA as a part-ex on the AT DCT with full touring pack etc, so I guess they have now pushed me to other manufacturers...

I wanted to trade a Multistrada for my AT and Blade weren't interested which i thought odd as they have a Ducati franchise within the group, anyway I spoke to the nice people at Crescent Honda and Justin sorted it for me. (I never actually traded the Mulit because I was able to sell it privately before the AT arrived)

Errr,find another dealer?
To be candid, my curiosity in the AT was not outright desire, so whilst I'm a little disappointed with the outcome from Blade, I can't be arsed to play chase the Honda dealer when ideally I want to deal with one who is reasonably local to me.

I read just last week that every model that Honda offer both gearboxes on the DCT now outsells the manual version. It really is a great gearbox. i use it mostly in manual mode when I'm pushing on a bit or riding a twisty road and then the auto when I'm in the mood for just cruising, in traffic or on the motorway.

Well, I am one of the few it seems who hate dct. I have now run it on an Integra for 18months and 7k miles. I find it dim witted in auto and very very crude and clunky in the 0-20mph zone where my Integra spends most of its time commuting in central London. Its much better in urban/suburban cruising at the 30-60mph range, but then again any manual would be better there....

The one advantage on the Integra is that you can wear your office shoes withour marking them. But so you could in any other scooter. And the sh*ttiest machines ever made ( starts with a P and ends in iaggio) are actually much better commuters than an Integra dct. I can see zero advantages on a proper bike.

Theop
as we have discussed in the Integra forum the newer DCT on the later Integra / Africa Twin is so much better with the different sports modes so much so that after trying one on a 2016 integra I ordered the X-Adv back on the 1st of December it should be here within the next couple of weeks (should be !!)

the one thing that pisses me off about Honda is that they cant / wont give you any details on the delivery or what the bike will have fitted untill it is at the bloody dealers they have had my £2k deposit for 4 months now !! with BMW i knew when they were fitting it up when it was shipped and where it was at all times, maybe Honda should be a bit more informative with there customers

Rob

Well, I am one of the few it seems who hate dct. I have now run it on an Integra for 18months and 7k miles. I find it dim witted in auto and very very crude and clunky in the 0-20mph zone where my Integra spends most of its time commuting in central London. Its much better in urban/suburban cruising at the 30-60mph range, but then again any manual would be better there....

The one advantage on the Integra is that you can wear your office shoes withour marking them. But so you could in any other scooter. And the sh*ttiest machines ever made ( starts with a P and ends in iaggio) are actually much better commuters than an Integra dct. I can see zero advantages on a proper bike.

I think you may have bought the wrong scooter-cycle altogether if I may be so bold. The integra is trying too hard to be something it isn't , it's not a very good scooter at all and it's a very poor motorcycle. You'd probably have been better off with a T Max for your regular commute. I find The DCT gearbox has some great advantages over a regular gearbox and there are only a few occasions , tricky , extremely slow manoeuvres / uturns where I miss the clutch.

Just got back tonight from a 3 day wibble/wobble around the north of England and the Scottish Borders , 1022 miles in total and I concluded that my next bike would probably have to be an AT because I would miss the DCT box. It's a blast !

Have to agree Ian, the whole bike is a blast, I love it, 15,000 miles on my DCT , can't fault it, shame about the spokes , but i fitted the Alpina wheels,

Have to agree Ian, the whole bike is a blast, I love it, 15,000 miles on my DCT , can't fault it, shame about the spokes , but i fitted the Alpina wheels,

Just a round trip to Stoke short of 15,000 now on my DCT Crosstourer too Graham :thumb

Of course it's taken me a bit longer to get that figure thanks it's taken you ;)

Just realised I've had my AT for a year, I think I'll need to try and get out on it a bit more, 900 miles so far, I think it's gonna take a while to get to 15K

I've had the right hand switch cluster go 3 weeks ago, it came in yesterday, The starter button goes faulty, starts up but stops almost immediately , goes like this a few times before it runs properly,

Not sure if this is of interest was in castle motorcycles store today and they have seven or eight new ones sitting there, is there still a shortage

Only had mine a couple of weeks but

Feckin awesome machine with the DCT box. I'll hopefully stick some miles on it this Easter weekend. I broke my left wrist in a bike accident many years ago and it was never set properly so I've suffered with it for ages. This A-T with the DCT box is a godsend

Back
Top Bottom