BMW R1100S Repaint + Refresh

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I bought my R11S a couple of months ago, despite it being a 99 with 50k on the clock it's a really clean bike with minimal corrosion. It seems to have been very well looked after.

It's fitted with Lazer cans (Standard cat) and an MRA adjustable smoked screen. I whipped the Top Box off as soon as I got the bike and fitted longer brake lines to allow the clip ons to be fitted above the yoke.

I do like the bike in plain black but I paint / build / restore motorcycles for a living so couldn't resist the temptation to give the old girl a bit of a lift.

I've been ridiculously busy over the last 6-8 weeks getting bikes ready for 'the season' but finally today I managed to roll my 11 up on the ramp and make a start.

In addition to the paintwork I have just bought a Lazer decat section from evilbay, a bunch of new black stainless fixing hardware, new grips, new rear indicators, a seat cowl and a few other bits n pieces.

I will have the seat re-trimmed to match the new paintwork.

Here she is before I started (previous owners photo)

$_57 by tunneruk, on Flickr

And here she is after today's strip down!

IMG_2062 by tunneruk, on Flickr

There's a bit of electrical .... err ....tidying to do too ...... :eek but in fairness it's 99% related to the tail tidy fitment, aside from that it's untouched!

IMG_2064 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2066 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Hi Chris can I ask where you got your longer brakeline from I am thinking of fitting some rapid dpgs barbacks http://www.rapiddog.net to my R1100S, edit (eeeek having checked the price I might go the flat bar route)

Looking forward to your paint job

I have had mine for about 6 months and I love the way it rides, it has a ton of character.

Last edited:
Hi Chris can I ask where you got your longer brakeline from I am thinking of fitting some rapid dpgs barbacks http://www.rapiddog.net to my R1100S

Looking forward to your paint job

I have had mine for about 6 months and I love the way it rides, it has a ton of character.

I bought my lines via a trade parts supplier. They're HEL stainless with black sheathing. I wanted them to look fairly stock. From memory they were a little over £90 including stainless banjo bolts and copper washers.

Always liked the mandarin and gray standard scheme on the 1100S. Looking fw to this ...

Jeez you guys are worse than customers ..."Is it finished yet ... is it finished yet .." :D

I have made a little progress today.

I'm trying out some paint from a new supplier and adding a few extra ingredients to lift it a little. On that basis I have decided to paint the seat cowl in it's entirety before I move on to the rest of the bike. If I don't like it or the colours don't work out then I can just paint over it. I will warn those that are salivating over the prospect of a full on custom job that I'm going to be playing this one family safe. It's an R1100S and I'm going to paint it in a manner fitting with that ilk of bike using a scheme that I've used before. So, they'll be no crazy candy greens or flipped out pearl oranges.

That said, it should look pretty cool though!

I've made a start on the seat cowl this morning, in between coats I wheeled the naked bike outside for a good old scrub down ;)

IMG_2080 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2077 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2076 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2075 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I always thought these would look good as a streetfighter

Well it's like this, I did finish the seat cowl yesterday but sadly I'm not happy with the colour effects so I rubbed it down this morning and started again, I've had a bit of running around to do today so only managed to get it's white, pearl and xiralic clear coats on, I'll mask it up and lay the colours on tomorrow. Hopefully this time I'll be happy with the result!

IMG_2081 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2082 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2083 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2084 by tunneruk, on Flickr

As usual I've gone further than I was planning, it's a question of "Just doing that bit so I might as well do that bit .... and that bit" :blast

I've bought a Laser decay Y piece which I will clean up before fitting, this of course will make the headers look dull so I've removed them too. In turn this has revealed the classic rusty exhaust studs which I'll address before I refit the headers.

I'm awaiting a chemical cleaner from Germany to bring the Stainless back up to spec.

I will paint the fork bottoms and bottom yoke seeing as they're out of the bike too ......

I've gone as far back with the bike as I'm going to, if I take anything else off it I might as well do a full bloody resto!

Time for a wash up and some paintwork I reckon!

IMG_2100 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2098 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2096 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2089 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Well that was an interesting couple of hours!

The mission - To extract the rotted exhaust stud.

I started with a bit of heat and the old 'double nut' trick ...... No chance, the stud just snapped.

However, there was still 15mm of thread showing so I would another nut on and welded it on, the hope being that the heat transferred would help release the thread, each time I just managed to snap a bit more stud off .... five times in fact :D

IMG_2101 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2102 by tunneruk, on Flickr

So, undeterred, I went back to basics and got stuck in -

IMG_2103 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2104 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I was very lucky in that I managed to drill out the old stud and just leave a coil of thread which came out like a spring. I ran a top down the hole and wound in the new stud!

IMG_2105 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2107 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2109 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The result of this is that I've got naff all painting done today! :blast

Nice job Chris, but how the F*** did you manage such a straight and clean pilot hole without removing the engine and putting it on a jig.

Respect

Nice job Chris, but how the F*** did you manage such a straight and clean pilot hole without removing the engine and putting it on a jig.

Respect

Well ... I refitted the header and bolted it up with the good stud, this then gave me a guide to centre drill the broken stud (through the hole in the flange)

It was then a case of sharpening up my series of drill bits and being very careful. I was however 50/50 whether it would be successful so had my M8 helicoil kit ready and waiting.

I won't lie, I'm surprised how well I managed track the original thread, I literally pulled out what was left of the stud like a coiled spring. Let's call it 50% care and attention and 50% luck :D

Back
Top Bottom