GARMISCH 2016

Gordyman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having just got back from my bike trip up the east coast of Australia I am already getting withdrawal symptoms. So I am thinking about a trip to the BMW extravaganza at Garmisch next week. I went a few years ago and had a good time. This time I am thinking about camping there as its cheaper and also all the hotels will be fully booked anyway.
I can't get on the road until late Wednesday evening. So I am thinking about getting the channel tunnel train at about 10 to 10.30 pm ish. Staying at a formula one type place in Lille (about 80 miles from the tunnel) and then getting an early start at about 6am to ride down to the Garmisch. The trip from Lille will avoid motor ways and a quick AA route check reckons about 14 hours. So at the moment I am thinking about trying to crack 10 hours worth of the trip on Thursday and have an early start again on Friday morning with an aim to be at Garmisch by mid morning. In this way I should be able to get a camping spot and hopefully park the bike nearby. The mileage from Lille is 556 according to the AA route planner. I know I can do it a lot quicker if I use the mways but the ride to and from Garmisch is the best bit.
Anyone out there got a better idea or suggestions for better route or approach with this time frame in mind? ideas much appreciated as always.
Cheers

Isn't Lille one of the places where the footy is taking place ? I don't know for sure as I have no interest in it but if it is, you might have trouble finding a unoccupied F1.

May as well go early Thursday morning and do it in one dash.
Half thinking of the same trip myself but 2 ferries for us.

Hmm forgot about football. I think you are probably right patzx12 probably best to leave early Thursday. I have about a 2hour run to the channel tunnel so if I leave at about 3.30 I should be off the shuttle by 7 the latest. Long day riding (def not going to use Mways) Thursday should put me in good position for early start Friday to get there mid to late morning. Yep the more I think about it the this is a better option.

hi Gordy,
we booked this morning ferry + Eurotunnel big miles so a main road dash.
i get off the Eurotunnel 8 pm Wednesday and will probably do an hour before dropping into an Ibis.
I got a chalet this morning 5km from the rally for a good price 4 nights.
I used Booking.com

Back
Top Bottom